My New System, Question

H

hometheaternoob

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

For my 5.1.4 setup for home theater movies and music.

Ok, I have a Denon 4500h on order from Amazon, coming on Friday.

I ordered the speakers, Klipsch 450c center with 280f side channels.
For side speakers, 2 Klipsch rp500m,
For atmos, i have 4 Klipsch R-2650C II.

All this is coming this week.

I got the boxes today for the center channel and side channels, and they upgraded me to 1 center 504c channel, and 2 side 8000f speakers, which are better.

My question is on the Denon 4500h. Am I ok with this receiver, or do I need amplification?

Noob

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys,

For my 5.1.4 setup for home theater movies and music.

Ok, I have a Denon 4500h on order from Amazon, coming on Friday.

I ordered the speakers, Klipsch 450c center with 280f side channels.
For side speakers, 2 Klipsch rp500m,
For atmos, i have 4 Klipsch R-2650C II.

All this is coming this week.

I got the boxes today for the center channel and side channels, and they upgraded me to 1 center 504c channel, and 2 side 8000f speakers, which are better.

My question is on the Denon 4500h. Am I ok with this receiver, or do I need amplification?

Noob
If the size of your listening room is average and your listening distance from the front speakers is within 15 feet, you shouldn't need external amplification. The Klipsch speakers have a sensitivity of around 92 dB with an input of 2.83 volts and should provide ample loudness.

Here is a link for you to calculate what SPL you should be able to reach with your equipment:

H

hometheaternoob

Audioholic Intern
Thanks.
I was just concerned as the 8000f say 150w, and the 4500h max is 125w.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks.
The 150W rating is far from the amplifier power required to drive the 8000f. Actually, you only need a couple of watts to drive it to loud levels. If you used the calculator that I suggested you use, you would have had your answer.
The 150 watt rating on your 8000f just means that it is the maximum which you can put into it as peak power for a fraction of a second or so, beyond which damage to your speaker will occur.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks.
Speaker sensitivity is a far better gauge than wattage ratings. In general Klipsch speakers tend to have higher sensitivity, meaning you don't need as much power to make them get good and loud. There aren't too many speakers capable of handling 150 continuous watts and I'd never want to listen to one that can for very long. At those volumes you're risking permanent hearing damage.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I pulled some info from the Audioholics review of your speakers. Quite a favorable review too, btw. I think you're gonna be very happy with your new towers!

Shady measured 92.1 dB sensitivity for your speaker, which is a good bit better than most. I think it'd be fair to say 88-89 dB would be a typical speaker's sensitivity rating. That's a 4 dB difference. When you factor that you have to double your amplifier power to gain 3 dB, that's pretty significant! If you had average sensitivity speakers you would need twice the power to reach the same volumes as your Klipsch, so you really have an advantage when it comes to powering them right out of the gates.

Now let's look at that SPL calculator that @Verdinut provided a link to above.

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Screenshot_2020-05-20-11-53-02-1_copy_721x962.png

If you sit ~10' from your speakers then 125 is plenty for you to reach reference levels (85 dB + 20 for dynamic peaks) at your seat without even having to appeal to "peak ratings". At 15' (how far I sit from my speakers) you can still hit 103 dB. More with short bursts of dynamic peaks. Your speakers and receiver should play very nicely together.

H

hometheaternoob

Audioholic Intern
Awesome information. Thank you to both of you for taking the time to provide your knowledge.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis