My Main 2-Channel System

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't want to post pics of my system until I completed my In-ceiling subs. But, since I just finished that project, here they are....

I apologize for the lousy photography, I didn't pay enough attention to what I was doing, I guess.:eek:

I built the component stand from boards that came from a huge pine tree that used to be in my back yard. I had it cut down 3-4 years ago, because I saw some insect boring holes in the trunk and since the tree was only 10 feet from the house I didn't want to take the chance on it being to weak to withstand a bad storm. So, it had to come down. The infestation was in a very small portion of the trunk, so there was a lot of good wood in it. A friend milled it into boards for me and I planed them myself.

The wife didn't want to see any more components in the living room, so when I got the DCX, I had to find a way to make it inconspicuous. So, I installed a bracket behind the stand and mounted it there.

I'm very happy with my Studio 20's. I won't replace them until they die!

I also love my NAD components. The C372 has power to spare and the C425 is the most sensitive tuner I've experienced.

Haven't had a chance to really sort out the new subs yet, but I'm happy so far! Also have to make grills, to keep the wife happy.:rolleyes:

Attachments

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well done, GO-NAD! Dual subs with DCX, and yet with very high WAF! Easier said than done, as I'm sure you know, haha . . .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Nice job!

You are well on your way to becoming an audio craftsman.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Great work man.:D That is one serious build and you did an excellent job. I wish I could come over and hear it.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Great work man.:D That is one serious build and you did an excellent job. I wish I could come over and hear it.
Didn't you hear? The next AH GTG is being held at GO-NAD!'s. The Americans are going to invade Nova Scotia!:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I would tell you my thoughts on the set up but I already did on a different thread.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Didn't you hear? The next AH GTG is being held at GO-NAD!'s. The Americans are going to invade Nova Scotia!:D
Uh-oh...:eek:

I, er, moved! Yeah, that's it! I now live in the Yukon and I just forgot to change my location....

Whew! That was close...;)

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Sweetness! Is there any chance you're considering moving to a music server (Squeezebox) and having your music stream over in a lossless format (FLAC)? It would take those two big CD changers out of the mix. Plus, accessing your music might be a bit quicker if done digitally (via genre, artist, album, etc.).

Great system, though. :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Sweetness! Is there any chance you're considering moving to a music server (Squeezebox) and having your music stream over in a lossless format (FLAC)? It would take those two big CD changers out of the mix. Plus, accessing your music might be a bit quicker if done digitally (via genre, artist, album, etc.).

Great system, though. :)
You're absolutely right! But, that's a "some day" project...

annunaki

annunaki

You know, the coolest bit about your system is the fact that most people will think the tremendous bass output will be coming from your bookshelf speakers. ;)

My buddy that I did the in-wall sub for gets it from people all the time. "Where in the hell is all that bass coming from?" :eek:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You know, the coolest bit about your system is the fact that most people will think the tremendous bass output will be coming from your bookshelf speakers. ;)

My buddy that I did the in-wall sub for gets it from people all the time. "Where in the hell is all that bass coming from?" :eek:
Especially when I put the white grills on. Stealth subwoofers...:D

Actually, my wife will probably "complain" about them to everyone who comes to the house, when in reality the "complaints" are just disguised bragging. I know I won't say anything to anybody.

It's funny, the old sub covered less than 2ft^2 of floor space. Yet, when I removed it, it seemed to free up a lot of space.

I have to say thank-you, once again, for all your help with this project. It wouldn't have happened otherwise. :)

annunaki

annunaki

Especially when I put the white grills on. Stealth subwoofers...:D

Actually, my wife will probably "complain" about them to everyone who comes to the house, when in reality the "complaints" are just disguised bragging. I know I won't say anything to anybody.

It's funny, the old sub covered less than 2ft^2 of floor space. Yet, when I removed it, it seemed to free up a lot of space.

I have to say thank-you, once again, for all your help with this project. It wouldn't have happened otherwise. :)

No problem! I enjoyed helping out. I just wish you lived within driving distance so I could check it out in person, or perhaps have even lent a hand. The more you listen & play around with the DCX the happier you will become I am sure.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
No problem! I enjoyed helping out. I just wish you lived within driving distance so I could check it out in person, or perhaps have even lent a hand. The more you listen & play around with the DCX the happier you will become I am sure.
I have a lot of stuff to do around the house over the next few weeks, so whatever I do with the system, it'll be in dribs and drabs, when I can squeeze it in.

I'll probably be hitting you up for guidance with the DCX at some point. Right now, I have the x-over set at 80HZ and the steepest slopes - 48 dB Butterworth. Not sure if that's the best slope to use.

I'll also need something more precise than my Rives test tone CD - for the subs, at least. The 1/3 octave tones are just too coarse too get a good read of what they are doing, although they sound much better than the old one did and I don't believe they'll require much equalizing. The problem will be with the mains. The readings I get for them probably look like the seismograph readings from the Haiti earthquake - lots of peaks and valleys. :mad: I know it's primarily due to placement and lack of treatments, but there's little I can do about that. I know it's best to address placement and room acoutics before equalizing, but I'm at the edge of WAF right now.:rolleyes:

Just to indicate how happy I am with the subs, I'll say right now - I will never buy a commercial sub again!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We had some friends over for a BBQ on Friday night - parents of kids in my daughters class. While we were eating, the system was playing some background music at low volume. After supper, my wife asks the guys if I'd been "bragging about his stereo". :rolleyes: Well, that's not something I'd do. I hadn't even mentioned it, but now their interest was piqued.

So, I had to do a demo. One of the guys is a fromer radio DJ and is quite musical - he can play pretty much anything with a set of strings. He also has a very strong understanding of loudspeaker design. He was quite impressed with the system, along with the others. All of them have spent the last few years listening to laptops and clock radios, so I don't think it it would have taken much to impress them. The complements were nice to hear though.

The main demo was Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms". Then we moved on to Supertramp's "Crime of the Cenury". We didn't do any classical, as most of the people there weren't into it. Too bad. I would've played the finale of the "1812 Overture" or some pipe organ music to give the subs some work to do.

Anyway, we all enjoyed ourselves. I think I sowed some seeds of audioholism too........Muah-ha-ha!:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
They sound like my kind of people....excellent choice in music...fwiw.:D Do you live in a bungalow or are those in the basement, very nice otherwise:).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis