My Sherbourn PA 7-350 experience/review.

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
Its on its way back to Sherbourn. Hopefully they will find something wrong with it :)

KeithL

KeithL

Audioholics Approved Vendor
I'll have to admit to being somewhat perplexed by your experience. The PA 7-350 is VERY flat; it really has no character other than playing whatever you send it cleanly and accurately. It isn't going to add midrange or mid-bass, but neither will it subtract any. The only reason I can think of as to why it should sound different from your previous amplifiers is that perhaps they were adding frequency response anomalies or distortion to the sound - which made whatever you played through them sound "fuller".

I haven't ever heard an MC2200 (a bit before my time), but I notice that, while it has reasonably flat frequency response and relatively low distortion (for its day), it also has a VERY low damping factor (quoted as "greater than 16" - whereas modern amplifiers like ours tend to be over 500). That, and some phase shift, are the inevitable costs of using output transformers in the signal path. With modern speakers, this would tend to leave the MC2200 unable to control their woofer movement very tightly, which could well lead to "warmer" (although less accurate) bass. I've also never heard the Adcom (also before my time), but it seems to be rather more on par with modern amplifiers, with at least respectable performance (they don't quote damping factor but, since it doesn't use output transformers, I assume it is also on par with other modern designs). [I've also seen a few reviews which suggest that it sounds good.]

All I can say for sure is that the PA 7-350 does NOT have any dips in its frequency response (it is ruler flat in the audio band), which leads to the conclusion that any differences in frequency response between it and other amplifiers must be inaccuracies in the frequency response of the other amps you are comparing it to (or other additions that make it sound as if there is more sound in certain frequency ranges). Our aim has always been "neutrality" and "lack of coloration", and the PA 7-350 meets this goal quite well; how this compares to "live sounding" is a matter of personal interpretation. Everyone has their own tastes, so it's not unreasonable to suggest that the way the PA 7-350 sounds may not be to your liking, although most people who like clean neutral sound do find it to be quite good sounding; which is why we have a 30 day return policy.

This Thursday, I received my new Sherbourn PA 7-350. I unboxed it, and was very impressed with the fit and finish of the unit.

I proceeded to hook it up to my 7 Mission 765I speakers four of which have great Heils replacing the dome tweeters, all with Supercaps replacing the old original crossover capacitors.. They sound absolutely fantastic. I used the unbalanced inputs on the amp.

At first, the sound I heard seemed to be clean, with lots of reserve power, but I soon realized there was something missing from it. I soon realized, that it was mid-bass.. It was missing from every CD I played. Great bass, great treble, but thin mid-range and mid-bass. I then hooked back up my Adcom 5802 to the fronts to compare. Up and back I went, from one amp to the other, and the difference was astounding. My old Adcom was alive and full,, as was the McIntosh, while the Sherbourn sounded, well,like I said, lacking of key elements. I played rock, classical, R&B, you name it, at all volumes, and they all sounded dissatisfying as previously described. No tone adjustments fixed the problem. I tried everything.

My friend brought over his Definitive Technologies BP7000SC speakers, which we hooked up to the fronts, and we observed the same thin mid-range, and lack of mid-bass..

I am currently back to my old setup, which is the Outlaw 990 preamp, (Also tried a Mcintosh Preamp with similar results) Adcom 5802 in the front, Macintosh MC2200 for the surrounds, and an Adcom 545 for the rear. I am no audio snob, but I could easily hear something wasn't right. I just wanted one amp, with the same gains to even out my system. It wasn't that my current setup sounded bad, but I was always fiddling with the gains at different volumes. The price of having three different amps.

You know, I really had high hopes for this amp, after reading the specs and reading two reviews on this amp, and the preview, which was from Audiholics site.. I was impossible to find anyone who owned it that had commented on it. I took a chance, and this is my reward. I am heartbroken, so to speak. I just don't understand the two 'professional reviews' praising this amp as they did. Is it me?

I guess I'll be sending it back. Not what I expected to have to do.. This sucks..:(

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'll have to admit to being somewhat perplexed by your experience. The PA 7-350 is VERY flat; it really has no character other than playing whatever you send it cleanly and accurately. It isn't going to add midrange or mid-bass, but neither will it subtract any. The only reason I can think of as to why it should sound different from your previous amplifiers is that perhaps they were adding frequency response anomalies or distortion to the sound - which made whatever you played through them sound "fuller".

I haven't ever heard an MC2200 (a bit before my time), but I notice that, while it has reasonably flat frequency response and relatively low distortion (for its day), it also has a VERY low damping factor (quoted as "greater than 16" - whereas modern amplifiers like ours tend to be over 500). That, and some phase shift, are the inevitable costs of using output transformers in the signal path. With modern speakers, this would tend to leave the MC2200 unable to control their woofer movement very tightly, which could well lead to "warmer" (although less accurate) bass. I've also never heard the Adcom (also before my time), but it seems to be rather more on par with modern amplifiers, with at least respectable performance (they don't quote damping factor but, since it doesn't use output transformers, I assume it is also on par with other modern designs). [I've also seen a few reviews which suggest that it sounds good.]

All I can say for sure is that the PA 7-350 does NOT have any dips in its frequency response (it is ruler flat in the audio band), which leads to the conclusion that any differences in frequency response between it and other amplifiers must be inaccuracies in the frequency response of the other amps you are comparing it to (or other additions that make it sound as if there is more sound in certain frequency ranges). Our aim has always been "neutrality" and "lack of coloration", and the PA 7-350 meets this goal quite well; how this compares to "live sounding" is a matter of personal interpretation. Everyone has their own tastes, so it's not unreasonable to suggest that the way the PA 7-350 sounds may not be to your liking, although most people who like clean neutral sound do find it to be quite good sounding; which is why we have a 30 day return policy.
We appreciate you chiming in and based on our comments we were also confused by what he was hearing. That being said he has mentioned that the amp powering his front L/R is an Adcom 5802 which, unless something is wrong with it, should perform extremely well and be nice and flat as well. It was a Nelson Pass design IIRC.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Kieth, could there be a problem with the amplifier that he received? I have always had good luck with Emo products, but maybe he opened up a lemon? I spoke with him and he seems to know what he is talking about and hearing, not a "fruit loop" that just wanted to lug a 100 lb amp in his living room and then have a friend of his lug over a 150lb $5000 set of towers to find the same missing "mid field"... Could it be a faulty unit?

S

Sam Ash

Audioholic Intern
I am almost at the verge of buying this same amp and then came across this post. Could you kindly let me know what transpired ? What did Sherbourn say ? Was it faulty ?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I got a chance to hear and look inside this amp a few weeks back, do not hesitate if it is what you want, the only reason I would never buy one is while I believe in a lot of headroom I see having 1400 watts for surrounds overkill... I have used a mini X to power surrounds and even with the fronts getting almost full power from my xpa3 the mini-x powered surrounds kept rite up... I think the weight a lot of guys put in thier "effect speakers" would be better leaned towards their front end and subwoofer... Although this monster would look awesome sitting on an isolation table in the corner of my living room, sometimes too much is too much...

I know these were on sale, but as far as I know they are all gone now, I almost bought one for the sale price but talked myself out of it because 1 its over kill and 2 I prefer 5. vs 7. .... But if quality and sound are what you are curious about they are 100% worth the cost... you get a lot for your money..

S

Sam Ash

Audioholic Intern
I got a chance to hear and look inside this amp a few weeks back, do not hesitate if it is what you want, the only reason I would never buy one is while I believe in a lot of headroom I see having 1400 watts for surrounds overkill... I have used a mini X to power surrounds and even with the fronts getting almost full power from my xpa3 the mini-x powered surrounds kept rite up... I think the weight a lot of guys put in thier "effect speakers" would be better leaned towards their front end and subwoofer... Although this monster would look awesome sitting on an isolation table in the corner of my living room, sometimes too much is too much...

I know these were on sale, but as far as I know they are all gone now, I almost bought one for the sale price but talked myself out of it because 1 its over kill and 2 I prefer 5. vs 7. .... But if quality and sound are what you are curious about they are 100% worth the cost... you get a lot for your money..
Thank you very much indeed for your response, I appreciate it.

Its reassuring to hear from someone who has heard the amp.

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern

I realize that this is an old thread but someone looking for information will uktimstely find this. The Sherbourn is as stated, totally missing the midbass. While the top end is clear and engaging the missing midbass will make reproduction eventually disappointing. Looking to flat frequency response graphs for answers is ludicrous and shows your complete lack of understanding of electronics. You obviously haven't heard first generation Sony CD players with ultra flat frequency response yet absolutely bereft of bass.

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
The Adcom 7807 actually delivers more power at eight and 4 ohms and is right in that $2kish price range.

MSRP is about where the Outlaw is, but with a little looking can be had for much less.
Nope

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis