My vintage vs a..... (stereo)

R

rubenlopez

Enthusiast
Hello.. new to the forum and wanted some good advice... apologies if this forum is not the correct one for a new member asking annoying questions... my knowledge on audio is basically none, and would love to hear advice on:

I currently have a pair of vintage floorstanding Technics sb2255, hooked to a vintage also technics su-v40 in my apartment... everything working with no repair done at all since new, yet, they give a VERY deep bass with very low treble... (I think this is a new issue, but nothing that equalizing cant solve)... other problem is that it sometimes give a BANG sound, but dont know if its a transistor from the receiver, or old speaker cables or whatever... yet, those problems dont bother me that much...

Anyway, sound is very loud and they work fine... but...

I’m contemplating buying a new yamaha stereo receiver, probably a yamaha R-S202BL and a pair of speakers, some polks or a pair of klipsch rf24 or 26... (want to keep it low budget but also want floorstanders... question is:

If I buy that new equipment, will I get a real upgrade on my audio quality or will I waste cash to end with a downgrade or something very similar to what I currently have in my vintage setting?

Only interested in audio, at low to medium levels for señorita nights.... thanks

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sound from speakers is subjective so it's hard to say. I'm sure myself and others can find you better setup overall, but in the end its you ears. When you say very deep bass, most of us would assume that it covers the lowest range of notes. I've never seen measurements so I don't know. I can, without a budget, tell you that a new pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub should have no problems going deeper than the current setup.

R

rubenlopez

Enthusiast
Wow, that was fast... deeper bass would be a no no for me right now... with my current setting, and bass equilizer at normal level, I cant climb higher than 2 at volume without my windows frames bouncing etc... with bass at minimum, cant go higher than 5... I was also thinking about bookshelfs, but the aesthetics of floorstanders are hard to beat... they look very nice... yet, feel free to throw set ups you (anyone) might consider are good (better than current vintage) at a 400-500$ range... stereo receiver+pair of speakers... every sugestion will be helpful and by the way, I can’t audiotion any since I live in Costa Rica... I never even seen a pair of klipsches or polk for sale in here... they only sale budget sony, samsung etc, and mostly soundbars now... thanks again

Little edit... objective: a silky smooth sound that wont become tiring or annoying for several hours with company at bed, that will look good, at medium to low volume levels, music played from spotify either by bluetooth or a 3.5 cable...

(and sorry about orthography, I speak spanish)...

Thanks again

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
R

rubenlopez

Enthusiast
At your current budget, with the exception of closeouts, Holliday Sales, or similar, I'm not sure that you will be better of exponentially. If your stereo only and your current Intergrated amp is up to spec, I'd put your total budget on speakers.

These are excellent for the price...

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantvento8202blka/canton-vento-820.2-2-way-6in-bookshelf-speaker-black-gloss-pair/1.html

Of the speakers you mentioned which ones sounded the best to you?
Of the brands we have in here, I think pioneers sound best to me, then sony... yet, if I compare the sonys, samsungs and similar speakers some friends have, my technics sound much better, louder and “boomy”... those canton speakers you linked look nice... didn’t even now about that brand or that a pair of bookselfs could cost 1200 dollars...

Will read about the Cantons as much as posible...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis