Monolith 3 Budget Amplifiers Bench Test Results!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Monoprice hired me to beta test a new line of high-value amplifiers for them to compete with Emotiva BasX. In this report, I measure the following amplifiers:
  • M2100X: 90wpc x 2CH (8-ohm) MSRP: $399
  • M3100X: 90wpc x 3CH (8-ohm) MSRP: $499
  • M5100X: 90wpc x 5CH (8-ohm) MSRP: $599
In my testing, I measured Frequency Response, SNR, Crosstalk, and Power with ACD into 8 ohms and 2CH driven into 4 ohms.

It was refreshing to see Monoprice take my recommendation to rate the power of these amplifiers before the Knee in the Power vs Distortion curve.

This is very unusual for budget priced amplifiers like these.

Based on my measurements in this report, these are good amplifiers to help take the pressure off of your AV Receiver by powering the height and surround channels so the AVR can deliver more power to your LCRs. The M2100X had the best noise and distortion performance of the 3 models which would make it well suited for a budget 2CH audiophile set up.

M2100-front.jpg

Read: 3 Budget Monolith Amplifiers Bench Tested

Deal Alert: At the time of publishing, Monoprice is offering a special discount on the M5100X model for only $549!

Note: the M7100X model didn't bench test well so Monoprice is holding off on offering that model for now.

M2100-top.jpg

The three amplifiers are a Class AB design with a large centralized torodial transformer and filter capacitors varying in size and amount based on the channel configurations. Two low noise fans fire directly at the single heatsink housing the amplifier power transistors which only engage on power up or under extreme load

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Awesome Gene thank you! We missed your amplifier reviews! We know you LOVE lifting "Shane Lee" sized AB amps in/out of your rack! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome Gene thank you! We missed your amplifier reviews! We know you LOVE lifting "Shane Lee" sized AB amps in/out of your rack! :D
Have you seen how buff @gene has been looking on his YouTube videos lately? I think all of this lifting AB amps is paying off! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great review @gene man Monoprice is just wrecking it lately. Class D amps? Check. High powered Class AB? Check. Now lower powered more affordable Class AB options? Check.

Monoprice is always putting stuff on killer sales. The HTP-1 just got some amazing Bstock options and on there EBay options A stock as well.

Can you imagine if they put these on a sale sometime? The value proposition would just be beyond stupidly good

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@gene I really like how they state the XLR inputs are unbalanced on they're website. Most companies even though for most companies that don't use truly balanced XLR that's all any of them truly are respect to Monoprice for this

Even though they are not fully balanced can the XLR inputs still help with noise such as ground loops and stuff in a noisy room? I have a noisy bedroom with loops and hums sometimes when I hook stuff up in there. Would the XLR inputs help with this?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't see much use for these myself, but an alternative to Emotiva's BasX line I suppose, somewhat Outlaw's?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Don't see much use for these myself, but an alternative to Emotiva's BasX line I suppose, somewhat Outlaw's?
I don't think they are really competing against Outlaw but they are for sure competing against Emotiva. Also budget amplifiers like the one I bought for my bedroom the OSD Nero.

If they tweak the occasional sale with these they will make a great option for heights and surround channels vs the Emotiva

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think they are really competing against Outlaw but they are for sure competing against Emotiva. Also budget amplifiers like the one I bought for my bedroom the OSD Nero.

If they tweak the occasional sale with these they will make a great option for heights and surround channels vs the Emotiva
I think Emotiva will lose some sales. Outlaw will not be affected much as they don't compete in the <120 W sector.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Some shady going on with SNR higher on Unbalanced connections and LOWER on Balanced? I'd recommend Monorpice to look at it again more carefully this time. Properly implemented balanced should always be superior as far noise rejection.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some shady going on with SNR higher on Unbalanced connections and LOWER on Balanced? I'd recommend Monorpice to look at it again more carefully this time. Properly implemented balanced should always be superior as far noise rejection.
Was it noise rejection differences particularly?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
On Monoprices website they clearly state the XLRs are unbalanced. That's why I asked Gene the question maybe other then marketing they are just they're to help with noise rejection from ground loops or long runs

I am correct that XLRs not fully balanced can still help with those issues am I right?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
On Monoprices website they clearly state the XLRs are unbalanced. That's why I asked Gene the question maybe other then marketing they are just they're to help with noise rejection from ground loops or long runs

I am correct that XLRs not fully balanced can still help with those issues am I right?
No, the XLR connection is balanced, otherwise, it doesn't make much sense to use it other than to confuse buyers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Monoprice hired me to beta test a new line of high-value amplifiers for them to compete with Emotiva BasX. In this report, I measure the following amplifiers:
  • M2100X: 90wpc x 2CH (8-ohm) MSRP: $399
  • M3100X: 90wpc x 3CH (8-ohm) MSRP: $499
  • M5100X: 90wpc x 5CH (8-ohm) MSRP: $599
In my testing, I measured Frequency Response, SNR, Crosstalk, and Power with ACD into 8 ohms and 2CH driven into 4 ohms.

It was refreshing to see Monoprice take my recommendation to rate the power of these amplifiers before the Knee in the Power vs Distortion curve.

This is very unusual for budget priced amplifiers like these.

Based on my measurements in this report, these are good amplifiers to help take the pressure off of your AV Receiver by powering the height and surround channels so the AVR can deliver more power to your LCRs. The M2100X had the best noise and distortion performance of the 3 models which would make it well suited for a budget 2CH audiophile set up.

View attachment 62875

Read: 3 Budget Monolith Amplifiers Bench Tested

Deal Alert: At the time of publishing, Monoprice is offering a special discount on the M5100X model for only $549!

Note: the M7100X model didn't bench test well so Monoprice is holding off on offering that model for now.

View attachment 62874

The three amplifiers are a Class AB design with a large centralized torodial transformer and filter capacitors varying in size and amount based on the channel configurations. Two low noise fans fire directly at the single heatsink housing the amplifier power transistors which only engage on power up or under extreme load
@gene I totally missed this that they held off on the m7100 because it didn't bench test well. That's not the first time Monoprice has pulled a speaker or gear off the market based on a reviewers recommendation. They did it with Erin's audio corner when he found something on the Encore lineup.

I mean so much respect to them for doing that. They really appear to be using reviewers not just to market their products but also to improve them and make sure they meet certain standards. That's impressive

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
@gene I totally missed this that they held off on the m7100 because it didn't bench test well. That's not the first time Monoprice has pulled a speaker or gear off the market based on a reviewers recommendation. They did it with Erin's audio corner when he found something on the Encore lineup.

I mean so much respect to them for doing that. They really appear to be using reviewers not just to market their products but also to improve them and make sure they meet certain standards. That's impressive
Yea I commend them for that. the 7CH was a hot mess. Mostly layout issues, likely fixable so we shall see.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I wouldn't use their XLRs as I see no benefit to them. I advised them to remove from future models or actually fix them.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
that's the problem. Most consumer gear does a poor job implementing XLRs and they often measure the same or worse than unbal RCA.

S

squeedle

Enthusiast
No, the XLR connection is balanced, otherwise, it doesn't make much sense to use it other than to confuse buyers.
Nope, they are UNBALANCED XLR, which I didn't even realize was a thing until I saw this. Very, very disappointing and pointless. Either make proper balanced XLR or don't include it. Yes they admit it's unbalanced on their web site, but most people will assume that is a typo since it's FKKN RIDICULOUS to have UNBALANCED XLR! Tsk tsk, Monoprice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis