BluRay to offer 5 free discs with all players INCLUDING PS3

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Disc_Marketing/Blu-ray_Disc_Association_Offers_Five_Free_Discs_Player_Promotion/725

Excerpt:

As part of a unique online promotion, the Blu-ray Disc Association on July 1 will begin offering a "five free discs" deal with the purchase of any new Blu-ray disc player.

Between July 1 and September 30, consumers who purchase any new Blu-ray player (including the PlayStation 3) will automatically qualify to receive five free Blu-ray movies (out of a total selection of twenty-two titles).
Presumably this is due to Toshiba offering 5 free discs for purchasing a player.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I was thinking the other day that I wish one of them would win the war asap already (blu-ray for me)

but then I thought, what if one of them wins, and since there is no more competition, will deals like this and cheap players also go out the window?

will sony raise prices again?

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Until I can rent some HD movies... I'll stick with DVDs. What's the use of having a player if have to buy the movies to watch them?! Even if they offer a 499$ player with 5 movies.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Its a trade-off you have to live with.... HD movies or medical marijuana. Choose wisely. :D

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Both Netflix and BB rent both formats online.
It won't be too long before Blockbuster is carrying Blu-Ray exclusively. Here's the link:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/18/blockbuster.blu.ray.ap/index.html?eref=edition_technology

I have to imagine that is a huge blow to HD-DVD as people realize that they will no longer be able to get HD-DVD's at their neighborhood Blockbuster and those who have not made their mind will see that Blu-Ray is their only choice at Blockbuster. This is a snippet from the cnn article, "LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc. will rent high-definition DVDs only in the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month, dealing a major blow to the rival HD DVD format."

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Blockbuster Inc. will rent high-definition DVDs only in the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month, dealing a major blow to the rival HD DVD format."
If Sony was so sure they had a winner, they wouldn't be giving anything away. It sounds like they are getting nervous to me.

D

dhead1

Enthusiast
mouettus,

I was wondering if you are sending optical out from your toshiba to your reciever? An if so does your HD broadcast cut in and out but just through the reciever?

Duane

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
If you read the article, it says that BB will continue to keep HD DVDs in the stores it already has them in. They will continue to offer them online as well, so Clint is correct....for now. BD only will be in the expansion stores. Who knows what they will do in the future.

It won't be too long before Blockbuster is carrying Blu-Ray exclusively. Here's the link:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/18/blockbuster.blu.ray.ap/index.html?eref=edition_technology

I have to imagine that is a huge blow to HD-DVD as people realize that they will no longer be able to get HD-DVD's at their neighborhood Blockbuster and those who have not made their mind will see that Blu-Ray is their only choice at Blockbuster. This is a snippet from the cnn article, "LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Blockbuster Inc. will rent high-definition DVDs only in the Blu-ray format in 1,450 stores when it expands its high-def offerings next month, dealing a major blow to the rival HD DVD format."

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hollywood video also has both formats in select stores too. I've been renting BluRay for a few months already....

Blockbuster should have BD in most stores next month.

Sony isn't getting nervous, just matching the deal offered by Toshiba that ends at the end of July.

H

hurricanes

Audiophyte
purchased on eBay?

I just bought a brand new ps3 on ebay. Do you think that would count for this offer? I can try it anyway for the price of a postage stamp...

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I hope Sony wins this battle so I can go buy a new DVD player.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I hope Sony wins this battle so I can go buy a new DVD player.
Help them win by buying one now :)

I just bought a brand new ps3 on ebay. Do you think that would count for this offer? I can try it anyway for the price of a postage stamp...
I have no idea. Let us know if it works.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis