My laptop died! What should I buy?

T

t3031999

Audioholic
Well my laptop died, and I need a replacement fast.
Since I don't really have time to do in-depth research on every type of laptop that exists, I want you guys to come up with a few recommendations for me.

I need a strong and reliable laptop, size and weight are not really an issue, it's going to be a desktop replacement. I would like around a 15" (wide)screen, DVD/CD-RW drive, 60+ GB harddrive, and 512 MB of ram. I'm looking for something under $1500, but I could go up for a good deal.

So my question, What brand and model of laptop would you recommend?

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
t3031999 said:
Well my laptop died, and I need a replacement fast.
Since I don't really have time to do in-depth research on every type of laptop that exists, I want you guys to come up with a few recommendations for me.

I need a strong and reliable laptop, size and weight are not really an issue, it's going to be a desktop replacement. I would like around a 15" (wide)screen, DVD/CD-RW drive, 60+ GB harddrive, and 512 MB of ram. I'm looking for something under $1500, but I could go up for a good deal.

So my question, What brand and model of laptop would you recommend?
Lazy ***. :p

Toshiba's and HP's are pretty good ones. <i>Make sure you get one with a mobile chip</i>. If you get a regular chip, it will run <b>much</b> hotter and most likely won't last as long. Most of the tech guys in my store would recommend a Toshiba. They also rated pretty high among consumer reports. My folks have a Toshiba and they are pretty happy with it.

~Chuck

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Make sure to get one you can get serviced locally or one that will cover fast service through the warranty. Also, make sure you buy the extended warranty so you're covered for at least 3 years. I personally like Dell, but that's my preference.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
We have about 10 Dell laptops at the office and they have been reliable. We have one Compac and it has given us trouble. Also 2 IBMs that have been reliable as well. IBM is really expensive last time I looked however, but tech support was a cut above the rest the one time we needed it.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
From what I've seen, no computer manufacturer these days is great, there are just some that suck less than others. Unlike the technology of yesteryear that could take a lickin' and keep on tickin', computers today are engineered to the edge of the envelope and consequently fail without too much help. The hard drive suppliers (Toshiba, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Maxtor, and even Seagate and Western Digital to an extent) have let their QC slip. Laptop hard drives fail way too often.

I've found Dell to be fairly reliable, and their Complete Care warranty is without peer. Sure you pay a lot for it, but for years of insurance against anything happening to your computer, it's worth the cost. Consider this: A complete care warranty will run you around $400 on your new computer. The last Inspiron 600M motherboard I replaced out of warranty for a customer came to $695 delivered, before any labor charges. It pays to have a long warranty.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I hate Dell. They are Monster Cable of the computer world. Accept Dells run hot. Dude, you getting a Dell!

If you need it for a desktop, just get a desktop...:confused:

If you need it to be portable, I would look at HP. My bro has one, and its pretty nice. My computer runs circles around it, but its a gaming desktop.

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

Sheep said:
I hate Dell. They are Monster Cable of the computer world. Accept Dells run hot. Dude, you getting a Dell!

If you need it for a desktop, just get a desktop...:confused:

If you need it to be portable, I would look at HP. My bro has one, and its pretty nice. My computer runs circles around it, but its a gaming desktop.

SheepStar
I wouldn't go that far Sheep. I got my Dell 5160 right at $1000 with DVD-burner, 2.8GHZ P4, 512mb(upgraded to 1GB) and 40 gig HD. It does run a little warm playing BF2 but it has never overheated. I have HD and CPU temp monitors and a Targus notebook chill mat. Don't think I've ever seen the HD get over 119F.

My wife's HP desktop on the otherhand, complete nightmare.

T

t3031999

Audioholic
I thought about a mac, but it can't run everything I need without virtual PC and that can be a hassle at times.

Does anyone know if IBM laptops lost any quality now that they are sold by Lenovo? Because they look like the perfect machines for me.

Oh and CaliHwyPatrol, my last laptop had a regular chip and guess how it died... The CPU and GPU fried themselves.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I use IBM ThinkPads exclusively (typing on a t42 right now). They are more expensive but IMO are the best. Of course I don't pay for mine and get a new one every 2-3 years. The only problems I have ever had was failed hard drives (actually only one in the last 10 years) but that is to be expected because I use it for development and it takes a beating.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The only I recommend are Toshiba, Dell, IBM (now Lenovo), Asus, Apple, and the models available at PowerNotebooks.com. All of those companies make high quality laptops and many of the "no-name" ones at PowerNotebooks are actually made by the companies that make many of the brand names. Most brand names don't manufacture their own laptops, Asus and Apple excluded.

More on IBM, IBM sold the Thinkpad brand to Lenovo. IBM no longer makes any laptops. Reports on quality since the change are still coming in but so far, so good.

About Dell, I certainly wouldn't call them the "Monster Cable of the PC world". For people that don't want to build their own and/or want the cheapest PC they can get for basic tasks (no games) it is hard, if not impossible, to beat one of Dell's $399 deals what include a monitor. For higher end PC's, DIY PC's are almost always cheaper and they are more upgradable. Many big names (not just Dell) use proprietary components like power supplies and don't include AGP or PCI-E slots for video card upgrades, which is why I never recommend them for gamers and higher end users. I would never personally buy a Dell because I build my own PC's but some people need nothing more than what the low end Dell's offer.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you are technically savvy at all, I strongly recommend that you periodically open up your laptop and use some canned air to clean the dust out of the crevices, fans, and heatsinks. Over time those little laptop fans suck in a LOT of dirt, dust, hair, and whatnot. You will definitely extend the life of your laptop by keeping it dust-free.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
If you are technically savvy at all, I strongly recommend that you periodically open up your laptop and use some canned air to clean the dust out of the crevices, fans, and heatsinks. Over time those little laptop fans suck in a LOT of dirt, dust, hair, and whatnot. You will definitely extend the life of your laptop by keeping it dust-free.
Ditto the desk top PC's. A once a year (or more often if your general cleaning skills are a bit lacking) cleaning can never hurt.

And Keyboards, for those of us that eat/snack at our desks, we keep a can at every desk to blow out the keyboard every week.

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
We use Dell exclusively at work. If you get one... make sure it's in the Latitude line. It's their "business" class, but they are a little better/sturdier built. We've had quite a few problems with the Inspiron line, but very few with the Latitudes. Our engineers regularly take them to the field for test flights.

I'd also recommend IBM and Sony. I have personally bought/owned both of these brands and have never had problems with either brand. Finally had to replace both because of outdated hardware or stolen. I gave the IBM to my Brother-in-law where he is still using it in the garage as a pdf reader for car manuals. It's over 8 years old. The sony was stolen, or I'd still be using it.

Right now, I'm typing on a Dell Latitude D810.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis