My PC won'[t recognize my Yamaha TSR-7850, help!

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
I got a used Yamaha TSR-7850. It works fine. I mainly need it to use my surround speakers with my PC windows 10. I can see the picture on the HD TV, but like my last receiver, it needs to be recognized by the computer as a device for the sound to work, but I can't get the PC to see the TSR-7850. Digital audio (s/pdif) with "high definition audio device" under it, and my tv name with "amd high definition audio device" under it are the only two settings listed under output. Digital audio (s/pdif) doesn't produce any sound; the setting with my tv name just plays badly through my center speaker. All the hdmi cords work fine. I don't know what to do. How do I get my PC to recognize the TSR-7850. I've tried everything chatgbt told me too, the manual says nothing, and I'm not an expert. Please help me.
Thanks

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi @Amature55555 , welcome to the Board.

I have one of my systems integrated with my PC and therefore are quite familiar with how to set them to work together.

Here's the Yamaha TSR-7850 Manual to start with, for us all to reference. I'd only go to a s/pdif connection if I wasn't able to use an HDMI cable, as the latter allows for lossless codecs to be utilized, and frankly, an HDMI cable is also simpler to deal with most of the time. Can you give me details on the PC (I build them for close friends and family - so I know my way around Windows PCs a bit as well)? The model number if it's a Dell, HP, etc., or motherboard & video card if it's a custom built will suffice.

My preference would be to utilize an HDMI out of the PC into an unused input of the Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Then the signal would be tweaked as you like there, with audio flowing to your speakers, and any video going via HMDI out of the receiver to your TV. Once set up this would be come your default audio output setup for your PC and therefore painless.

Of course if you want audio to flow differently, please advise and we can move from there.

I hope this is helpful.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
I guess what I need is to install a driver for the new receiver. I couldn't find what I wanted in the manual. What page or chapter should I look at. I have my PC connected by HDMI to reciever in, then HDMI out to TV. I had this set up with a Denon Receiver, and remember having to call for help and install the Denon driver as a device on my computer somehow. I also have this on my laptop, and I tried the Yamaha with the laptop, and got the same results. Do I have to uninstall the Denon driver before it can sence the Yamaha? My main desktop is homemade, 5 core processor, and I know it has a XFX Radeon video card because it says xfx on the side of the card, I don't know which model. Where would I look to find out in the computer what model it is? My laptop is a Dell latatude e6540, but my desktop is the computer I need to connect with hdmi. It's windows 10, both are. Please help!
Thanks

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
If you're not seeing an HDMI based connection in the sound control panel, then you may have to look at the video drivers. Audio passthrough to HDMI is usually something the video card has to do, so you need to install (or enabled) the audio portions of the drivers for whatever video device you have.

If this is an integrated video device in the motherboard, there are some reports that you may have to go into the BIOS and set the iGPU as the primary boot/display device before audio will be passed through it.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
@Amature55555 Windows 10 is a little bit trickier than Windows 11 but still doable. I lit up my old MSI Windows 10 laptop to walk through it, so I know it should work this way for you.

As you provided the Dell laptop info, let's do that first. It will be very similar with your desktop. There are no drivers needed regardless of receiver brand. It's all about shutting the equipment down, making the right cable connections, then turning it on in order with the right input selected on the receiver. It's done via the communication / handshaking via the HDMI cable.

Before you connect the HDMI cable to the Dell if you "right click" on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of the task bar you should see this:

Right Click on Sound Icon.jpg

If you select Open Sound settings, the only choice you are likely to see will be the Audio Controller Realtek ALC3226. But turn off the laptop, plug in the HDMI to the Dell and the Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver, and your TV. Then turn on the receiver and TV, and select the correct HMDI input on the receiver. Restart the laptop, Open Sound settings ("right click" on the speaker icon) and this time you should have an option to select the Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver like I do with the Denon in the screen capture below:

Right Click on Sound Icon to select HDMI Connnected Receiver.jpg

Then you should select the Yamaha and be good to go for whatever video / audio source you play on the PC.

I hope this is helpful.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm gonna try this tomorrow; it's been a horrible day, and I am wiped. Tomorrow I will try it, and I will return with a status report. So stay tuned. If I have to do something as extream as the bios set up I'll need help. I'm hoping restart will be enough. I reset my receiver to factory, so I hope that doesn't matter. I played with the sound output, but I didn't do the restart thing, so stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I'm gonna try this tomorrow; it's been a horrible day, and I am wiped. Tomorrow I will try it, and I will return with a status report. So stay tuned. If I have to do something as extream as the bios set up I'll need help. I'm hoping restart will be enough. I reset my receiver to factory, so I hope that doesn't matter. I played with the sound output, but I didn't do the restart thing, so stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel.
The usual first step is what's called a soft reset or reboot, just an interruption in power by unplugging it from the ac source for a bit. Sometimes beyond that you need a factory or microprocessor reset, which generally involves a specific and simultaneous combination of front panel option buttons held for a certain amount of time until the display confirms reset....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I guess what I need is to install a driver for the new receiver. I couldn't find what I wanted in the manual. What page or chapter should I look at. I have my PC connected by HDMI to reciever in, then HDMI out to TV. I had this set up with a Denon Receiver, and remember having to call for help and install the Denon driver as a device on my computer somehow. I also have this on my laptop, and I tried the Yamaha with the laptop, and got the same results. Do I have to uninstall the Denon driver before it can sence the Yamaha? My main desktop is homemade, 5 core processor, and I know it has a XFX Radeon video card because it says xfx on the side of the card, I don't know which model. Where would I look to find out in the computer what model it is? My laptop is a Dell latatude e6540, but my desktop is the computer I need to connect with hdmi. It's windows 10, both are. Please help!
Thanks
What setup steps did you perform when you installed your Yamaha AVR?

If it's not connected to the local network, do that. Once it has established a connection, find the IP address, open the browser in your computer and enter the address in the search bar with /setup

You'll see a web page that has all of the details for that AVR and you can see everything much better than using an app on a phone/tablet (which does work, BTW) and it has ALL settings. Look for the Inputs tab, maybe called HDMI inputs and match the one used for the PC- if it's not active, make sure to change that. This area is where you can rename the inputs, so you don't need to translate HDMI 1 into BD player, Cable, DVD, etc.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you yet. I've been sick, and am getting better. I'm hoping I can start working on this in a day or two. I'm in a lot of pain at moment, but less than last few days. I will get back to you as soon as I'm better.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
OK, I am feeling better. I tried Jim's suggestion, and it did not work on either computer. I'll try some of this other stuff listed. Please reply when it works or doesn't. I think I'm gonna have to get money back from ebay at this point.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
@Amature55555 Windows 10 is a little bit trickier than Windows 11 but still doable. I lit up my old MSI Windows 10 laptop to walk through it, so I know it should work this way for you.

As you provided the Dell laptop info, let's do that first. It will be very similar with your desktop. There are no drivers needed regardless of receiver brand. It's all about shutting the equipment down, making the right cable connections, then turning it on in order with the right input selected on the receiver. It's done via the communication / handshaking via the HDMI cable.

Before you connect the HDMI cable to the Dell if you "right click" on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner of the task bar you should see this:

View attachment 68378

If you select Open Sound settings, the only choice you are likely to see will be the Audio Controller Realtek ALC3226. But turn off the laptop, plug in the HDMI to the Dell and the Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver, and your TV. Then turn on the receiver and TV, and select the correct HMDI input on the receiver. Restart the laptop, Open Sound settings ("right click" on the speaker icon) and this time you should have an option to select the Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver like I do with the Denon in the screen capture below:

View attachment 68383

Then you should select the Yamaha and be good to go for whatever video / audio source you play on the PC.

I hope this is helpful.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
Hey, I'm feeling better now, but I just tried this on both computers, and it did not work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've not had any problems connecting my laptop to my avrs with hdmi. I just change audio setup to accommodate and haven't thought much about it. Generally I do not use a computer for an a/v source, tho....just once in a while via hdmi to make it a bit more direct from the laptop.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
What setup steps did you perform when you installed your Yamaha AVR?

If it's not connected to the local network, do that. Once it has established a connection, find the IP address, open the browser in your computer and enter the address in the search bar with /setup

You'll see a web page that has all of the details for that AVR and you can see everything much better than using an app on a phone/tablet (which does work, BTW) and it has ALL settings. Look for the Inputs tab, maybe called HDMI inputs and match the one used for the PC- if it's not active, make sure to change that. This area is where you can rename the inputs, so you don't need to translate HDMI 1 into BD player, Cable, DVD, etc.
I'm trying to connect it to the network, but after the factory restart I can't get the receiver menu to show up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying to connect it to the network, but after the factory restart I can't get the receiver menu to show up.
Since factory restart erases all your setup, did you make sure it was setup as last time working?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Sorry Jim this didn't work
Glad you are feeling better, but sorry you can't get this to work. I was really trying to help you. My instructions and screen shots were off my laptop running Windows 10, so I know it works.

Perhaps you can check out this YouTube for guidance. I know it uses a TV for the sound but your receiver will be treated the same.

How to change sound output Windows 10 (HDMI, headphones, optical out)

I have my main PC (which I built running Windows 11) connected via HDMI into my HT system in the Basement and the sound works flawlessly via HDMI from the PC.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It won't show up on the TV screen? That's one of the settings in the menu, so you'll need to use the AVRs display for accessing the menu. Once you go to the Network part, find the IP address and use the browser on your computer, as I suggested. You'll see all possible settings in the screen, making setup much easier.

Your AVR is hard wired to the network? If not, do that- if it means that you need to move the AVR to be close enough, do that- it's hard to stress enough that setup is far easier on the computer screen than in the little display on any brand of AVR.

If you don't see anything at all on the TV screen, re-check the HDMI cable connections at both ends and make sure the input assignment on the TV hasn't changed, especially if you had enabled CEC (or Any+Net in a Samsung TV)- it wouldn't change inputs if the AVR isn't set up to use that.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
Right now the screen on the receiver says 9xxxx, and I can't bring up the menu

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry for you having problems with it while not feeling well. To make sure everybody is on the same page, you could post the model of TV and PC and also the HDMI ports in use to connect them to the Yamaha. Otherwise, everybody is just shooting in the dark.

If not already doing so, connect the PC to the Yamaha's #1(MOVIE) HDMI port. Connect the Yamaha to the TV using each of their ARC ports to get a picture to the TV and also to get audio from the TV tuner and/or Smart apps back to the receiver if using HDMI-CEC.

Use the INPUT button on the Yamaha remote controller to select the PC as the source device when selecting HDMI1. Make sure the TV's ARC port is the selected source input using the TV remote controller. This should give you an image of the PC desktop.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis