A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
My system:

AVR: Yamaha RX-V385 70W per two channels 20Hz to 20kHz 8Ω 0.09% THD, dynamic power 110W 8Ω/130W 6Ω/160W 4Ω/180W 2Ω
left center right speakers: Klipsch SF-1 40Hz to 20kHz ±3dB, 94dB SPL at 1W at 1m
surround speakers: Klipsch SB-1 60Hz to 20kHz ±3dB, 92dB SPL at 1W at 1m
subwoofer: Hsu Research VTF-3 HO (bass extension: 16Hz/1 port open)
disc player: Sony UBP-800M2 4K Bluray, DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-Audio
TV: Vizio P659-G1

I allow YPAO Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer to run, then disable the Parametric Equalizer PEQ, keep the bass management crossover frequency but set the front left center right speakers from "large" to "small" to actually use bass management, keep the front left center right speakers and subwoofer distance but set the surround speakers to minimum distance, and set all speaker levels to 0dB and adjust the subwoofer volume at the subwoofer volume control by ear. Sometimes I set all speakers to "large" so the subwoofer is LFE only. I set the surround speakers to minimum distance maximum delay because there are listening positions that are farther from the front speakers and closer to the surround speakers than the position of the YPAO microphone at front center seat.

I used to have a Klipsch SC.5 center speaker, but I didn't like the sound. I don't like the sound of most small horizontal center speakers. They don't integrate well with larger left and right speakers. I prefer the sound of a phantom center to a small horizontal center speaker. I set the center speaker to "none" and used only left and right front speakers before I had room for an additional tower speaker.

My front left and right speakers are only about 45° apart rather than 60° or 90° apart, slightly wider than the width of my video display. I am satisfied with the stereo soundstage width. I don't like the sound of front left and right speakers too far apart.

I like the sound of surround speakers, but I frequently set surround speakers to "none" and remove the surround speakers and wire because they are annoying obstacles for people moving around the room.

I don't like the sound of Yamaha Virtual CINEMA FRONT feature.

I detest the sound of Yamaha DSP programs, so I use unprocessed straight decode.

Microphones don't hear like ears. I don't trust any automated system to set frequency equalization.

I consider typical music average level to be peak level -20dB.

THX standard level is 85dB SPL at -20dB full scale at the listening position.

NIOSH Recommended Exposure Limits are 85dB SPL for 8 hours and 105dB SPL for 4 minutes 43 seconds.

94dB SPL at 1W at 1m equals 112dB SPL at 70W at 1m equals 102dB SPL at 70W at 10.6ft, not considering room gain.

I use 14AWG stranded copper speaker wire.

I am certain I could have better sound if I had better equipment and a better room, but I am satisfied with the system I have.

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Yes, WELCOME. It was nice to read about your system and your adjustments you like or not. What size room and do you watch DD movie and enjoy music? It was rather interesting on your perspective of the center channel. Yes, it is your ears that dictates what sounds you like or not. Enjoy your system!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My system:

AVR: Yamaha RX-V385 70W per two channels 20Hz to 20kHz 8Ω 0.09% THD, dynamic power 110W 8Ω/130W 6Ω/160W 4Ω/180W 2Ω
left center right speakers: Klipsch SF-1 40Hz to 20kHz ±3dB, 94dB SPL at 1W at 1m

I allow YPAO Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer to run, then disable the Parametric Equalizer PEQ, keep the bass management crossover frequency but set the front left center right speakers from "large" to "small" to actually use bass management, keep the front left center right speakers and subwoofer distance but set the surround speakers to minimum distance, and set all speaker levels to 0dB and adjust the subwoofer volume at the subwoofer volume control by ear. Sometimes I set all speakers to "large" so the subwoofer is LFE only. I set the surround speakers to minimum distance maximum delay because there are listening positions that are farther from the front speakers and closer to the surround speakers than the position of the YPAO microphone at front center seat.

I used to have a Klipsch SC.5 center speaker, but I didn't like the sound. I don't like the sound of most small horizontal center speakers. They don't integrate well with larger left and right speakers. I prefer the sound of a phantom center to a small horizontal center speaker. I set the center speaker to "none" and used only left and right front speakers before I had room for an additional tower speaker.

My front left and right speakers are only about 45° apart rather than 60° or 90° apart, slightly wider than the width of my video display. I am satisfied with the stereo soundstage width. I don't like the sound of front left and right speakers too far apart.

I like the sound of surround speakers, but I frequently set surround speakers to "none" and remove the surround speakers and wire because they are annoying obstacles for people moving around the room.

I detest the sound of Yamaha DSP programs, so I use unprocessed straight decode.

Microphones don't hear like ears. I don't trust any automated system to set frequency equalization.

NIOSH Recommended Exposure Limits are 85dB SPL for 8 hours and 105dB SPL for 4 minutes 43 seconds.

94dB SPL at 1W at 1m equals 112dB SPL at 70W at 1m equals 102dB SPL at 70W at 10.6ft, not considering room gain.

I am certain I could have better sound if I had better equipment and a better room, but I am satisfied with the system I have.
Why set speaker levels arbitrarily to 0, without an spl meter?

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
Why set speaker levels arbitrarily to 0, without an spl meter?
I believe microphones don't hear like ears. I don't need my SPL meter because YPAO uses its own microphone and test signals. I use YPAO automation as a starting point and to measure speaker distance and set delay, but I trust my own ears for setting speaker levels and equalization. The YPAO process starts with the subwoofer level control at midpoint. My subwoofer is more powerfull than my main front and surround speakers and amplifiers, so YPAO sets the main front and surround speaker levels high and subwoofer level low. I reset the AVR levels to unity gain and adjust the subwoofer level by ear at the level control. One result is the AVR subwoofer output level is higher, so the subwoofer input signal detection seems to trigger more reliably.

I think the low bass is too prominent as set by the YPAO automation.

Last edited:
LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
My system:

Wow sounds pretty awesome. I have a rxa800 that I bought as an open box deal a while ago that was missing the ypao. Just recently picked one up. Was it hard to setup? Or I should say use. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
YPAO and the other mic-based setup systems are relatively easy to use, some like Audyssey can be more involved especially with additional apps and such but basic YPAO just follow your avr manual for guidance and you should be good.....but setup the speakers/subs in good positions to start.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
YPAO and the other mic-based setup systems are relatively easy to use, some like Audyssey can be more involved especially with additional apps and such but basic YPAO just follow your avr manual for guidance and you should be good.....but setup the speakers/subs in good positions to start.
Appreciate input. I just finally after years have all the pieces to start. (I think) room is not great. Basically working with my finished basement. Only using half. So 20’ wide. 11’6” deep. Tv is mounted off center of room due to window locations. Rears will need to be mounted on beam at 6’ high. Definitely could use help with exact placement. Should be 7.1. I was thinking of mounting sides from ceiling aiming down angle. Ceiling only 6’8” high. Hopefully pictures post. My 1st night on forum.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Appreciate input. I just finally after years have all the pieces to start. (I think) room is not great. Basically working with my finished basement. Only using half. So 20’ wide. 11’6” deep. Tv is mounted off center of room due to window locations. Rears will need to be mounted on beam at 6’ high. Definitely could use help with exact placement. Should be 7.1. I was thinking of mounting sides from ceiling aiming down angle. Ceiling only 6’8” high. Hopefully pictures post. My 1st night on forum.
LOL most of us use rooms twisted to multi uses, eh? I tend to like working with the length rather than width of a room for layout.....but not always possible in all rooms.

So just basic 7.1 layer? No Atmos? The off center tv would drive some of us a bit nutty with OCD but.... :) Having surrounds, as well as rear surrounds, above ear level is what I generally have done, and aimed as necessary. I don't have Atmos setups (don't want to do the ceilings....). I'd start off at the Dolby suggestions for speaker layouts to get my basic ideas down https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1-virtual-speakers-setup-guide/

Windows and fireplaces....always getting in the way (unless you block them out and cover them perhaps).

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
LOL most of us use rooms twisted to multi uses, eh? I tend to like working with the length rather than width of a room for layout.....but not always possible in all rooms.

So just basic 7.1 layer? No Atmos? The off center tv would drive some of us a bit nutty with OCD but.... :) Having surrounds, as well as rear surrounds, above ear level is what I generally have done, and aimed as necessary. I don't have Atmos setups (don't want to do the ceilings....). I'd start off at the Dolby suggestions for speaker layouts to get my basic ideas down https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1-virtual-speakers-setup-guide/

Windows and fireplaces....always getting in the way (unless you block them out and cover them perhaps).
My AVR doesn’t support Atmos. Yamaha RXA800. I’ll check out what dolby suggest. Thanks for link

Attachments

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic

Kinda see what I have to work with. The wood ceiling is done now and that steel beam in middle of ceiling is now boxed in. I was mounting rears to it over couch.

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis