My Review of the Nvidia Sheild TV Pro

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
20230516_102203.jpg

Just like everyone I've tried several different streamers. Apple 4k TV, Roku Ultra, Amazon, etc etc. So I decided to try out the Nvidia and write my impressions and why I chose it over the others

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So they all have they're issues but the biggest one for me with my runner up the Apple 4k is that both it and the Roku do no allow pass through of the audio so the reciever can handle it.

The Nvidia does which is a huge plus for me.

As I tried it though I found there are some other things that really stood out and made me have it as my go to streamer.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
#1 menu: very fast and intuitive it was a snap too set up and the menu interface wasn't cluttered have to much adware and was very fast and easy to move around in

#2 customization: You literally have control and can do so much with it. Not only is it a great streamer, but you can open up administrative developer options and can speed up the processor customize the fan speed and performance. You can set up Plex and Kodi. Rip your discs build your catalogue. There is literally nothing you can't do. Some devices may do certain things better but the Nvidia can literally do it all and do it all well and excel in some areas.

#3 Video
The AI image enhancer works really well. The auto feature for dynamic range now works really really well. The image in 4k is every bit as good as the Apple 4k which I feel is one of the best out there. The upscaling from 1080p and lower res content is done very well thanks to the AI enhancer.

Audio: this is the best sounding one in my opinion the pass through on the audio feature makes a noticeable difference both from the roku ultra and the Apple 4k. It allows pretty much any audio format you can think off. Dolby Atmos you name it.

Mobile App: the downloadable you can put on your phone or tablet is awesome. Fast great customizable arrow pad synches super fast. The remote that comes with is great but I found myself using the mobile app over it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Which Roku model did you use?
Roku ultra I didn't like that it didn't allow passthrough and although it can process Dolby Atmos it never could due to licensing issues for Tidal or Netflix or Prime or any other streaming platform you can think of. The Apple 4k and the Nvidia can access any audio format on any platform pretty much across the board

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay so what are the cons really there was only one I could think of. It can be a big one for some.

It does not have IR so if you want to integrate it into a universal remote you are SOL. Annoying not a game breaker but since I do use one remote solutions in my setups still annoying

However the remote that comes with the Nvidia does allow me control of my ave and projector. I can turn them on and off control volume it's a very nice touch. In my bedroom since I bought a second one to go there and it's my only streamer I just power on my stuff with the remote.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t believe the 2019(shiny 4670) Roku Ultra supported Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision at all. The 2020(matte 4800) Roku Ultra supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision and supports passthrough of audio signals. Dolby Atmos works for video services. Unfortunately, the Amazon Music, Apple Music and Tidal apps do not support Dolby Atmos tracks.

The Nvidia Shield Pro, if I remember correctly, can also do the second unfolding of Tidal MQA that caps at 96/24 when other streamers will do 48/24. I swear I got it to work when I had it. I really need to get one, again. But, just as sure as I do, they will release a new model.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So in conclusion the Nvidia is the most expensive option out there. And it delivers on just about every area.

Except for the inexcusable at this price point decision to not include IR in it to integrate into a custom home theater or all in one living room and entertainment systems. But still the other areas it excels in makes this my # one go to streamer.

Rating scale *sucks: **subpar: ***just okay: ****very good: *****beyond excellent

Audio:*****
Video:*****
Video enhancement*****
Processor speed and power*****
Menu layout and ease of use*****
Customization*****
Streaming speed*****
Connectivity wired*****
Connectivity wireless*****
Integration into system all in one solutions:*

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t believe the 2019(shiny 4670) Roku Ultra supported Dolby Atmos or Dolby Vision at all. The 2020(matte 4800) Roku Ultra supports Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision and supports passthrough of audio signals. Dolby Atmos works for video services. Unfortunately, the Amazon Music, Apple Music and Tidal apps do not support Dolby Atmos tracks.

The Nvidia Shield Pro, if I remember correctly, can also do the second unfolding of Tidal MQA that caps at 96/24 when other streamers will do 48/24. I swear I got it to work when I had it. I really need to get one, again. But, just as sure as I do, they will release a new model.
Yeah I swear I could get Tidal to do that too. Yeah the Roku sometime formats Dolby Atmos on movies etc but still cannot with music. Big killer for me.

Out of all of them the Nvidia has been my favorite and I love that you can actually do Kodi and Plex on it as well.

I plan to thoroughly dive into everything it can do in the weeks to come

Just sucks they took out the IR in it for universal remotes although for what it delivers I can live with that

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW my Harmony Ultimate/Hub remote can deal with both IR and BT....and with the hub so can my 665.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah I swear I could get Tidal to do that too. Yeah the Roku sometime formats Dolby Atmos on movies etc but still cannot with music. Big killer for me.

Out of all of them the Nvidia has been my favorite and I love that you can actually do Kodi and Plex on it as well.

I plan to thoroughly dive into everything it can do in the weeks to come

Just sucks they took out the IR in it for universal remotes although for what it delivers I can live with that
You have really pointed out what a jungle this is. I maintain that all that is needed are good aps for Mac and Windows, and be done with. You have reinforced to me, why I refuse to enter this jungle. This arena is a big killer to acceptance of home AV. So I resolutely refuse to purchase any of those really horrid devices. Yes, that is the correct description of them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
And yet, you still use the horrible streaming device built into your TV. It is inferior to every streaming device on the market. Hey, I use it occasionally too, but that doesn’t mean webOS isn’t a total piece of s#%t. LG Display makes great OLED panels. LG Electronics’ webOS and Simplink aren’t doing those great panels any favors. Windows and Mac OS will never be fully optimized for ALL streaming service apps. It’s not a hardware issue.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

And yet, you still use the horrible streaming device built into your TV. It is inferior to every streaming device on the market. Hey, I use it occasionally too, but that doesn’t mean webOS isn’t a total piece of s#%t. LG Display makes great OLED panels. LG Electronics’ webOS and Simplink aren’t doing those great panels any favors. Windows and Mac OS will never be fully optimized for ALL streaming service apps. It’s not a hardware issue.
Actually, I barely use the TV as a streaming device. I only use the BPO app, and now BPO have an Atmos app for Windows, just released. I have not installed it yet, but I will experiment with it soon. All my other streaming is via my HTPC or DAW. It is easy, and the quality is superb.

No I will not be buying a hunt and peck streamer ever.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
To each their own. Some like the ease of use of a remote controller with or without the option of voice control on a streaming device. Some prefer a keyboard using a PC or MAC.

The Dolby Atmos tracks on BPO concerts may disappoint on any platform as the hi-res 2.0 tracks using the Dolby Surround up-mixer are great. What the Dolby Surround up-mixer does with a two channel hi-res track on the BPO app is quite amazing. I don’t select the Atmos track anymore. These are the results using the Amazon Fire TV Cube 3rd Generation. Results will vary for the app on other devices.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Apologies to @Danzilla31 for the derailment. I’m going to figure out a way to justify another Nvidia Shield Pro purchase after reading this review. Don’t know if I should give thanks or assign blame.;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Apologies to @Danzilla31 for the derailment. I’m going to figure out a way to justify another Nvidia Shield Pro purchase after reading this review. Don’t know if I should give thanks or assign blame.;)
I didn't feel you guys derailed the thread at all. I enjoyed the information. I 100% agree with you that despite they're quirks I would go with ANY one of these over a tv built in app or a Windows based program. They just are 100% better you just have to find the one that works for you. For me that's the Nvidia Shield TV Pro for others it may be something else variety is always welcome for customers

As far as taking the blame it's okay Im a big boy I'll take the blame! I can handle the heat! :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As far as taking the blame it's okay Im a big boy I'll take the blame! I can handle the heat! :D
Lol. Yeah me too…how’s that projector!!!

Great review Daniel San. I like reading about these things and you covered mostly what I needed to know. Aside from my ATV4k, I have only used my two BD players, and Xbox to stream. So far I have NO reason to abandon my ATV4k. I had considered a shield but just don’t need another device. I’ve been satisfied with the Apple. However, if I do change directions it will be to a shield. Along with Treb, I thank you. Lol

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

To each their own. Some like the ease of use of a remote controller with or without the option of voice control on a streaming device. Some prefer a keyboard using a PC or MAC.

The Dolby Atmos tracks on BPO concerts may disappoint on any platform as the hi-res 2.0 tracks using the Dolby Surround up-mixer are great. What the Dolby Surround up-mixer does with a two channel hi-res track on the BPO app is quite amazing. I don’t select the Atmos track anymore. These are the results using the Amazon Fire TV Cube 3rd Generation. Results will vary for the app on other devices.
I agree, those high res BPO tracks are superb. However they are getting better with their Atmos apps. The separation and perspective is improved over the two channel version. I will be interested to see how their Windows app works.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I didn't feel you guys derailed the thread at all. I enjoyed the information. I 100% agree with you that despite they're quirks I would go with ANY one of these over a tv built in app or a Windows based program. They just are 100% better you just have to find the one that works for you. For me that's the Nvidia Shield TV Pro for others it may be something else variety is always welcome for customers

I have fast buttons for all my preferred sites on the HTPC and DAW. It is really fast, especially now all the mother boards are gamers boards. If it were not for gamers, I think things would be awkward, but I benefit greatly from their Tech.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lol. Yeah me too…how’s that projector!!!

Great review Daniel San. I like reading about these things and you covered mostly what I needed to know. Aside from my ATV4k, I have only used my two BD players, and Xbox to stream. So far I have NO reason to abandon my ATV4k. I had considered a shield but just don’t need another device. I’ve been satisfied with the Apple. However, if I do change directions it will be to a shield. Along with Treb, I thank you. Lol
Speaking of projectors I bought an Epson 4050 for the bedroom Kind off the 6050'$ lil brother that I have in the theater room. I'll be posting a review on that later tonight.

I bought a couple new things over the past couple weeks I'll be reviewing actually

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis