My New Sherwood Newcastle R-972

S

Stereojeff

Enthusiast
If Trinnov does not display azimuth and elevation for every speaker, attempts to remap are unsuccessful and the image will be centered on the left front speaker. The good news is that the EQ does still work and the EQ, itself, is very effective.

As I have written on other forums, there are three bass level target curves available for the R-972. While they are labeled "Flat", "+ 3db" and "+ 6db", the labels are arbitrary and were selected because that was my impression based on listening in the Sherwood conference room.

Dr. David Rich's measurements for his review of the R-972 showed that the "+ 6dB" file was the most accurate in his listening room. Since David is smarter than I am, I now use "+ 6d" in my home R-972 system.

Jeff

J

jf4828

Audiophyte
Thanks Jeff!

I worked through the issue simply by turning the sub down and pointing the rear speakers at the mic. I'm guessing that the sub was +12dB above the fronts and +24dB with respect to the rears. By manually level matching the sub to the fronts and rerunning trinnov setup my right rear angles magically appeared:) I guess this makes sense because there has to be some limit due to the DSP dynamic range considerations.

After my first dialed in movie I'm thoroughly impressed with the HT performance:)

Still yearning for my Buffalo DAC build to progress because this has no chance of meeting my 2 channel needs.... I think trinnov processing on music completely collapses the soundstage:( Pure direct just doesn't sound right to me either? What settings are others using for 2 channel?

S

Stereojeff

Enthusiast
I use stereo with 3D remapping. Have you tried Delay and level, only?

Jeff

I

islandman2020

Audiophyte
If Trinnov does not display azimuth and elevation for every speaker, attempts to remap are unsuccessful and the image will be centered on the left front speaker. The good news is that the EQ does still work and the EQ, itself, is very effective.

As I have written on other forums, there are three bass level target curves available for the R-972. While they are labeled "Flat", "+ 3db" and "+ 6db", the labels are arbitrary and were selected because that was my impression based on listening in the Sherwood conference room.

Dr. David Rich's measurements for his review of the R-972 showed that the "+ 6dB" file was the most accurate in his listening room. Since David is smarter than I am, I now use "+ 6d" in my home R-972 system.

Jeff
Hey Jeff, I've just received by R-972. I know this had already been covered somewhere, but I thought I would ask it now while I was thinking about it. Are these "Flat, +3db, +6db" curves already in the R-972? If not, where do you go to get them, and how are they downloaded into the unit?

S

Stereojeff

Enthusiast
I've been gone from Sherwood for over 2 years and do not know which subwoofer target they load into the R-972. Eugene Chavez, Sherwood's tech guru, should be able to answer the question and have the target curves. His telephone is (714) 739-2000. If he doesn't have the curves, please send me a request at stereojeff at gmail dot com and I will send them. Once you have the curves, load one, only, to a USB stick, insert into the R-972 and follow the instructions. It takes less than a minute to load the file. Once the file is loaded, it is immediately available for playback. You do not need a new calibration.

Jeff

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Pumping an old thread

I need a new receiver and one that can EQ my dual subs, so I require MultiEQ XT32

My options are the Onkyo TX-NR818 at $669 shipped and I am strongly considering this Sherwood at $499 shipped w 3yr warranty.

Is the Onkyo just the better buy today as it is newer? Audyssey XT32 or Trinnov? Tired of reading.... The Sherwood seems such a good deal at $499, but quirky and seems many say dont plan to use it as a daily unit in family room w its quirks... But its sound is fantastic for movies as many say...

Last edited:
S

Stereojeff

Enthusiast
I use the R-972 daily in a family situation. I have Dish DVR, HTPC and Panasonic BD player all connected. The only issue is that audio comes up 5 seconds after the video when using any skip functions on the DVR and you occasionally lose 5 seconds of audio between tv program and commercial if the audio format changes.

Regarding dual subs, with the R-972 it will be necessary to use a y output adapter on the sub-out and to EQ the acoustic sum of the subwoofers. I did this quite successfully at a number of audio shows and demonstrations including CEDIA and CES.

Jeff

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
I use the R-972 daily in a family situation. I have Dish DVR, HTPC and Panasonic BD player all connected. The only issue is that audio comes up 5 seconds after the video when using any skip functions on the DVR and you occasionally lose 5 seconds of audio between tv program and commercial if the audio format changes.

Regarding dual subs, with the R-972 it will be necessary to use a y output adapter on the sub-out and to EQ the acoustic sum of the subwoofers. I did this quite successfully at a number of audio shows and demonstrations including CEDIA and CES.

Jeff
Thanks for the feedback. I have narrowed it down to spending more than I originally budgeted. Either the Demon X4000 at 799 returned, the TX-NR818 or this Sherwood at $499 which is a deal saving cash just not all the latest bells and whistles. It is currently second choice, especially if the other 2 drop further w Xmas/B-Day pricing

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis