mythbusters busted?

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those guys are pretty good, no doubt. But the mythbusters episode was about splitting an arrow all the way down its entire length. And even though they had someone who could shoot arrows that precisely they found that the wood just wouldnt split properly.

However IIRC they did a second attempt with some special wood a viewer sent in and Im not sure if they were able to achieve the goal or not.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
That arrow sitting in the target looked like a hollow tube, not a standard solid wooden arrow, which I think is cheating. Although thats damn good shooting.

cheers:)

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Agree - the "arrow" on the board was hollow AND reinforced at the back end (you can see the threads around the shaft). The mythbusters goal was to split a solid wooden shaft arrow.

In response to the second attempt with the special arrow (grain of wood ran entire length of shaft) I watched the episode and they got about 80% split, if I remember correctly.

Still, heck of a shot!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
MACCA350 said:
That arrow sitting in the target looked like a hollow tube, not a standard solid wooden arrow, which I think is cheating. Although thats damn good shooting.

cheers:)

Yes, indeed. But are they on the Olympic team? They should be:D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
No doubt those guys are good, however those are pretty fancy bows they have there, all compound with counter weights and such. There is another dude on the OLN channel named Byron Ferguson that uses a plain old long bow and can hit an aspirin in the air among a bunch of other cool stuff. More amazing to me because he is not using a compound bow. Having owned a compound bow and now the owner of a long bow and a recurve I have some idea of how much more difficult a feat that is.

Take a look here http://www.byronferguson.com/html/video.html

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
The Japanese fellows ]

Maybe they are Korean? I sent this clip to #1 and said this is in Korean?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
The Japanese fellows are using Recurve Bows, not Compound Bows
Yep your correct, however, still pretty fancy bows with sights and weights etc. The other dude has none of that. I am not saying they are not skilled, however, I think it takes even more skill to do the old way. If I want to shoot something with sights, I will grab my 8mm mauser with some 150 gr HP boat-tails loaded to 3000 fps and reach out and touch someone. When I want to get back to basics, I grab my longbow or plain recurve and I can't hit a thing :) I just don't feel bows should have all that stuff. Kind of takes away from the allure or mystique of the bow.

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jeffsg4mac said:
No doubt those guys are good, however those are pretty fancy bows they have there, all compound with counter weights and such. There is another dude on the OLN channel named Byron Ferguson that uses a plain old long bow and can hit an aspirin in the air among a bunch of other cool stuff. More amazing to me because he is not using a compound bow. Having owned a compound bow and now the owner of a long bow and a recurve I have some idea of how much more difficult a feat that is.

Take a look here http://www.byronferguson.com/html/video.html
Wow. Double wow.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Wow. Double wow.

Yeah I know, I saw about 20 minutes of him doing stuff one day. Amazing!!!. Made me want to throw my bows away:(

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
jeffsg4mac said:
Yep your correct, however, still pretty fancy bows with sights and weights etc. The other dude has none of that. I am not saying they are not skilled, however, I think it takes even more skill to do the old way. If I want to shoot something with sights, I will grab my 8mm mauser with some 150 gr HP boat-tails loaded to 3000 fps and reach out and touch someone. When I want to get back to basics, I grab my longbow or plain recurve and I can't hit a thing :) I just don't feel bows should have all that stuff. Kind of takes away from the allure or mystique of the bow.
Ah yes. The Mauser. Do you have an old pre-slave-made one? A good buddy of mine has one of the older models that was still made by the German craftsmen. It's an amazing piece of weaponry. Everything about it just feels so right.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
jaxvon said:
Ah yes. The Mauser. Do you have an old pre-slave-made one? A good buddy of mine has one of the older models that was still made by the German craftsmen. It's an amazing piece of weaponry. Everything about it just feels so right.
It's a Yugo M48 from 1948 I think is the date on it. Craftmanship is awesome and the only thing I did was to install a 3lb trigger in it. It's a tack driver for sure. I also have a mint Enfield .303 No.4 MkII that is no slouch either. Once you tighten up the headspace on them you can just neck size them only on the reloads and the accuracy is great. I just aquired a spanish FR8 in a .308 that is mint, it needs a lighter trigger but thats about it. It should be a tack driver too.

FR8 here http://www.surplusrifle.com/spanishfr8/index.asp

Yugo M48 here http://www.surplusrifle.com/yugom48/index.asp

Enfield here http://www.surplusrifle.com/no4/index.asp

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've got an ancient Gustav Mauser in 6.5 Swede that's quite the tack driver, too.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry for being the odd one out, but whilst I agree that it's impressive to see an arrow 'split' another, I'm not so impressed that the feat was able to be done in the first place.

1. Consider that the archers in the video were almost certainly top notch at their trade and as such are probably consistently hitting the innermost target area with any shot.
  2. In fact, if they are acclaimed archers, they're probably aren't just consistently hitting the innermost area, but instead consistently coming pretty close to the centre of said area.
  3. Given this, is it such a surprise that given enough attempts, they're able to slot one arrow within another?
  4. I mean what are the odds (for these people)? I doubt they're that high.

Of course alternatively, it could just be the Engineer in me. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, based on the writing, it is Korean.

That is awsome. Amazing aim + a little luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis