My Review of the Nvidia Sheild TV Pro

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lol. Yeah me too…how’s that projector!!!

Great review Daniel San. I like reading about these things and you covered mostly what I needed to know. Aside from my ATV4k, I have only used my two BD players, and Xbox to stream. So far I have NO reason to abandon my ATV4k. I had considered a shield but just don’t need another device. I’ve been satisfied with the Apple. However, if I do change directions it will be to a shield. Along with Treb, I thank you. Lol
And me having a projector in every single room is totally your fault bro!!! You gave me lil man syndrome when you made fun of my first ever set up I posted here! All those big a$s speakers with that lil a$s teeny tv sitting on top!

You remember? ;) :D

You've gone and created a monster bro!!! This is my bedroom now thanks to you!

20230516_102059.jpg
20230516_102053.jpg

I hope this makes you feel..... Terrible! :D ;)

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Lol. Yeah me too…how’s that projector!!!

Great review Daniel San. I like reading about these things and you covered mostly what I needed to know. Aside from my ATV4k, I have only used my two BD players, and Xbox to stream. So far I have NO reason to abandon my ATV4k. I had considered a shield but just don’t need another device. I’ve been satisfied with the Apple. However, if I do change directions it will be to a shield. Along with Treb, I thank you. Lol
I also have Apple TV and XBOX and Amazon Firestick 4K. I use them all at times. But call me crazy but I get really good sound out of the XBOX for streaming in one of my setups.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And me having a projector in every single room is totally your fault bro!!! You gave me lil man syndrome when you made fun of my first ever set up I posted here! All those big a$s speakers with that lil a$s teeny tv sitting on top!

You remember? ;) :D

You've gone and created a monster bro!!! This is my bedroom now thanks to you!

View attachment 61981View attachment 61982

I hope this makes you feel..... Terrible! :D ;)
Yes. It makes me feel terri…….bly awesome!!!!!
Jk. Yeah, I do remember that. Seems like so long ago. You have gone through a lot since then. Glad you’re still here sharing. As for displays? Well, I have nothing to say. I’m still rockin my ol 58” plasma. Btw, your rooms are awesome.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also have Apple TV and XBOX and Amazon Firestick 4K. I use them all at times. But call me crazy but I get really good sound out of the XBOX for streaming in one of my setups.
I’m not really surprised. Our Xbox is the kids media room. It’s connected to a very middling 5.1 system so I don’t have experience with it beyond that. I would like to bring it into the theater and game in Atmos. I think that would be amazing!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
While it has its issues, my XBOX Series S console supports Dolby Atmos and 4K @120Hz where it counts, in Gears5 multiplayer. It streams audio well enough, but doesn’t support Atmos on certain apps. It can, however, convert everything to DTS:X for output. The Series X doesn’t support Dolby Vision on 4K discs so I didn’t spend the extra money to get it. The Series S is a better console than I expected for the price.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Shield is great for streaming apps like YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ and Twitch. The Plex client is much better than what was available on the PS3 and I use that for my video library. I have Kodi installed but have yet to link it to my Plex library. Need to do that to decode multi-channel FLAC audio. My only gripe is Android's poor audio drivers. You either need pass-through or something like Kodi with its own drivers. Roon still treats the Shield as a Chromecast device and while that's convenient for the Roon developers it leaves you with the Chromecast limitations. I would really like to see Roon develop a Shield driver with their RAAT technology. If I don't feel like using the Roon phone app, Plex is a decent audio player but I prefer the Roon interface and its AI for genre matching.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The Shield is great for streaming apps like YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ and Twitch. The Plex client is much better than what was available on the PS3 and I use that for my video library. I have Kodi installed but have yet to link it to my Plex library. Need to do that to decode multi-channel FLAC audio. My only gripe is Android's poor audio drivers. You either need pass-through or something like Kodi with its own drivers. Roon still treats the Shield as a Chromecast device and while that's convenient for the Roon developers it leaves you with the Chromecast limitations. I would really like to see Roon develop a Shield driver with their RAAT technology. If I don't feel like using the Roon phone app, Plex is a decent audio player but I prefer the Roon interface and its AI for genre matching.
If you want multichannel audio (FLAC, music only) and have plex, the HTPC client is great for that so is Kodi. Kodi on the shield is hit or miss with multichannel audio. Some work, some don't.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If you want multichannel audio (FLAC, music only) and have plex, the HTPC client is great for that so is Kodi. Kodi on the shield is hit or miss with multichannel audio. Some work, some don't.
That's helpful info thank you!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My Plex server is in another room on my tower PC. I run Roon and a number of background apps as well. I would need to purchase a fanless HTPC to have one in the recroom but opted for the Shield. Kodi is the only option I've seen so far for multi-channel audio but I don't have a significant collection yet.

For @Danzilla31, panteragstk mentioned to me some time ago that you can link your Plex library to Kodi so that you can use either interface to access the same media. Takes a bit of research and manual fiddling to setup but I've been too busy to complete it. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My Plex server is in another room on my tower PC. I run Roon and a number of background apps as well. I would need to purchase a fanless HTPC to have one in the recroom but opted for the Shield. Kodi is the only option I've seen so far for multi-channel audio but I don't have a significant collection yet.

For @Danzilla31, panteragstk mentioned to me some time ago that you can link your Plex library to Kodi so that you can use either interface to access the same media. Takes a bit of research and manual fiddling to setup but I've been too busy to complete it. :D
For android TV, Kodi really is the only choice for multichannel audio. It works decently enough, but I have some FLAC that I created that won't play properly. It's weird and I don't have the issue on my PC.

If I listen to multichannel audio, it's usually in my office so my PC is already plugged into my system.

If I wanted to do the same in my theater, I'd have to put a PC near it again, which I don't plan to do just for one singular purpose.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis