Can Active Streaming Speakers Replace a 2CH Stereo System?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Active streaming loudspeakers, such as the $2,800 KEF LS50 Wireless II, promise all the performance of a traditional component-based stereo system combined with the simplicity of a “lifestyle” audio product. These products have become very popular, so there’s clearly a market for compact, all-in-one audio systems. But will hardcore audiophiles ever replace their big two-channel rigs with all-inclusive active streaming speakers?

kef ls60.jpg

Active Speaker Advantages:
  • Analog crossovers replaced with Active for better driver integration and higher efficiency
  • Bi or triamplified system
  • DSP tuning and sometimes room correction for optimized performance
It’s probably fair to assume that some audiophiles would never give up the freedom and the fun that can come with assembling a component-based system from scratch. And the loudspeaker manufacturers featured here aren’t about to stop producing regular passive speakers any time soon. But even ignoring the convenience and space savings provided by an active streaming speaker, there may be truth to the notion that these designs can simply deliver more pure performance per dollar than a comparably-priced component system. For every separate component you buy, you’re paying for a chassis, power supply, maybe a display, cables, and more. These active streaming systems condense your money into one purchase, letting it go farther than it otherwise could. And while an active streaming speaker doesn’t let you decide which components to pair together, there’s something to be said for removing the guesswork both for you and for the speaker designer. When building a passive loudspeaker, the designers have no clue what electronics the customer will use. But when you buy an active streaming speaker, you are relinquishing control to the designers, effectively letting the same people you trust to engineer a great-sounding speaker have the autonomy they need to make that speaker sound its best. Is that a compromise that you’re willing to make?

Share your thoughts in the related forum thread below.

Read: Can Active Streaming Speakers Replace a High-End Stereo System?

Last edited:
M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
Audioholics has recently posted two thought pieces suggesting broadening audio's appeal via sales at venues like Pebble Beach or product placement in media such as TV and film. While those approaches could potentially reach a large audience, I think active streaming speakers are a far more direct and practical way to address a typical buyer's concerns regarding complexity and operation of an AV system. Whether these devices appeal to 'audiophiles' is an entirely secondary concern as far as the manufacturers are concerned. Speakers that are in a hurry to marry your TV, phone, tablet, and computer present a simplified solution that most people can master. My belief is more price-oriented brands like Polk, Klipsch, Elac, etc. will begin to offer active speakers and then the challenge will be to convince consumers they actually sound better and are more flexible to use than the soundbar they are probably using today.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I DO think something like this is a viable option. For a second room. I don't see it replacing the typical audiophile's primary system. For a person who has no system and is looking for quality without a lot of gear/wires/cables taking up space and a simpler to setup, I could see something like this being appealing. Is that a BIG market? I guess that remains to be seen.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I want to know what they sound like. When it's all said and done. If they sound good and aren't to ugly, I'll try anything.
If they work, they work. I started with mono 78s, 45s and then 33.3/45 stereo LPs.
ONE speaker then. Only 2 speakers and a power cable now?
The older I get, the better this stuff sounds on paper. :)

VS all that stuff below. I KNOW I left a bunch of crap out..

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
There is a place for these rigs especially if you are just a streamer (online streamer) only. Once you begin to add other components (CD player, SACD player, or a turntable) the cable clutter is now out in the room at the back of one of the speakers. Plus, there is at least one power cable, sometimes two to power the speakers. For how I listen, these have limited application.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
The LS60s will be my retirement present to myself in a couple of years. Unless Kef comes out with something better. :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Here's the thing about (Active) speakers. I didn't read the whole article yet, what happens say umm 10 year's or more down the road and the amp inside goes out? In one or both speakers? Would the end users be able to find a exact replacement? Or will those amps even be serviceable? To this day Polk Audio had a bad run on their Pro Subs, where the amps wouldn't last past the warranty and they didn't even have replacement amps to ship to their customers who owned their Pro Subs line. Not picking on Polk Audio, just used that line as a example, any thoughts? Speaking just for me, before I'd integrate a pair of active speakers at 7K a pair, the amps inside better be bulletproof. Or come with no less than a 7 or more years of warranty on the class D amps they use in them. I'd bet they'll more likely have a 3 year warranty on the amps in them which would be a deal breaker if I where looking to get into a line of active speakers.

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Here's the thing about (Active) speakers. I didn't read the whole article yet, what happens say umm 10 year's or more down the road and the amp inside goes out? In one or both speakers? Would the end users be able to find a exact replacement? Or will those amps even be serviceable? To this day Polk Audio had a bad run on their Pro Subs, where the amps wouldn't last past the warranty and they didn't even have replacement amps to ship to their customers who owned their Pro Subs line. Not picking on Polk Audio, just used that line as a example, any thoughts? Speaking just for me, before I'd integrate a pair of active speakers at 7K a pair, the amps inside better be bulletproof. Or come with no less than a 7 or more years of warranty on the class D amps they use in them. I'd bet they'll more likely have a 3 year warranty on the amps in them which would be a deal breaker if I where looking to get into a line of active speakers.
One of my subs is 10 years old the other 9, both are still going strong and are used every day. No reason the amps in active speakers won't last as long.

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
I do as well think its coming soon at big store for the masses. Imagine getting all active speakers for home theatre…Much easier setup when the only thing you have to worry is have an electrical outlet close by. Pretty sure it kicks the crap of any soundbar! Will it replace a true dedicated AV room with all separates? I seriously doubt it. Same goes for the purist audiophile but we are a small % in the grand scheme of things…User experience is more important these day and age than the quality of the end result…I disagree with this trends but I guess I’m getting old ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
One of my subs is 10 years old the other 9, both are still going strong and are used every day. No reason the amps in active speakers won't last as long.
Have you taken a look at Golden Ear and Deftech speakers lately. Some are having issues with amps crapping out. Just not something I'd want to deal with especially after the warranties out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I were looking just for a 2ch rig, starting from scratch (which is far from my case), something like the Kef wireless models could work....my 2ch rig does use active speakers but they've got no onboard dac/wifi, so use with various components to feed them content....and can't see using active speakers in my several multich rigs mostly due lack of well placed power outlets (old house). Overall I have lots of amps/avrs/passive speakers....so not likely I'm going to be a customer any time soon, or ever....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Is pretty much how I use my LSR305s. They're really portable because of it. With that said, I don't really need the source self-contained. Class D makes for some really small, powerful and cool running amps these days, for all kinds of speaker options. Everyone else I know, uses something with their phone, even at home.

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
I've had KEF LSX's in my bedroom for about 2 years. I stopped using them when they went into zombie-mode and were on, but didn't do anything. They aren't great speakers, but they are pretty good with cheap subs... when they actually work.

Also, in my time using them while they worked, there were several problems involving WiFi and Bluetooth. Upgrading the firmware seemed to make no difference.

I got a crap set of active, WiFi speakers.

Obviously, this is very disappointing.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@jeffca is not alone thinking this. I really like KEF, but there's a real threat to the reputation because of these software issues. It's being reported way too much and whenever I take the time to read what problems people have, they also complain about customer service.

In all honesty (and with best at heart) this is something KEF needs to address.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I’ve been eyeing the LS60’s for when I move. Actives aren’t for everyone, but I would appreciate the cleaner look and obviously I’m a KEF fan already. Software bugs don’t sound too great though.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another active speaker which has to be on the possible prospective purchase list is this Neumann 3-Way Studio Monitor because of its outstanding performance:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis