My Review of the Epson 4050

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In my hunt for an acceptable projector for my bedroom setup I was looking for something that wouldn't be obscenely expensive but could provide me a good 4k image. I went with the Epson 4050 and have had it for several weeks now let's see if it was what I was looking for

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I had an older commercial epson that I received dirt cheap that I had been using in my bedroom. But it had its cons.
It was a light cannon which was both good and bad, Very noisy, Image was good but had its limits 1080p only.

So I wanted something affordable but that could put out a 4k e-shift or native decent blacks didn't have to be the best but good contrast and color reproduction.

It needed to have excellent lens shift and memory because I could not place the projector centered on the screen

Well as you know finding a projector that is affordable even on the used market well good luck

While searching Best Buy had the 4050 on a sale that was under $2000. After some research I thought why not and placed an order

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Packaging: the 4050 arrived to Best Buy I did store pickup.

Insanely double boxed and well packaged which was reassuring. So for boxing and packaging I would give this a 10 out of 10 with 10 being the highest mark I can give.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It was a light cannon which was both good and bad, Very noisy…
Definitely have to check the Noise Level spec on the PJ.
My 6,000 Lumen EB-PU1006: 28dB (low, 4200 lumens), 29dB (medium, 5100 Lumens), 30dB (high, 6,000 Lumens).

Sony VW5000ES ($50K): 30dB (low), 35dB (high, 5000 Lumens).

So if someone got a $50K Sony 5,000 Lumen projector for their room and wanted to use 5000 Lumens, it would be 35dB-Very-Loud.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I always struggle with the 4010/4050 models as they only have the HDMI 1.4 inputs on them and are not compatible with full 4K/HDR input resolutions. The 4010 is pretty extensively reviewed already and has a lot of information out there about it. This is the 'black' version of that model which is functionally identical. Epson tries to set it apart with some minor software tweaks, that make very little sense.

Definitely the best part of the projector is the lens that it uses since it is the same one found on the 5050/6050 models which also use their UB LCD panels that deliver significantly better overall contrast.

Not sure why @Danzilla31 feels that 'lens shift memory' was an important feature as it appears that the screen is a standard 16:9 screen, so there shouldn't be any need to adjust lens shift after the initial setup. Motorized lens shift is a nice feature, but manual lens shift accomplishes the same thing. So, a model like the Epson 3800 MAY have worked in the same setup. This is important to consider as the Epson 3800 does have full HDMI 2.0 inputs on it and has measured contrast that bests the 4010/4050 models. It just doesn't have the same zoom range and lens shift range of the 4000/5000 series models from Epson.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I always struggle with the 4010/4050 models as they only have the HDMI 1.4 inputs on them and are not compatible with full 4K/HDR input resolutions. The 4010 is pretty extensively reviewed already and has a lot of information out there about it. This is the 'black' version of that model which is functionally identical. Epson tries to set it apart with some minor software tweaks, that make very little sense.

Definitely the best part of the projector is the lens that it uses since it is the same one found on the 5050/6050 models which also use their UB LCD panels that deliver significantly better overall contrast.

Not sure why @Danzilla31 feels that 'lens shift memory' was an important feature as it appears that the screen is a standard 16:9 screen, so there shouldn't be any need to adjust lens shift after the initial setup. Motorized lens shift is a nice feature, but manual lens shift accomplishes the same thing. So, a model like the Epson 3800 MAY have worked in the same setup. This is important to consider as the Epson 3800 does have full HDMI 2.0 inputs on it and has measured contrast that bests the 4010/4050 models. It just doesn't have the same zoom range and lens shift range of the 4000/5000 series models from Epson.
Yeah I haven't had time to finish my review got called into work extra but I will for sure finish this thread and what I liked about it and I'm definetly looking forward to all your guys feedback

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok back again to finish this as @BMXTRIX correctly pointed out lens shift is not necessary in my room BUT it's nice to have the option.

In fact this is one of my biggest reasons to go with Epson the bang for the buck
Let's look at what you get

a high-quality, 15-element glass lens.

automated lens memory to allow constant image height display of multiple aspect ratio sources on 2.4:1 screens without an external anamorphic lens--a rare feature on home theater projectors in this price range

the projector offers a long zoom ratio of 2.1:1 as well as extensive horizontal and vertical lens shift to expand placement options. The powered lens allows remote control of zoom, focus, and lens shift, so image adjustments are easy even when the 4050 is ceiling-mounted.

It arrives with a ceiling mount and extra lamp as part of its cost and is covered by Epson's 3-year warranty for the projector and 90 days for the lamp.

It's faux 4k just e shift but it looks great and when I was watching images in 4k on YouTube different demo videos it looks stunning.

Blacks are great
Colors pop
Detail and clarity is excellent
Contrast is great
Can it hold that detail with a lot going on like a movie? Not as much but still very very good blows my older 1080p out of the water

Is it best in class? No Is it awesome for the price especially what I got it for on sale for bedroom use? You better believe it.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One last thing to note ease of setup and placement flexibility.

That was a difficult room to setup in
I'm way off center of screen by necessity.
The Epsons motorized lens shift both horizontal and vertical and motorized zoom and focus. Made setup a snap

Is it best in class on blacks no
But it's ability to process 4k content plus everything else you get makes this a great buy if on a budget and you want 4k and have a difficult install where you can't place it on center of screen

The Epson 4050 gets my full ,recommendation

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok back again to finish this as @BMXTRIX correctly pointed out lens shift is not necessary in my room BUT it's nice to have the option.
Pretty much EVERYTHING about this HOBBY is "Not Necessary" anyway. Everything in this hobby is a "LUXURY". :D

So heck yeah, I absolutely love the power lens control (zoom, shift) on my PJs.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Pretty much EVERYTHING about this HOBBY is "Not Necessary" anyway. Everything in this hobby is a "LUXURY". :D

So heck yeah, I absolutely love the power lens control (zoom, shift) on my PJs.
Yeah I agree I love the fact if I switch screen ratios with a different screen even off center my Epson can adjust on the fly bang for your buck Epson just kills it

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I agree I love the fact if I switch screen ratios with a different screen even off center my Epson can adjust on the fly bang for your buck Epson just kills it
Definitely a nice luxury. For like 15 years I was using PJ's that had manual lens. Then I got PJ's that had powered lens. After that, there's no going back. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis