My New Ultimate HTPC

johnb554

johnb554

Audioholic
WOW, I havent posted in a LONG time here, so I figure I will make a comeback :D
I just built this new HTPC, and I figured that it was post-worthy due to its extremely awesome ratio of size, power, and price. I will be posting again pretty soon here, because in a couple of months, I will need to (or have the oppritunity to) build a brand new HT setup. Going to need some advice with screens, projectors, etc, so stay tuned!
Back to the HTPC...

Specs:
2x Intel Atom 1.6 ghz (dual processor)
500GB Seagate 7200RPM notebook drive
2GB DDR2 memory (soon to be 4, when i get around to sticking the other module in)
Nvidia ION GPU (GeForce 9400M)
M300 Mini ITX Case

Total Cost: $350
... Plus a Logitech DiNovo Mini keyboard.

The Photos:

How does it perform?
SUPRISINGLY well. This system can handle quite a bit. 1080p playback is an absolute breeze thanks to the powerful graphics chip on the motherboard.
I have installed some games to test out exactly what this thing can do, and to my suprise, many of them work quite well at mid-range resolutions. It even played Crysis @ 800x600... that may seem low, but its impressive seeing as its basically a netbook in a box...

-John

Edit: The motherboard also has a ridiculous amount of connectivity for something in its size... 6x USB in the back, esata, dvi, vga, hdmi, optical, etc etc. the list goes on.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Nice little machine. What OS are you running? I keep telling myself I'm not going to build another HTPC but something like this could be useful.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Did you get the newer Zotac mainboard that supports wake up over usb? I know it wasn't present in their first release.

johnb554

johnb554

Audioholic
I am currently running win7 on it. Seems to be working fine, as much as I am not a fan of windows. lol.

Yes, this motherboard supports wake over USB, I am able to bring the machine back to life using the bluetooth keyboard/trackpad. Everything works really nicely.

-John

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Do you have it hooked directly up to your TV or are you using media extenders to get the files to your TV? I'm interested in doing this. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a media server somewhere and use this as a HTPC that accesses it and streams it to my TV. Interesting.

johnb554

johnb554

Audioholic
I have the unit directly hooked to the TV. It allows me to browse the web, or download movies directly to the machine and watch it. I also have a large collection of HD movies stored on my NAS units and servers downstairs which are also accessable through the HTPC so that I can choose from the library of 5+ TB of movies and play em right off of the network.

-John

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Are you using Wi-fi or a striaght Ethernet connection? This sounds like perhaps this is the solution I have been looking for.

$350 isn't too expensive for me...now I just need to figure out how expensive having a NAS is...

johnb554

johnb554

Audioholic
Im using the built in wireless adapter right now.. its wireless N built in. works fine. it will be wired eth at the new house though.

It can do uncompressed audio through the SPDIF or Optical as it seems, I havent tried it yet though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, Uncompressed Audio is the LPCM 5.1/7.1 audio on blu-rays, which is too robust to be sent via Optical/Coaxial digital cables. You will need to send via HDMI.

1) Let TotalMedia Theatre (TMT) decode TrueHD & DTS-HD MA 5.1/7.1 24-bit/48kHz to PCM and send to your receiver via HDMI. Let TMT bitstream LPCM to your receiver via HDMI.

2) Let Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 sound card Bitstream LPCM, TrueHD, & DTS-HD MA to your receiver.

SPDIF does not have the bandwidth requirement for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or Uncompressed LPCM 5.1/7.1.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Very nice, John. I really like the form factor! I have mine in a huge Silverstone case (though I do have a discrete graphics card in there), so this is quite impressive.

Well, Uncompressed Audio is the LPCM 5.1/7.1 audio on blu-rays, which is too robust to be sent via Optical/Coaxial digital cables. You will need to send via HDMI.

1) Let TotalMedia Theatre (TMT) decode TrueHD & DTS-HD MA 5.1/7.1 24-bit/48kHz to PCM and send to your receiver via HDMI. Let TMT bitstream LPCM to your receiver via HDMI.

2) Let Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 sound card Bitstream LPCM, TrueHD, & DTS-HD MA to your receiver.

SPDIF does not have the bandwidth requirement for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, or Uncompressed LPCM 5.1/7.1.

I doubt the Xonar or the Auzentech HT card will fit in his case, so LPCM would likely be the only option at this time. :)

I am just waiting for the MicroATX Intel G55 chipset motherboard to be released, then many of us will be building the champion of HTPCs. It is rumored to be able bitstream lossless HD audio right from the motherboard, and the onboard graphics power is supposed to rival high-end graphics cards, while at the same time using the small form factor like John's.

Last edited:
ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Very nice, John. I really like the form factor! I have mine in a huge Silverstone case (though I do have a discrete graphics card in there), so this is quite impressive.

I doubt the Xonar or the Auzentech HT card will fit in his case, so LPCM would likely be the only option at this time. :)

I am just waiting for the MicroATX Intel G55 chipset motherboard to be released, then many of us will be building the champion of HTPCs. It is rumored to be able bitstream lossless HD audio right from the motherboard, and the onboard graphics power is supposed to rival high-end graphics cards, while at the same time using the small form factor like John's.

How much and how long until it is here?

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
How much and how long until it is here?
Not much to say. It is still all conjecture at this point, but Q1 2010 would be a good guess on the release date since they just came out with the P55 chipset recently, and the G version is always one or two quarters later. No idea on price either. They also won't be quite as small as John's miniITX, they will be microATX form factor.

johnb554

johnb554

Audioholic
Your right. I had not really looked into it, i just remember seeing the option. I just checked again and it DOES allow uncompressed audio via the HDMI connection on the back.

Sorry for the confusion.

-John

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis