Paradigm S6 v2 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Some speaker companies need no introduction. There are few names that are as associated with speakers as Paradigm. One approaches a speaker of this caliber with a sort of reverence. You don't play music through them; you allow them to recreate the music for you. The Signature 6's are an expensive speaker, but for that you get fantastic build quality, great sonics, and aesthetics to die for. The Paradigm S6's present a laid back but full soundstage that is both wide and deep. Bassy, full, with a detailed high end, the S6's aren't the perfect speaker, but they may be right for you.

Discuss "Paradigm S6 v2 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review" here. Read the article.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you Tom for the long awaited review of the Paradigm S6.
Thank you for taking the time to do it right..

I have been waiting for a more in depth review of that speaker. I love the looks of Paradigms Sig line... Super cool to see the close up pics of the cabinet, drivers and overall build quality... They sure are sweet looking, and that birdeye is very pretty...

I have to agree with the implementation of the feet on the Paradigm line, Although I use the little feet spikes with the rubber ends and not the spikes on my beautiful hardwood floor. They are a pain in the butt to adjust and lock in place. But they look really nice.

I have always lusted at the Sig line, looks are top notch in my book, still have yet to have a chance to hear them...

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
While I certainly couldnt comment on the sound just looking at the speakers up close inside and out they seem to leave me expecting more from a set of speakers for 5k.

Those spikes are a major let down too. May seem like a stupid thing to pick on but really. Those are some of the cheapest looking spikes you can buy. :eek:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I can tell you that If I was going to invest that kind of money in a set of speakers, I would be more likely looking closely at something in the Aerial Acoustics.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Why give the S6s a value rating of only 3 stars when you infer that this one of the best sounding speakers you've tested? Maybe it takes this much money to get to this level of refinement?

Tweeters getting harsh at a 100db? I'm thinking your ears are beginning to break down at a 100db or room acoustics is starting to come into play at that SPL. For all intense purposes, I think you were nit picking with that statement.

Other than that, I liked the review.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Why give the S6s a value rating of only 3 stars when you infer that this one of the best sounding speakers you've tested? Maybe it takes this much money to get to this level of refinement?

Tweeters getting harsh at a 100db? I'm thinking your ears are beginning to break down at a 100db or room acoustics is starting to come into play at that SPL. For all intense purposes, I think you were nit picking with that statement.

Other than that, I liked the review.
I haven't received an answer to my question yet. :( Why the valuer rating of 3 stars when you infer its one of the best speakers Audioholics has ever tested? :confused:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Still patiently waiting for my answer to my original question.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe they took off two points for the spikes. The spike deal is silly; spikes do not decouple the speakers from the floor they more likely tie them into the floor. I threw my spikes into my HT closet and put some rubber pads between the floor and speakers.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The value rating is based on the MSRP. They are a very nice speaker but for $5k, you can get more.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The value rating is based on the MSRP. They are a very nice speaker but for $5k, you can get more.
Have you reviewed anything at Audioholics that was better? If so, please point that out. Which speakers are "more"?

I'm having difficulty understanding the final rating given them because of how the review claimed how great sounding they are. The reviewer even noticed a huge difference in sound quality over RBH which is one of the more favoured speakers here. The final score given and the review given are inconsistant. It doesn't add up. There in lies my difficulty in understanding this review. If you are indeed comparing it to other 5K speakers, maybe these speakers should be mentioned in the review. Otherwise, your response to my question has very little substance behind it and becomes more of a personal choice rather than an objective one. :confused: I apologize if I come across as harsh. Its not my intention to be harsh.

Thaedium

Thaedium

Audioholic
I'm running with the Studio 100 v.4's right now, and had some similar experiences as this review with the S6's. I've noticed that when I play loud I get the feeling the tweeter cannot keep up with the material being played, and theres a moment where I think maybe a different speaker would be better suited. But then I look around, take note of my hard wood floor, complete lack of any form of room treatments, my seated position beneath the tweeter, etc, and I realize that what I have is capable of more if only I gave it the environment it deserves.

I've always felt however that Paradigm has bought into its own branding hype, and as such even though you get a great product, your paying extra for the name associated to it. I think this is what was meant by the value rating it has recieved. There are often times when I wonder if there was a better speaker out there for what I paid for my studios.

3db brings up an interesting point however regarding this value rating. If these are the best speakers you've reviewed in its category, or only speakers in this particular category you've reviewed then it would seem to me that the value rating is more speculation on your part then experience. Not sure how many speakers out there that compete with the Signature series are cheaper, and just as beautiful to listen to. Though I've no doubt they're there.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm running with the Studio 100 v.4's right now, and had some similar experiences as this review with the S6's. I've noticed that when I play loud I get the feeling the tweeter cannot keep up with the material being played, and theres a moment where I think maybe a different speaker would be better suited. But then I look around, take note of my hard wood floor, complete lack of any form of room treatments, my seated position beneath the tweeter, etc, and I realize that what I have is capable of more if only I gave it the environment it deserves.

I've always felt however that Paradigm has bought into its own branding hype, and as such even though you get a great product, your paying extra for the name associated to it. I think this is what was meant by the value rating it has recieved. There are often times when I wonder if there was a better speaker out there for what I paid for my studios.

3db brings up an interesting point however regarding this value rating. If these are the best speakers you've reviewed in its category, or only speakers in this particular category you've reviewed then it would seem to me that the value rating is more speculation on your part then experience. Not sure how many speakers out there that compete with the Signature series are cheaper, and just as beautiful to listen to. Though I've no doubt they're there.
Thanks. I'm not a Paradigm fan but I can spot inconsistencies when I read reviews. From a build perspective and a sound perspective they were given high marks and then a value rating of 3 out of 5. I think it was a subjective rating and not an obejective one. Its inconsistencies like this that begin to damage the credability of the reviews on this site. I'm not letting this thread die until I receive a more satisfactory answer instead of a trite one line response. People deserve an honest and well though out answer.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not letting this thread die until I receive a more satisfactory answer instead of a trite one line response. People deserve an honest and well though out answer.
You are like a pesky little gnat on this one 3db! :confused:

I can see your point that it good overall good reviews, except in the price department. So why the failing grade (3 out of 5 = 60% = F)? And that was Tom's explanation. Although he did not precisely say in so many words, the rating suffered because of value (lack of). I guess my take is the message is clear: they've taken 1 1/2-2 stars off a 5 star scale because the unit is vastly overpriced, so steer clear. At perhaps 3k msrp (the price of the studio 100's), maybe they're a catch.

I am a Paradigm fan! Studios and servo!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You are like a pesky little gnat on this one 3db! :confused:

I can see your point that it good overall good reviews, except in the price department. So why the failing grade (3 out of 5 = 60% = F)? And that was Tom's explanation. Although he did not precisely say in so many words, the rating suffered because of value (lack of). I guess my take is the message is clear: they've taken 1 1/2-2 stars off a 5 star scale because the unit is vastly overpriced, so steer clear. At perhaps 3k msrp (the price of the studio 100's), maybe they're a catch.

I am a Paradigm fan! Studios and servo!
I'm a pest because I'm trying to understand the inconsistency. So based on what you're saying, any speaker no matter how well they are built and sound will only ever get a value rating of 3 stars? :confused: Are you saying that speakers over a MSRP of 3K are not good value?

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
3dB, how do you think the S6 would stack against PSB Platinum T6 or even Synchrony One...Two very popular speakers in that price range.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
3dB, how do you think the S6 would stack against PSB Platinum T6 or even Synchrony One...Two very popular speakers in that price range.
I don't know. I'm going to have a few days off and I'll put that on my to do list. :D

The S6 would be head to head with the Plat6 but which is better is subjective I guess. I would like to compare the Synchrony1 to either a Plat6 or Plat8. The Synch one has garned favourable reviews from Sound & Vision, Home Theater Magazine, and Perfect Vision (??? I think its called that). I'll have to go to the shop when things are slow so I don't waste anyone's time except my own. :)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'm a pest because I'm trying to understand the inconsistency. So based on what you're saying, any speaker no matter how well they are built and sound will only ever get a value rating of 3 stars? :confused: Are you saying that speakers over a MSRP of 3K are not good value?
I'm just a fly in the ointment 3db...a fly in the ointment. :)

No, I'm not saying that, nor do I think is the author. I can tell you that I expect a lot for 3k, let alone 5k. And I get it, or I don't spend it.

I cannot speak of the S6's...I've never heard them. Nor will I anytime in the proximate future.

As you are not a paradigm fan, you won't understand this. I love my studios and my servo. I am not left wanting. Nor am I a conspicuous consumer, or one of society's malcontents. :p I should be happy with my current speaker setup for years to come. :)

And as you are not a Paradigm fan, your purpose is to elicit the subjectiveness in this speaker test...you have said as much. But you must already know that the quantification of a speaker's inherent qualities is by fiat subjective...we do not all hear alike...and the same things sound different to different people. How much subjectivity Tom, Gene or anyone else allows in their testing I cannot speak to. So on that note...:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To me it was clear, the S6 sounds great, looks good, well built, but they are considered overpriced by the reviewer because there are lower priced speakers out there they think are of equal or similar value. Before I bought my Energy Veritas 2.3i I auditioned the S2, and the S8. I found the S2 better looking but at roughly the same price (with the stands) point as the 2.3i, the decision was easy for me because the 2.3i sounds significantly better overall.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis