Monolith 7x200 Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Looking for a massive Class AB amplifier to boost your home audio system? Check out the new Monolith 7x200 Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier from Monoprice. With 5 pair of output devices per channel, ample heatsinking, and two giant toroidal power supplies, this amp appears to have the goods to hit its 200 watts/CH into 8 ohms and 300 watts/CH into 4 ohms power ratings.

The Monolith should fit the needs of most demanding home theater systems requiring a meaty amp that can drive lots of unadulterated power into low impedance speakers.

Read: Monolith 7x200 Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier Preview

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That sure looks like yet another ATI based product.

DrJohnRead

DrJohnRead

Enthusiast
Same as the previous generation Emotiva XPA 7, design and price.

luisev

luisev

Audioholic Intern
I think you mean the Emotiva UPA-7. The XPA-7 had balanced inputs and different speaker binding posts. I believe the XPA-7 GENII updated the RCAs connectors as well.

UPA-7:

XPA-7:

Although an XPA-5 Gen II, you can see the different RCA connectors:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the biggest question is who will Service this Monolith amp if needed?

We know those amps that are made by ATI (Lexicon, Cary Audio, Outlaw, ect.) get serviced by ATI in California.

So if service is needed, where do customers send their Monolith amps ?

C

Critofur

Enthusiast
Holy cr@p that's expensive as heck, considering it's being sold by monoprice.com?!? Coming from them I'd expect the price to be less than 1/4 maybe or even 1/10th that price! So strange.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Holy cr@p that's expensive as heck, considering it's being sold by monoprice.com?!? Coming from them I'd expect the price to be less than 1/4 maybe or even 1/10th that price! So strange.
Well, if this amp is an ATI-built 200x7 amp, then $1500 is a bargain.

You won't see many 7CH amps with those types of high-end measurement for that price.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
I think the biggest question is who will Service this Monolith amp if needed?

We know those amps that are made by ATI (Lexicon, Cary Audio, Outlaw, ect.) get serviced by ATI in California.

So if service is needed, where do customers send their Monolith amps ?
Don't think it's based on either, I think it's based on ATI, likely this one.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Correcto..
Designed/built by ATi, a clone of the AT1807.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
At this price, you can get 2 Outlaw 5000 amps and end up with 10 channels of amplification and still spend less. Like someone said, with a brand like Monoprice, I'd consider it at maybe a third of the MSRP.

S

Sal1950

Audioholic Intern
Very inexpensive for 7 channels@200wpc.
BUT, all those boards packed together like sardines with little room of air movement and I don't see a fan.
Sure doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling for a long, trouble free life.
Not my cup of tea. :(

DrJohnRead

DrJohnRead

Enthusiast
I think you mean the Emotiva UPA-7. The XPA-7 had balanced inputs and different speaker binding posts. I believe the XPA-7 GENII updated the RCAs connectors as well.

UPA-7:

XPA-7:

Although an XPA-5 Gen II, you can see the different RCA connectors:

Well done on accuracy. Bottom line was 'so what' about the new line and specifically adjectives like " massiveClass AB amplifier " and "Giving your AV system a serious shot of adrenaline has never been cheaper." wrong Emotiva a brand Audioholics has been promoting has been offering this equivalent amp and higher for the same or less prices for more than five years...
Or this..."The Monolith also boasts a true 200-watt/ch power rating." same as Emotiva...
So my conclusion is this article is unbalanced... and not in a good way. Oh - the quality of the speaker terminals on the Emotiva line is a cut above this Mono whatever brand, rather a sure sign of not great internals. Emotiva has specifically moved on from large heavy amp tech to embrace a new more energy and weight efficient technology today...this Mono whatever is unworthy....not even capturing the benefit of old school tech really.

So bottom line...rather fewer descriptive adjectives please and rather more accurate market appraisal might give readers better guidance and build more trust.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This amp has nothing to do with Emotiva. It's clearly ATI manufactured, a well respected company.

DrJohnRead

DrJohnRead

Enthusiast
This amp has nothing to do with Emotiva. It's clearly ATI manufactured, a well respected company.
And a direct competitor of Emotiva, Outlaw and similar priced products mate. Their relationship in the market is obvious as the comments here demonstrate. But hey just commenting not trying to change the world have a wonderful day ahead.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
^
Value is a tough since we all have different price points. For example, I won't consider a 5 figure mono-block.

The new Emotiva amps are interesting at a good price point. IMO, The more options for high-power multi-channel amps the better.

This is definitely and ATI derivative and their quality and durability has been well established. I suspect that bleeds though this preview as it does with other well-respected brands.

I have bought many products from Monoprice and have had a couple bad HDMI cables. There support has been exemplary.

As for service for this amp, it may not be easy to evaluate, because I suspect they wont need it any time soon :)

- Rich

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure what would make you think that?

paul.arhitex

paul.arhitex

Audioholic Intern
This AMP has same power as the EMOTIVA XPA Gen3 & a much lower price - i guess the Monolith is the winner.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Very inexpensive for 7 channels@200wpc.
BUT, all those boards packed together like sardines with little room of air movement and I don't see a fan.
Sure doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling for a long, trouble free life.
Not my cup of tea. :(
Look at all of that heatsink surface area and mass. Remember, heat rises. This is a well-thought out design. I wouldn't place this amp in a tightly packed cabinet, though if the cabinet has a fan or two it might work.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
This AMP has same power as the EMOTIVA XPA Gen3 & a much lower price - i guess the Monolith is the winner.
Couple thoughts:

1. The price is nominally $1499 vs $1899, but the Monoprice figure doesn't include shipping. The warranty is also 3 years vs 5 for the Emo amps.

2. The Emo is a lot lighter (53 pounds vs 93 pounds), which is nice for those of us that don't have Gene or Hugo's physique.

3. On the topic of power...the Monolith pretty much performs as advertised/expected, which is to say its a beast. The S&V bench test result of 178W with 0.1% THD and all channels driven is a testament to how robust the power supply is. That said, the 2ch driven results are a bit less impressive, only rising to 215W with 0.1% THD. The Emo Gen 3's are liable to do better in this regard, which is an important factor with real world content, given that it rarely (if ever) stresses all channels simultaneously.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis