Mysterious AVR Shutdown

eagleshadow

eagleshadow

Audiophyte
I have a Marantz 7013 AVR using a Google TV dongle for streaming to my non smart TV. Last night while watching the 1978 "Invasion Of The Body snatchers", my AVR shutdown exactly at the infamous Dog Man Pod Scene. This is a normal crowd audio scene (no explosions or loud sounds that one might normally associate with an overload shutdown). A google search brought up and internet comment by someone in Italy who experienced the exact same experience on a Denon AVR. Previously I have had no similar occurrences. I watch a lot of movies with full blown Dolby 7.1.2 audio so I am not concerned about the Marantz at this time.

The curious thing it is the shutdown appears to be infinitely repeatable ( also described on the before noted internet comment). I played the scene several times with the same shutdown incident at the same time marker. The Google TV dongle is plugged into the DVR input. I am using the AVR for audio processing only. Is there anything in the movie sound track that could trigger this weird event.

Thanks eagleshadow

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Very curious. I've not heard of an avr shutting down from a particular passage.....would be very weird if there was some combination of audio signals that initiated a shutdown. Got a link to the other report?

Curious, if the dongle is only for audio, how do you get/stream video to a non-smart tv?

eagleshadow

eagleshadow

Audiophyte
Very curious. I've not heard of an avr shutting down from a particular passage.....would be very weird if there was some combination of audio signals that initiated a shutdown. Got a link to the other report?

Curious, if the dongle is only for audio, how do you get/stream video to a non-smart tv?
I misspoke. Obviously video is passed through to the TV. That is the purpose of the Google TV dongle. I am not upscaling video. What I meant to say is only audio extraction and processing is being done via the Marantz. I am searching for that that aforementioned thread. If I find it I will upload it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like something is being initiated through HDMI-CEC control which I am assuming you may have on.

What happens if you plug the Google TV stick and plug it directly into your AVR instead of the TV?

There is no obvious reason to plug that stick into the TV directly as the AVR should handle your video needs just fine.

Just wondering if it does the same thing.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Disconnect the speakers and play it again- if it still does this, try a different HDMI input. If it still does this, try watching with a different streaming source.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As I always say with mysterious shut downs, check all of your speaker cables and look for bald spots in the cable or any stray strands at the binding posts. I had a similar issue where my avr would shut down at certain volume leevels.

B

billqs

Audiophyte
As I always say with mysterious shut downs, check all of your speaker cables and look for bald spots in the cable or any stray strands at the binding posts. I had a similar issue where my avr would shut down at certain volume leevels.
^^ This. Most of us think that of course we wired everything correctly, but speaker cables sometimes have a mind of their own. I had the above happen to me, and sure enough, I had cables touching which caused shutdowns.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis