My old Bose Wave Radio

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I bought one in 2020 or so as a backup to my main rig. It sits in a 3rd bedroom and is hardly ever used. Except as a clock in that room. :(

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Agreed....I bought a super clean 1998 model , as a back up....cant beat it's quality space saving design & sound....but keeping my Sansui & JBL set up too....
Agree my Dad had one he got when it first came out and it outlasted every other sound appliance in the house - TVs, radios etc. Expensive but well built.

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
Agree my Dad had one he got when it first came out and it outlasted every other sound appliance in the house - TVs, radios etc. Expensive but well built.
Agreed....mine is actually model II / Circa 2005....great tuner & CD deck...very good for a small unit.

B

bosefriendly

Enthusiast
Yeah, as much as I rag on Bose normally, I gotta give the little Wave Radio credit for being a sturdy little thing. My wife has utterly ABUSED hers. Spent years on top of her bathroom cabinet where she'd steam herself out, sauna style, listening to her morning radio. Then I used it as a garage radio for years. Then it got demoted to the children's nursery where it was just used to play their lullaby CDs. I really didn't care if they broke it at this point, hence why the babies inherited it. They have plugged/unplugged it Lord knows how many times while it was in action, shoved the CDs in forcefully (and not always right side up), eject, repeat. This little thing has a flimsy, cheap feel to it, but by golly I am truly shocked at what it's put with. I have personally not been gentle with it either. Since it's Bose and I typically hate on it, I've always tossed it all over the place without a care in the world. Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to mention that there's a nice curved melted spot on the surface where my wife accidentally left a curling iron on it. Yeah, this thing really is a little tank.

As a CLOCK RADIO, this thing is really great for what it is. Is it a replacement for a legitimate stereo? HECK no. Doesn't play loud at all without sounding like poo, but we can only expect so much from a couple little 2" paper drivers. Also vastly overpriced in my opinion, but price aside, it's a great little machine...again for a fancy clock radio. Definitely worth picking up used from a garage sale, secondhand store, rubbish pile, etc.

EDIT: We also used it as our re-modeling/construction radio too. It's been subjected to a ton of sheetrock dust, tile wetsawing/sawdust, along with paint splatters here and there. Man, we've punished this poor little thing, but it keeps ticking like a Timex though. Probably time to put it out of its misery. We'll see if it boots up after my next move and if not, I'll dissect it for fun.
If, for some reason, you are unable to find a nuclear powered can opener for the operation. I would be open to adoption of the little tyke.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Good I'll have a cd player forever, :)

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
If, for some reason, you are unable to find a nuclear powered can opener for the operation. I would be open to adoption of the little tyke.
Wow...that's amazing...I really like mine for a space saving back up option & think it's a great sounding little unit & am going to take care of mine....

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
You got me thinking I wish I had my Dad’s. Will have to keep an eye out for one at yard sales etc. Like the black but even harder to find.

F

Fomoco69

Junior Audioholic
You got me thinking I wish I had my Dad’s. Will have to keep an eye out for one at yard sales etc. Like the black but even harder to find.
Sounds good....I love my Sansui / JBL set up when I'm in the mood for more powerful in your face music...but as I age I'm trying to go easy on my ears....that's where my little awesome remote controlled Bose Wave comes in handy....I picked mine up recently on Ebay $159 free shipping....Version 2 with CD player

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Sounds good....I love my Sansui / JBL set up when I'm in the mood for more powerful in your face music...but as I age I'm trying to go easy on my ears....that's where my little awesome remote controlled Bose Wave comes in handy....I picked mine up recently on Ebay $159 free shipping....Version 2 with CD player
Great buy! version 2 with the CD player is the one I’ll be looking for

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Just got the AWRC-1G Black With Remote from eBay for $120.55 delivered. Clean and in great shape. Plays just like I remember but I’ve got my Who’s Next CD playing in it in my office instead of the Ames Brothers my Dad would play. I Miss my Dad. Will think of him every time I see it on my desk.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis