My thoughts on Zidoo Z9S Android HTPC/Media client

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So first of all, let's make one thing clear. with two young kids and no help (it's just me and my wife),my time is extremely limited so this is not going to be a full super detailed review, it makes no sense to replicate few absolutely amazing reviews already done

I will try to provide my own experiences and opinions, some may replicate or contradict above reviews.
My current media client is Amlogic 905X based Khadas Vim Pro (gen 1) unit with 2gb ram and 16gb storage. What I did with it, is installed 3rd party LibreElec OS which is very thin Linux layer only meant to start a Kodi software platform.

Here are some of the differences from Khadas Vim to Zidoo Z9S media clients:
  • Z9S comes with similar ARM Cortex A53 architecture SOC but made by Realtek but has a faster video processor
  • 1Gig network interface vs 100Mbps
  • More powerful Wifi chip with dedicated dual WiFi antennas
  • A Bundled full remote with some learning functions (this is not full blown universal remote) - with Khadas vim remote is optional and not learning
  • Very nicely machined aluminum case on z9s vs flimsy clear plastic on KV
  • DC Power supply is bundled vs optional on KV
  • More USB ports and 2x SATA ports
  • Biggest differences though would be with bundled software. Zidoo GUI looks much more polished and offers several easy to use apps for configurations, media playback, and file management.
  • GUI and all apps are very responsive and never noticed any GUI lag.
  • Price
After a quick initial setup, I fired up bundled Home Theater app, made to be somewhat of replacement of Kodi - it does the job mostly but falls short in few places, more noticeably scanning of my movies folder on NFS share (a breeze to add btw) is crashing the application. You could see the last movie/file name it was scanning and do a custom scan, skipping that file, but it is a clumsy way and I didn't bother with it after making one exception and the second time it crashed on another movie in my library.
Installing ZDMC (Kodi 17.6) isn't hard, just a quick download from Zidoo website, but the installation of it is possible either from web remote install (didn't work well for me, possibly due to an issue with Flash) but did work with a USB install. Wish file share source for install of apps would be an option. I added the official Plex client without issues, but the playback in Plex was choppy (it's not choppy on my KV/Kodi/Plex box). It's probably an easy fix, but I haven't had a chance to fiddle more with it.
One minor point: Guys at Zidoo - At this price point of "premium" media client target, don't shy away from including the AAA batteries for the remote.

So far I had only very limited time with the device and I'll add later on.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I couldn't figure out why Plex on Kodi (ZDMC) video is slow and choppy, but after installing Plex client directly on the Zidoo GUI video performance gotten much better. Default interface switched from mobile to TV style but was looking a bit weird compared to Plex client for Kodi which I've gotten used to.

A minor annoyance is power supply is a type of brick which while not particularly large or heavy but does unnecessary covers two or more outlets on the power strip and I really wish it had a detachable style power cord from outlet to the power supply. see similar power block here: https://androidtvbox-ek7q6hcfgvb.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ZIDOO-X9S_unboxing.jpg

Last edited:
H

henkeli

Audioholic Intern
hey do you still use the Z9S? they still don't include batteries but they have fixed the power supply and now use a 2-piece brick with separate plug to save space.

i don't have much time on it yet but have noticed the library is fiddly. overall the box works well though. using it as a dedicated movie player only. Devs seem pretty active on the FW front (for better or worse).

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I've been using a Z9S for roughly 6 months and like it quite a bit.
I bought it because I was tired of the poor experience with other primary devices, TV, DVD player, etc. when connecting a portable hard drive to watch movies, etc.
I like the Zidoo's UI. I really like the quality of the video/audio.
I did have some freeze problems when the hdd was connected to the usb 3 ports but no problems at all with the usb 2 ports. I use the usb 3 port for my music thumb drive and it works great.
I do get a bit frustrated when Zidoo/Android puts strange names/info to movies I add but it is easy to correct and I do understand how it happens...sometimes it is hilarious.
Overall I'm very pleased with my Z9S...well worth the cost.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis