My Twin Odin dual Subwoofer build with Dayton Audio Ultimax 18" driver

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Very cool!

Any chance you did some measurements to share? :)

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Very cool!

Any chance you did some measurements to share? :)
I haven't measured yet and I expected that to be the first question I got from people. I haven't fully obtained the things I need to get those measurements going but when I do I will post either another video or pics or something. I've been hesitant to measure and analyze every little detail of things since it all sounds and works so great right now and I'm way too familiar with the negative side effects of falling into rabbit holes. But maybe rabbit holes are needed for interesting videos.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My main reason is that I just haven't seen a lot of information available when it comes to DIY design efficacy. Please understand I am not questioning what you did! :) Rather, is the Ultimax or any raw driver going to perform on a level that competes with a higher end system utilizing more advanced development techniques than those available to us as intrepid hobbyists.
I questioned whether the UM18 was worth building with on that other site and got a whole bunch of lip service without any meaningful discussion. Nobody wanted to put up anything to show what they achieved from a performance aspect which is disappointing. (I'm sure there is more info out there, I just can't dig for it endlessly.)
I love watching build vids or following threads, but I also want to know about the performance characteristics of that design.
Some of the guys building Devastators got some good measurements that showed their permutations tracked well with the models posted. This raises confidence in endeavoring to undertake such a project, knowing there is proof for the design. One of the versions I was interested in perhaps building hasn't been tested, and for the cost of the Woofer alone, the risk is somewhat prohibitive if it doesn't deliver beyond the promise that it can.
Regardless, I find it very exciting to see a Sono-Sub build! I hope you do get the chance to get some in room measurements so we can see what your getting out of it in your room! :D

Cheers!

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I think different sub builds and designs in the DIY realm are determined by the need, the space, the use, the area, etc... I do plan to measure these because they are crazy. The design was a collaboration of the some best advice and suggestions from the pro's at the AVS Forum. It was based on a "no limitations" design. We shall see what these drivers are soon enough. I've found that the last decade has seen a drop in DIY interest as more people are going with branded subs that are getting cheaper.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Choosing to get into DIY is a commitment, for sure. I see a lot of people that don't know what they are doing, and many that could be "pros." And then there is a wide swath of people in between, with different motivations and goals.
The thing I keep getting hung up on though is the "efficacy coefficient" of a project. Basically what I described earlier, and why I suspect DIY is waning in some regards. What will I get for my money and my time vs buying an OEM product that is well designed, tested and proven. And then, depending on completing it... you still have to finish it. ;) Sure, that's as easy as a rattle can or a roller with some Duratex... and lets not forget the simple elegant beauty of raw MDF with TightBond drips running down the sides! :D

I can't wait! :cool:

My SQL-15s are going to get tested in a large ported cab of about 10cu.ft and a large sealed cab of 4cu.ft. I'm not going to finish the test cabinets, but I'm hopefully going to be able to keep them clean when I put them together. When I choose my design, I will build from Baltic Birch and will finish those.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis