My Onkyo TX-SR805 Died. What to Replace it with?

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
My 3 1/2 year old Onkyo TX-SR805 died recently. When I looked into fixing it, I was told it would probably cost $400 - $500 for the three issues that had developed. I've decided that it would be better to buy a new receiver instead.

What I would like to know is, what current models are out there that would be similar to this unit. I don't care if it is Onkyo brand or not, I just want something that will work reliably. I'm willing to consider Onkyo again or some other brand.

My equipment that I have hooked up to it is:

Panasonic TH-58PZ700U 58" 1080P plasma TV via HDMI
Oppo DVD player via HDMI
Panasonic Blu Ray player via HDMI
PS3 via HDMI
Onkyo CD changer via optical (I think)

Speakers: (All are from AV123)
2 RS760 Tower Speakers
1 RSC 200 Center Speaker
2 RSS 300 Surround Speakers
MFW-15 Sub Woofer

What would people recommend? I'm looking to get something similar to what I had in performance/features.

Are there any links I should read to educate myself on what is available? I haven't spent much time researching stuff since upgrading all of this about 3 1/2 years ago.

Any help is very much appreciated.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
Would you recommend the Denon over the Onkyo?

Thank you for your help.

You can get the Denon 3311 Like-New condition directly from Amazon for $739:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003LVZYNI/ref=olp_prime_used?ie=UTF8&shipPromoFilter=1&sort=sip&me=&seller=&condition=used

Or $836 brand new directly from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-3311CI-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B003LVZYNI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312305062&sr=1-3

It's 125WPC vs. 135WPC on the Onkyo 809, but you should not notice any difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I prefer Denon over Onkyo.

I think if you have a $1,500 budget, the Denon 4311 (retail $2,100) is hard to beat in terms of everything.

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
I've started looking around for info on this yet. Initial reports are that there are issues with the network card quite often.

Do you have an opinion on Yamaha or Pioneer? The Pioneer SC-35 looks like a similar model.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I prefer Denon over Onkyo.

I think if you have a $1,500 budget, the Denon 4311 (retail $2,100) is hard to beat in terms of everything.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've started looking around for info on this yet. Initial reports are that there are issues with the network card quite often.

Do you have an opinion on Yamaha or Pioneer? The Pioneer SC-35 looks like a similar model.

Thanks for the input.
My only recent experience with Pioneer was one of their SACD players. It had issues playing some discs, and Pioneer didn't even have any firmwares to fix the issue.

So in terms of network and technology, I don't think Yamaha & Pioneer are any better than Denon.

But I think in terms of sound quality and performance, Denon, Pioneer Elite, and Yamaha are very even.

DenPureSound has the Denon 4311, and he doesn't seem to have any network issues with the Denon.

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
Thank you for the input.

My only recent experience with Pioneer was one of their SACD players. It had issues playing some discs, and Pioneer didn't even have any firmwares to fix the issue.

So in terms of network and technology, I don't think Yamaha & Pioneer are any better than Denon.

But I think in terms of sound quality and performance, Denon, Pioneer Elite, and Yamaha are very even.

DenPureSound has the Denon 4311, and he doesn't seem to have any network issues with the Denon.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Do you have an opinion on Yamaha or Pioneer? ...

Thanks for the input.
The Yamaha is a very good product as well. I have older components from them. Been very faithful to me. ;):D

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
The Yamaha is a very good product as well. I have older components from them. Been very faithful to me. ;):D
I have had Great service out of my Yamaha AVR. I have a 2003 RX-V2400 7.1 AVR(Bedroom unit now) I used for years until I needed HDMI and HD so I got the 805 after it died I found a Yamaha RX-V1900 HD AVR 7.1.

I have noticed that the AVR that go online seem to have more "Hand Shake" HDMI switching issues then one's that don't. When found my 1900 before I purchased it I went to the Yamaha Factory site and looked to see if Yamaha had any updated firmware for it. There were not any. To me this is a good indication that this series working as designed and no new firmware was needed to correct any problems. I coud be wrong here ..just sayin.:)
Good Luck in your Hunt.
Louis

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
Well after spending the day researching things, here is where I am at.

I can get the Onkyo TX-NR809 for $909 including a 5 year extended warranty from B&H. It seems to have more features than just about anything else at this price point.

I did see two other deals that look interesting and I'd like some input on them.

1) I can get the YAMAHA RX-A2000 from an ebay dealer with 100% ratings for $980. This does not include any extended warranty and it is not from an authorized seller. I don't know if that is a big deal if I need support from Yamaha or not. Still it is a good product at a good price.

2) I saved the best for last. I can get the Yamaha RX-V1900BL from an unknown dealer online for $665 and it is labeled as B Stock (whatever that means -I think it means open boxed or something like that). This doesn't have a warranty either and I'm not sure if it would be honored by Yamaha.

Thoughts? What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks again to all the help and advice people have shared.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic

I can get the Onkyo TX-NR809 for $909 including a 5 year extended warranty from B&H. It seems to have more features than just about anything else at this price point.

I did see two other deals that look interesting and I'd like some input on them.

1) I can get the YAMAHA RX-A2000 from an ebay dealer with 100% ratings for $980. This does not include any extended warranty and it is not from an authorized seller. I don't know if that is a big deal if I need support from Yamaha or not. Still it is a good product at a good price.

2) I saved the best for last. I can get the Yamaha RX-V1900BL from an unknown dealer online for $665 and it is labeled as B Stock (whatever that means -I think it means open boxed or something like that). This doesn't have a warranty either and I'm not sure if it would be honored by Yamaha.

The Onkyo with 5 year warranty is hard to pass up. Call B&H tomorrow and ask is this a new unit. And is this Onkyo warranty for 5 years? If so this hard to beat. B&H is a good place to deal with. We purchased our Canon camera from them. Free shipping and 5 years....... as much as I like my Yamaha and all the issues I had with Onkyo 805 I would go with 809. I have not read any of these having issues. Also ask them if it does has a problem do you have to pay freight to send it back to B&H for repair so you don't have to deal with the Factory?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Look at it this way, the Yamahas that people have are still running verses your Onkyo that died just in 3 years which IHO is a premature death. I cant help but wonder if you provided adequate cooling for the Onkyo and that is the reason it died?

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
Regarding cooling: I followed all of the guidelines people gave me at the time (or went beyond them) including a full 12" of space above the receiver and several inches on the side. I made a cut out behind the receiver so air could circulate. I even cut holes in the top of my cabinet so hot hair could escape. I agree with you that heat was probably the issue (along with a part that should have been made with better tolerances) but I did everything that was recommended and then some. Since then, Onkyo has started putting fans in their receivers so this should help the heat issue, but I thin you are right and that this was primarily a heat issue.

I agree that 3 1/2 years is premature. My old Kenwood was still going strong after 15 years when I replaced it with the Onkyo.

Look at it this way, the Yamahas that people have are still running verses your Onkyo that died just in 3 years which IHO is a premature death. I cant help but wonder if you provided adequate cooling for the Onkyo and that is the reason it died?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Regarding cooling: I followed all of the guidelines people gave me at the time (or went beyond them) including a full 12" of space above the receiver and several inches on the side. I made a cut out behind the receiver so air could circulate. I even cut holes in the top of my cabinet so hot hair could escape. I agree with you that heat was probably the issue (along with a part that should have been made with better tolerances) but I did everything that was recommended and then some. Since then, Onkyo has started putting fans in their receivers so this should help the heat issue, but I thin you are right and that this was primarily a heat issue.

I agree that 3 1/2 years is premature. My old Kenwood was still going strong after 15 years when I replaced it with the Onkyo.
Sounds like you provided adequate air space for the unit.

There have been a few people here who have had poor customer service from Onkyo. Once bit, twice shy is my advice to you regardless of Onkyo's warranty.

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast

There have been a few people here who have had poor customer service from Onkyo. Once bit, twice shy is my advice to you regardless of Onkyo's warranty.
Good to know. Thanks for the input. I would love to hear what kind of issues they had if any of them want to post about it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I have to agree with you.:D

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Good to know. Thanks for the input. I would love to hear what kind of issues they had if any of them want to post about it.
On Audio Karma there is a 700 plus page thread about the 805 issues. I too had 6" of venting space and opened the back of my cabinet and had a fan on it after the 2nd time I had issues with it. Mine was a lemon...but I am retired and my AVR is on (TV too) 14 hours a day, so one year of my use is like many for person with a real job:eek: My Yamaha 2400 is a 2003 but Not a HDMI as is my 1990 Kenwood AVR (hook up 2 VCR to it) it still works and it was in a rack. I have fans on all my AVR/Amps now after the 805 issues. B&H is a good place to do bussiness with 5 year warranty makes me think he might not regret the 809. But I too went back to a Yamaha. But I did not see a Onkyo with 5 year warranty when I was looking for a HD replacement. I was looking at Emotiva seperates but the Pre/Pro had so many issues with firmware etc I passed. My budget would not allow a more expensive equipment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis