MagnaLev ML5 Isolator Electromagnetic AV Rack

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When I say that it is RARE that we review anything that truly takes us by surprise, I mean it. We've seen just about everything and the trade shows ensure that we aren't typically taken by surprise on new product announcements. This new product by MagnaLev, however, came out of nowhere and was first demonstrated at IIC-China earlier this month. We had a colleague who was in town for the show (in addition to some other manufacturing work) and caught site of this new product. A couple weeks later, we had a MagnaLev rack in for review. This may be the most prolific invention for consumer electronics since Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek invented the flip phone. It's just freakin cool.

Discuss "MagnaLev ML5 Isolator Electromagnetic AV Rack" here. Read the article.

C

ceberle

Audiophyte
OK, I got the cool factor but seriously... this wouldn't provide any sonic benefit would it? I've seen other products that isolate gear from the rack that are marketed as a sonic improvement but I always figured it was BS.

Chris

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Same here.

Can't seem to find a website for these guys either...

pikers

pikers

Audioholic
OK, I got the cool factor but seriously... this wouldn't provide any sonic benefit would it? I've seen other products that isolate gear from the rack that are marketed as a sonic improvement but I always figured it was BS.

Chris
Vibrational isolation isn't BS :rolleyes:

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
When you put your equipment on to this rack (up to 150 pounds per shelf) a powerful distributed electromagnetic system will lift your gear and float it about 3/16" to 1/4" off the shelf - depending upon the weight of the component.

great for adjusting your levels.lol:rolleyes:

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
You can't be serious?

Ok, give it up, April Fool's right?

Sorry I haven't responded. Seems like we're having a bit of a bug with the new site. I can see all the pics when I enter the review but not when I view it normally - that should now be fixed. I've been working on this for most of the weekend.

And oh yeah, it's real stuff. They are a brand new company so they aren't moving with a fully-functioning website just yet and are just functioning with a focus on building dealers.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
If it's not an April's fool, it should be.;) :D Now, who's the fool who's going to buy?;) :D :D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Assuming this were real, why electromagnets? So it can handle more weight? There are plenty of floating platforms using rare earth magnets to hold the shelves up.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Using Biot Savart Law ( Db = Uo*IdLx*Ir) / (4*pi*r^2) where L and I are vectors, you can calculate the relationship between the magnetic field contribution and its source current. What I am curious about is how they overcame Young’s Modulus during intermittent field density gradients during from the change in flux density when the magnetic field changes from static to dynamic equilibrium. I will have to call their E&M Engineers on this shortly or perhaps ask Jneutron.

K

k-y

Audiophyte
Sorry I haven't responded. Seems like we're having a bit of a bug with the new site. I can see all the pics when I enter the review but not when I view it normally - that should now be fixed. I've been working on this for most of the weekend.

And oh yeah, it's real stuff. They are a brand new company so they aren't moving with a fully-functioning website just yet and are just functioning with a focus on building dealers.
Is this where we say "riiight"?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
lets examine this a bit closer

for one, the picture does not appear to be any such "maglev" rack. The shelves are clearly attached.

and, i have yet to read a review from this site where nearly every category got 5 stars, Especially not rack that costs nearly 3 grand.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Using Biot Savart Law ( Db = Uo*IdLx*Ir) / (4*pi*r^2) where L and I are vectors, you can calculate the relationship between the magnetic field contribution and its source current. What I am curious about is how they overcame Young’s Modulus during intermittent field density gradients during from the change in flux density when the magnetic field changes from static to dynamic equilibrium. I will have to call their E&M Engineers on this shortly or perhaps ask Jneutron.
I think that this sums it up quite well. A nicely done, and timely, review.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
It does have a cool factor, but it seems to have the potential of creating just as many problems as it is trying to resolve.

Electro Motive Interference is a serious problem and not something that is good for audio\video. Way worse than a potential bump from a passer by.

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
Come on, just the fact the audioholics recommend a rack that cost almost 3 grand, is suspicious. I can buy a new set of speakers with that money, and that really will be a sonic improvement. What's next a magnetic chair that lifts you off the ground so you can hear better with out vibrations....And if it is really a April’s joke, I take my hat off Gene, this is the best I read so far. By the way the ( ( Db = Uo*IdLx*Ir) / (4*pi*r^2) ) :confused: was so funny that made me cry.:D

T

tmostad

Audiophyte
Anything that can induce a strong enough magnetic field to cause a 150 lb object to levitate will induce a very strong DC bias into any nearby conductor unless it is perfectly magnetically shielded. I wouldn't want to consider getting this anywhere near my Lexicon components but then again since it is only imaginary I suppose that problem is easily "rectified."

sleeper

sleeper

Audioholic Intern
Very nice. I thought those MagnaPlates looked an awful lot like an electric guitar's single coil pickup case.

Very nice, indeed!

sleeper

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis