my new htpc - me likey

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That should be one darned fine HTPC. Last year I built a very credible HTPC from a Pentium based NUC and it did a fine job at 1080P and is now serving as a home server. More recently I built up a very similar to your's spec 4k miniPC system (16GB and a 525GB SSD) for my family room web surfing PC and I like it a lot. I like NUCs and similar because they do the job without driving up the electric bill. You should be very happy with your HTPC.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I know the "I can build a computer for 1/2 that price" guys will come out now. but if you're looking for an off the shelf 4K compliant htpc, this might be the coolest thing ever. I am really happy I got this right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGRRH43/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ratso
If you're happy with it and getting results that make you smile, that's all that matters.
You are correct : there are always trolls that will claim they can "do it for less".
What those trolls don't say is that often means you get less as well.

I run a little Mac Mini that's going on 9 years old now as my media server. It makes me smile every time I use it. I don't care that the "audiophiles" would do it differently.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm in the cheap azz category here. I use 2012 Mac Mini Core I7 something/ssd (free from last work) as my Security camera video recording box or NVR is the fancy term. I record 5x 720p cameras around the house and it's hauling azz just fine.
For my actual htpc (client) I still use atom/nvidia based very tiny asus pc. recently swapped 2.5" disk for ssd. it helped a bit. It's fast enough for local/streaming 1080p and bitstream hd audio to avr. The key is not the processor, but video card acceleration which does heavy lifting.
Running recent build of OpenElec. I agree that NUC is more than enough for HTPC. If asked I'd say modern Pentium class cpu is more than enough.

Thing to worry about/Exceptions are: 10 bit videos (mostly anime), H265/AVC and 4k. For now most of these are edge usage cases AFAIC

jinjuku

jinjuku

I know the "I can build a computer for 1/2 that price" guys will come out now. but if you're looking for an off the shelf 4K compliant htpc, this might be the coolest thing ever. I am really happy I got this right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WGRRH43/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nice and the price is reasonable. Check out the ECS Liva Z starting at $180 and has 32GB EMCC storage, two M.2 slots, dual Ethernet. You'll need to add an OS. If you have NAS then the 32GB is fine.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I'm not surprised you like it.

I built an HTPC round the Intel Ivy Bridge i5 three and a half years ago. I just love it. It has been a real work horse. For the last year or so it has run Windows 10 which was a big upgrade.

I bought an Intel NUC i5 recently for our other residence. It is a really good performer.

Don't apologize for purchasing quality gear. That is always the cheapest all round solution. Often that does not happen and then we get the help posts!

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
the big deal is being HDCP 2.2/4K compatible. I recently redid my whole system when I got my new Samsung to get everything up to 4K - new avr, new htpc, new ps4 and xbox one s. next in line is that new oppo. future proof. at least for the next 9 months :)

Last edited:
ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
btw in a totally non related aside, when are we going to get computers that you can power on and off with a remote? and yes I am a lazy fat ass.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
the big deal is being 4K compatible. I recently redid my whole system when I got my new Samsung to get everything up to 4K - new avr, new htpc, new ps4 and xbox one s. next in line is that new oppo. future proof. at least for the next 9 months :)
https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i3bnh.html
This says HDMI 2.0 and this site that that Intel® Core™ i3-7100U should have HDCP 2.2
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-620.172256.0.html

You're on the very bleeding edge of having hdmi2/hdcp2.2.

Some more info on HDCP2.2 video card support:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/845270/geforce-900-series/gpus-with-hdcp-2-2-support/

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

btw in a totally non related aside, when are we going to get computers that you can power on and off with a remote? and yes I am a lazy fat ass.
Well mine come in and out of sleep mode via the remote. They also turn completely off via the remote. Once they are totally shut down though you have to start them from the computer. Not an issue as I only do total shut down if I'm leaving for an extended period.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7i3bnh.html
This says HDMI 2.0 and this site that that Intel® Core™ i3-7100U should have HDCP 2.2
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-620.172256.0.html

You're on the very bleeding edge of having hdmi2/hdcp2.2.

Some more info on HDCP2.2 video card support:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/845270/geforce-900-series/gpus-with-hdcp-2-2-support/
This 4K issue is a waste of space currently.

The TVs are no longer any good.

One of my sons has bought a 4k UHD screen. I was at his place last weekend. He is upset that the picture is not as good as my plasmas.

He bought a top end Samsung and returned it. He now has a Sony he paid 6K for. It is apparently a little better. However it is nowhere near as good as my Panny Plasmas or even my 11 year old Fujitsu plasma screen.

The problem is that the colors are not natural no matter what you do. Also there is motion artifact. I admit it is slight, but it is there and irritates me.

So the only advice I could give him was to look for a good used Panny plasma.

These current screens are no good and a downgrade. Until screens get as good or better then they were then 4K UHD is a total waste of money and trouble.

If you have a good 2K plasma keep it. If you change it you will regret it.

This is a total disgrace.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
I have not noticed any artifact on mine, but perhaps I just am not sensitive to it. I also do not notice any big difference between my calibrated plasma and calibrated new samsung (I use a colorimeter). what I will say is that ultra 4K is... different. I will say it isn't natural, like a calibrated set. you can say it is oversaturated, blowtorch bright. but I have to sheepishly admit is freaking mindblowing too. me and wifey sat down the first day we had it to watch one of those ultraHD videos of nature and both sat there with our mouths hanging open ogling a lizard o_O

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Due to my family room size, as soon as I could afford 90-100" hi-end 4k TV, I'd buy it, till then my older 55" Panasonic plasma fhd which I recently repaired will do. In fact even If I get 70" I could still get away with fhd and not 4k

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
actually to clarify, I think the main noticeable difference comes from hdr10 sources. the difference between them and HD movies is really dramatic.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This 4K issue is a waste of space currently.

The TVs are no longer any good.

One of my sons has bought a 4k UHD screen. I was at his place last weekend. He is upset that the picture is not as good as my plasmas.

He bought a top end Samsung and returned it. He now has a Sony he paid 6K for. It is apparently a little better. However it is nowhere near as good as my Panny Plasmas or even my 11 year old Fujitsu plasma screen.

The problem is that the colors are not natural no matter what you do. Also there is motion artifact. I admit it is slight, but it is there and irritates me.

So the only advice I could give him was to look for a good used Panny plasma.

These current screens are no good and a downgrade. Until screens get as good or better then they were then 4K UHD is a total waste of money and trouble.

If you have a good 2K plasma keep it. If you change it you will regret it.

This is a total disgrace.
Did any of these disappointing panels have HDR and HDR material?

Everything that I see about 4k/UHD says that HDR is where it's at, not the resolution.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Apparently HTPC like one @ratso bought and built are even more on cutting edge than I thought.
According to article below Intel Kirby Lake CPU were the absolutely first in PC world to support hdcp 2.2 hdmi protection
Apparently only now Nvidia "released" some beta driver to enable same feature on latest video cards.
https://www.techpowerup.com/232892/nvidia-to-support-4k-netflix-on-gtx-10-series-cards

Ratso, see the note about 4k resolution and multiple monitors (if you more than one connected) as it likely to apply to intel as well.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Apparently HTPC like one @ratso bought and built are even more on cutting edge than I thought.
According to article below Intel Kirby Lake CPU were the absolutely first in PC world to support hdcp 2.2 hdmi protection
That would be why Netflix requires a 7th generation (Kabylake) Core CPU for 4k content. For those not in need of a full featured HTPC I've read that NVIDIA's ShieldTV is rated at 4K @ 60hz and supports HDCP 2.2. I don't have a 4k TV yet (my 9y/o 50" Samsung refuses to die) but I really like my ShieldTV at 1080P. Note that the native Kodi app is a bit harder to setup than the Windows version.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That would be why Netflix requires a 7th generation (Kabylake) Core CPU for 4k content. For those not in need of a full featured HTPC I've read that NVIDIA's ShieldTV is rated at 4K @ 60hz and supports HDCP 2.2. I don't have a 4k TV yet (my 9y/o 50" Samsung refuses to die) but I really like my ShieldTV at 1080P. Note that the native Kodi app is a bit harder to setup than the Windows version.
For Android TV use SPMC. Works much better than Kodi on certain boxes due to the fact that it is forked specifically for Android TV. I use it and love it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For Android TV use SPMC. Works much better than Kodi on certain boxes due to the fact that it is forked specifically for Nvidia Shield TV (and few other android platforms as secondary). I use it and love it.
FTFY :)
I still on old-guard OpenElec with a bit older version of Kodi. Works just fine

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
FTFY :)
I still on old-guard OpenElec with a bit older version of Kodi. Works just fine
Ah, guess I glossed over that part. I had thought it was Android TV/android specific.

Openelec is nice, but I use too many other things on Android TV to JUST use Kodi.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis