Subwoofer tutorial?

B

brushro

Audioholic
Where might I find one?...I need to understand all the techno talk to help me pick a decent one out for my application.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Here are some articles that will give you some reading material...
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/

Alot of people here can also help you, if you give us some general info...
Room Size in Cu. Ft., budget, other equipment, Music/HT uses...

From there we can lend some ideas that will help narrow your search in this overwhelming category... :)

B

brushro

Audioholic
subwoofer info

O.K-Here we go...
Room:14ftw x 17ftL
Equipment:
Sherborne 125w amp x 7
Emotiva DMC-1 Pre-Pro
Fronts:Axiom 80's
Center:paradigm CC-450
Cables: Blue Jeans
Denon DVM-4800 5 Disc changer (soon to be gone for a single disc unit)
System uses:HT & Music...lite & hard rock
I've submitted another post re: not really feeling that I have enough room for this sized speaker w/ this amp...I'm experiencing alot of bass & boominess so my thinking is:buy a smaller set of front speakers & add a small sub.
I'm not setting a budget yet until I gather more tech info for my specific issues.
Thanx to all!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
That bass and boominess (B&B)might be minimized by experimenting with your placement of the mains. Generally, B&B is enhanced when the speakers are near walls or corners so, to cut down on that effect, you might want to try moving them away from those and more towwards the center of the room.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I've submitted another post re: not really feeling that I have enough room for this sized speaker w/ this amp...I'm experiencing alot of bass & boominess so my thinking is:buy a smaller set of front speakers & add a small sub.
I'm not setting a budget yet until I gather more tech info for my specific issues.
Thanx to all!
Sound quality issues, bass in particular, are usually room acoustic issues, not equipment issues. Getting a small sub may help because you can move it around to find the best location. My experience is that corner placement of a sub is the is the worst place to put it if you are experiencing boomieness problems. I think I already posted in your other thread about the benefits of bass traps.

Nick

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Well, I am a little confused. When you select the discuss in forum button for the Italian vs. American Westerns, you get directed here.

Jeff Larsons review prompted me to watch "Once upon a time in the West", by Sergio Leone via my NetFlix account last night.

I was very impressed with the video transfer on many of the close ups. And, as Jeff pointed out, the wide landscape shots and the attention to set detail and costumes was readily apparent through most of the movie. It was also played in Dolby Digital 5.1. I was expecting a much older format with poor video quality and was pleasantly surprised.

I was also surprised that I had not remembered seeing this movie in its entirety. It is a slow moving film that focuses on the artistic aspects of movie making and it is appreciated but it can be old after about the tenth time of lamenting over such slow moving scenes.

The plot was very well done. It did not reveal itself blatantly and it always kept you wondering exactly what are the motives of the different characters and what was the true treasure that everyone was getting killed over. I like that. Most movies tend to insult the intelligence or divulge the plot way too early in the movie leaving nothing to think about.

The acting is very good although the dialogue is hard to follow unless you pay close attention. The music is very memorable and even if you have never seen the film, you will recognize the music style implemented.

Some of the close ups were truly remarkable and far exceeded my expectations for detail in such an old film. I was also surprised that their was a short wait on NetFlix for the DVD.

My only negative comments is that it does move a little slow at times and the auction scene was a little less than convincing.

It is one of those classics that is a must see and it can be appreciated for its artistic statments but its slow pace hurts its overall package and I can understand why other westerns are more popular.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm experiencing alot of bass & boominess so my thinking is:buy a smaller set of front speakers & add a small sub.
Thanx to all!
As I told you the first time you asked this very same question, you're continuing to bark up the wrong tree.

Reposting the same question over and over, and hoping to get an answer "you like" isn't going to make your room sound better. If you continue to persistently ignore the acoustic reality of your soundroom, then you cannot be helped.

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Buckeye,

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. :p
That comment made me cringe!! It gave me a flashback of a freshman year college Calc course I took 20 years ago.

Geesh.... I'd attempt to solve the same problem 10 times on an exam, and the end result would be 10 different answers.:eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis