Mythos St-S Question

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
Hello all,

I am considering getting a pair of Mythos St-S.

Before I fully decide to do this I wanted to gauge out what else I may need.

My current setup:

Marantz SR5005
SVS PB-12 NSD
Emp Tek E41B.

In my current space I would, at maximum, be doing a 3.1. If I got the Mythos I was most likely pair it up with a Def Tech center channel.

My main question is if my Marantz is going to be powerful enough to power the Mythos St-S well. If not, what would people's recommendations be? Get a new receiver or pair it up with a amp in conjuction with my Marantz?

Also, how far off the wall do these need to be? I don't have a ton of space.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
STs have the built in amps for the low end, so these will likely be a fairly easy load to drive.

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
I'm assuming the low end amps plug into the wall for power?

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
So it looks as I will be getting the pair of these in the next week or so which brings me to my next question.

Most of the time I will use the speakers is for music. Because I do have a SVS subwoofer I am wondering how I should hook things up for bass management. As of now I am not planning on running LFE cables from each Mythos sub and just use speaker wire instead. When I listen to music should I set the Mythos to large or small? If I set them to large will I still get bass out of my SVS? It is my understanding they sound best in large for music and better as small for movies but I am not 100 percent sure.

Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I own the Goldenear Triton 2, it is very similar to the Def Tech design with the built in amps (designed by the same guy).

GE and DT recommended config is to simply connect with the high level speaker connections, and no LFE connection.

I have my Triton 2 connected with speaker wire only, and I run them as "large" at all times. I have a Rythmik F15HP doing the LFE duties. My other speakers are crossed at 100Hz.

My Pio Elite has a couple of settings that helps to do what I want. I set my towers as "large", and I set my sub as "plus". This "plus" setting will give LFE info to the sub AND to any "large" speakers.

I then have the option while playing sound for "Direct" or "Pure Direct" modes. Direct mode will send the bass to the sub and the towers, but Pure Direct mode cuts out the sub bass info.

So, answers to your questions may depend on your AVR.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
So it looks as I will be getting the pair of these in the next week or so which brings me to my next question.

Most of the time I will use the speakers is for music. Because I do have a SVS subwoofer I am wondering how I should hook things up for bass management. As of now I am not planning on running LFE cables from each Mythos sub and just use speaker wire instead. When I listen to music should I set the Mythos to large or small? If I set them to large will I still get bass out of my SVS? It is my understanding they sound best in large for music and better as small for movies but I am not 100 percent sure.

Thanks
Ditto from the above comment.
As far as the STS's speaker wire only, set your Fronts to Large on your receiver and use the control on the speakers to adjust your bass output according to your room and what you like.
As for the Sub, don't confuse Bass with LFE, with your Sub setting to YES, your sub will play all LFE + any bass from all the positions set to Small.
Your receiver also has an LFE and LFE + setting, LFE is as described above, LFE + will also add the bass from the speakers set to Large to your Sub, only way to know which is best is to experiment with both settings and choose which you like best.
Remember, you're tuning for your room and your ears, this is why there's no "one setting for all", standard settings are starting points, which ever "you" like best is the right way.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hello all,

I am considering getting a pair of Mythos St-S.

Before I fully decide to do this I wanted to gauge out what else I may need.

My current setup:

Marantz SR5005
SVS PB-12 NSD
Emp Tek E41B.

In my current space I would, at maximum, be doing a 3.1. If I got the Mythos I was most likely pair it up with a Def Tech center channel.

My main question is if my Marantz is going to be powerful enough to power the Mythos St-S well. If not, what would people's recommendations be? Get a new receiver or pair it up with a amp in conjuction with my Marantz?

Also, how far off the wall do these need to be? I don't have a ton of space.

Thanks for the help!
If the STS have an LFE input, you can still run RCA level cables from your receiver to the inputs of your speakers. That way LFE + summed bass will go to bass drivers of your speakers. It's a good idea to have the same bass signal playing on your large towers and powered subs to take advantage of the modal averaging of multiple subs. You may however have to turn down the bass level on the towers so experimentation is key.

If you set your receivers bass output to "LFE + Both" it will allow your sub channel to be active for 2CH sources but it may also double the bass going to your towers which again you have to experiment with level. Get the towers sounding good first, then turn your SVS subs on. Calibrate for all 4 bass sources next....

Alternatively, you can set the bass out of your receiver to LFE only and your towers to small, that way you will always get bass to all 4 subs but not double bass to the towers. This is where an RTA comes in handy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis