My turn - flooded basement.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I got up this morning to about 1/4 to 1/2 inches of water in my basement. The good news is that nothing of any value was lost. It didn't spread across the whole basement, maybe a little over half. I spent the morning moving stuff to the garage so I could remove the carpet and underpad, which was soaked. Most of what I had down there was old leftover stuff. Even the carpet was taken out of my brothers house when he got new carpet.

Long story short, it cost me $100 to have a plumber rooter out a tree root from the main drain from the house and I'll have to remove the walls and insulation. The best news is that the rebuild just may include a dedicated home theater.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear it, but again it sounds like a little bit of a blessing in disguise I suppose.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sorry to hear that too. That's a pretty good chicken salad story though. When the contractor shows up, ask for his union card. :D

J

jamie2112

Banned
Dave sounds like you have a good idea of what you should do.........:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to hear about your basement, Dave.
Though it sounds like you've got a plan, and a good one at that.
Is this a bad time to ask about the new Integra?:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dave, you have got to teach some of the rest of us how you were able to convince a tree to borrow a root into your drain. To get a home theater, most guys would have done something more mundane and easy to catch by their spouse -like bust a pipe. Your legend continues to grow. Kudos, Tree Master.

[BTW - I'm sorry that you had to wake up to that. Unexpected house damage is never fun, in my book - but you've got a good plan!]

DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
I can tell you from experience, remove the offending tree or you will have trouble again.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I got up this morning to about 1/4 to 1/2 inches of water in my basement. The good news is that nothing of any value was lost. It didn't spread across the whole basement, maybe a little over half. I spent the morning moving stuff to the garage so I could remove the carpet and underpad, which was soaked. Most of what I had down there was old leftover stuff. Even the carpet was taken out of my brothers house when he got new carpet.

Long story short, it cost me $100 to have a plumber rooter out a tree root from the main drain from the house and I'll have to remove the walls and insulation. The best news is that the rebuild just may include a dedicated home theater.
The problem with what you had is that it wasn't just water, so you will want to use some kind of disinfectant on anything it was in contact with. I used bleach when it happened at my house.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Like many here Dave, I am very sorry this has happened to you. But, talking about ADAPTATION-you just did it with style. That is, taking something negative and turning it into an opportunity that in the end becomes quite a blessing. Now, that is what I am talking about!!!! :p:p Kudos to you for doing so my friend. Be sure to keep us all updated on this process as many can learn from it. ;);) Have a blessed weekend. :):)

Cheers,

Phil

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
We know what will happen.
"Throwing out the dishasher, washing machine, furnace, waterheater...."
"Why are you doing that????"
"Making an awesome HT room downstairs honey!" :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks to all. I will answer all of you. I appreciate the sentiment and your advice.

Sorry to hear it, but again it sounds like a little bit of a blessing in disguise I suppose.
I've been meaning to gut my basement anyway and start over down there. This is less a blessing in disguise than a shove to get me off my lazy A55 and get moving on the project.

I'm sorry to hear that too. That's a pretty good chicken salad story though. When the contractor shows up, ask for his union card. :D
Chicken Salad???
Dave sounds like you have a good idea of what you should do.........:D
Yes, yes, I do. I just need to translate ideas into reality. Hopes and dreams don't build home theaters.
Sorry to hear about your basement, Dave.
Though it sounds like you've got a plan, and a good one at that.
Is this a bad time to ask about the new Integra?:D
Actually, the Integra is installed and working just fine. I can bitstream the HD audio and see DTS-HD and True HD on the front panel like God and the engineers intended.
Dave, you have got to teach some of the rest of us how you were able to convince a tree to borrow a root into your drain. To get a home theater, most guys would have done something more mundane and easy to catch by their spouse -like bust a pipe. Your legend continues to grow. Kudos, Tree Master.

[BTW - I'm sorry that you had to wake up to that. Unexpected house damage is never fun, in my book - but you've got a good plan!]
I wish I were a Jedi Tree Master so I could use the force to choke the life out of that tree like an Imperial Stormtrooper that failed in his duty.
I can tell you from experience, remove the offending tree or you will have trouble again.
The offending tree is on city property next to the curb. Removing it without approval is a 10K fine. Getting approval to remove a healthy tree is impossible.
The problem with what you had is that it wasn't just water, so you will want to use some kind of disinfectant on anything it was in contact with. I used bleach when it happened at my house.
Yes, everything that came into contact with water is either getting bleached or going to the dump. The entire floor will be bleached and the walls all removed. I'm going to be sending a fair amount of mineral wool acoustic insulation to the dump because it got wet. It's a shame.
Like many here Dave, I am very sorry this has happened to you. But, talking about ADAPTATION-you just did it with style. That is, taking something negative and turning it into an opportunity that in the end becomes quite a blessing. Now, that is what I am talking about!!!! :p:p Kudos to you for doing so my friend. Be sure to keep us all updated on this process as many can learn from it. ;) Have a blessed weekend. :)

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks Phil, I guess I will be having a blessed weekend. My brother lent his truck to haul stuff to the dump and his custom license plate praises God. So I guess in a technical sense, when I am driving this truck around town, this atheist is spreading God's word.;)
We know what will happen.
"Throwing out the dishasher, washing machine, furnace, waterheater...."
"Why are you doing that????"
"Making an awesome HT room downstairs honey!" :D
The awesome HT room has one serious limitation: ceiling height. At it's highest, it's just short of 7'. At it's lowest where the ducts run, it's only 5'9". Because the house is just a small rectangular bungalow, I'm thinking of raising the whole house and adding three rows of cinder block to the foundation. Once the whole basement is gutted and all outside walls exposed, I figure it can't be that expensive, maybe under 10K to have an architect and licensed contractor do the work. This will be a long term plan, not a short build. I figure it will be worth the expense to nearly double my usable living space.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. ;)
When life gives you chicken $h!t, make chicken salad. :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Dave...the good news....

Indoor swimming pool??

:eek:
Always the optimist, Eh? :) Ironically RJ, I used a pool pump to drain the flood water to eliminate my indoor pool. Once the pump drained the water and the plumber did his thing, it dried up pretty quick because I had two exhaust fans, a dehumidifier and a fan running down there all day.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis