My weekend visit to BB with observations

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I feel your pain brother. My Wife has a leopard theme in our bedroom, luckily it hasn't ventured out past the bedroom door...

Compromises can be tough. If you have to, be very very very specific (I learned the really hard way!)

Here's a tip (more like a warning): Wifes/girlfriends have a memory like an elephant...Once you tell them something, that's it the floodgates are open! They don't let you forget it!
I know I could play it tough, but I'm pretty sure the leopard print will at least make it to the sheets when we get a bigger bed.

Oh man does my girlfriend have a memory. It's better than most women even I'd be willing to bet, and it applies to everything. Once she hears a 10 digit phone number the odds are about 50/50 she's got it memorized the first time through, and months later she can recall it. I can't get away with nothin I tells ya. Oh well keeps me honest. :rolleyes: And lets face it, we don't really care what colour anything is, as long as the friends can't see it, and as long as we get our own little area to keep manly. Men are a simple breed, for the most part. I've been told I only have two emotions, hungry and tired. And for all of my crap she has to put up with, be it audio/video upgradeitis, or my eyes that just can't be trained not to look at the hot girls butt as she walks by, she deserves her little quirks too.

As to futureshop in Canada I too will only shop if there is a great deal on. For me the reason is simple. Remember that stoner kid in highschool? No not the one that you were. The one who had no brain cells left, used to argue the merit of smoking tea leaves or catnip vs. glue huffing, couldn't find his way home from the next block over, and noone could never tell if he was awake because his eyes were almost always squinted closed 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. That kid is about 27 now, still is depending on the 2 last functioning braincells in his head (although it seems like he's pierced his face and head enough times to be trying to dig in from the front and sides to get at those too) , and I've watched him slowly work his way up the Chain at futureshop, to the point where he is in charge of the sales staff for the TV section. I've talked to this guy before folks, we went to school together for a long time, he's not a bad guy, just stupid and stoned. He doesn't know anything about the products he sells. Less than me even. And whats worse is since he's in a position of authority now the sales staff are taking on a distinct new look and style. I guess the more piercings the better. You can't go in to the futureshop by my house where this guy works and expect any kind of help, but you can see groups of people ranging from 16-30 standing on groups and talking, while they scope out the babes, talk about pot and how drunk they were on the weekend. One of the guys who posts to this site has the signature ,"God must love stupid people, he made enough of them." He sure did, and they all work at my local futureshop. I know it sounds mean, but I'm not 16 anymore, and I really hate talking to stupid stoned people, (smart stoned people fine, but not idiots) and I really don't want to take shopping advice from them either.

End rant.

Dumar

Audioholic
You’re right on the money, Takeereasy.

Start rant.

And it’s not just Future Shop. A lot of companies are filling their low pay jobs in the service and sales sectors with losers because they’re the only ones that will take the jobs. I can get past the several ounces of body-pierced metal if the person displays at least some manners, but don’t you find when you finally make it to the til there is little to reward you for standing in line. What ever happened to the simple phrase “Thank you”? :confused: When I hand over my hard earned 2nies I want the person on the receiving end to say something. :mad:

Maybe what’s really going on here is companies like Future Shop and BB want to discourage store shopping so they can expand their online sales and eventually dump the stores and all the associated overhead.

Maybe they will put their employees to work greasing the robots in their automated whorehouses. :( No ... probably not. They already have other robots that do that.

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Those robots don't have as much metal in their faces either.

On a sidebar I was in futureshop today, I needed to pick up some blank DVDs for work. (part of my job is burning all of the company photosheets onto recordable media so that we have them on file for at least 6 years). There was no one in line in front of me, but the girl working the cash register stood there carrying on a conversation with another sales member for about 2 or 3 minutes while I stood there. I could of understood if it was work related but it wasn't. They were talking about guys that worked there. The girl behind the counter had her hair dyed 2 colours, black and purple, and had (no lie) about 20 piercings in her face. I finally had to say excuse me, and pretend that I had assumed that the girl didn't know I was there. Maybe the real problem isn't the customer service at futureshop. Maybe the real problem is that I can't acknowledge the real buning questin every consumer should have been asking that day. And that question is which fuutureshop employee is hotter,Trevor or Ed? Or maybe this is just the way soceity is heading. Oh well, I blame the Liberals, or as the Americans would say, the Democrats. (kidding)

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Just for the heck of it I went back to the BB the other day. They had revamped their speaker cave. You still have to walk past the Bose and Klipsch walls before you get into the cave, but now they have these little kiosck-like setups. They have several speakers set up with this console where you can choose which speakers to hear with either music or a movie. You can control the volume, too. So I sat and cranked up the Athenas and listened to them. The only problem is, all the speakers face you so you don't get any "surround" effects. But at least you can sample speakers without a salesman bothering you.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
In toronto they have future shop and BB, the best buys here dont even carry the auditions ne more. and the future shop carry some or most i think. i bought the center there since i got price drop to 199 cad because 2001audio videos was that. I rather look for deals online. Future shop is a lil better but not much. If i had the money i would go to BayNBloor Radio or go buy the paradigms down the street lol.

D

Donohue

Enthusiast
But WHY?

cmusic said:
A few months ago I was in BB looking for a component video cable for my PS2. The salesman handed me a Monster Cable PS2 to component video cable for $99. I put it back on the rack and asked if there were any other brands of cables that were cheaper. He said no. I then tried to look at the other cables he was standing in front of. He would not move from his spot. When I looked around his back at the other brands of cables he backed into the rack, deliberately blocking my view of some of them. I said forget it and walked off.

A few moments later I went back to the same rack without the salesman and found a Sony brand cable for $20. The salesman had deliberately stood in front of it to hide it from me.

Since then whenever I have been in BB I have asked salesmen and saleswomen to leave me alone.
I can understand a commissioned salesman (being one myself) being a little pushy but why would a BB employee be so cut throat? They're hourly... maybe they're having a contest.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Donohue said:
I can understand a commissioned salesman (being one myself) being a little pushy but why would a BB employee be so cut throat? They're hourly... maybe they're having a contest.
From what I've read online of claimed complaints from Best Buy employees -- it seems that BB used negative reinforcement tactics as a normal method of business. They(sales reps) are apparently(?) threatened(fired?) if they don't sell a certain amount of specific things(waranties? hi-markup items?).

-Chris

D

Donohue

Enthusiast
I Guess Things Have Changed...

WmAx said:
From what I've read online of claimed complaints from Best Buy employees -- it seems that BB used negative reinforcement tactics as a normal method of business. They(sales reps) are apparently(?) threatened(fired?) if they don't sell a certain amount of specific things(waranties? hi-markup items?).

-Chris
I think BB has changed since I worked there (back in 94). Don't get me wrong... they appreciated margin but they were more positive about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis