Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
I'm new here, registered today, and I thought a good way to introduce myself would be to post my rigs. After seeing some in here mine seems pretty small. That's alright; it serves its purpose for now until I get into a bigger place.

Main rig:

Sony STR-AV580 stereo receiver.
BSQ EQ-3000 10 band equalizer.
Yamaha KX-500U tape deck.
Yamaha CDX-700U CD player.
Toshiba M755 6 head Hi-Fi VCR.
Toshiba SD2109 DVD player.
DBX Soundfield V (mains).
Wharfedale WH-2 (rears).
Wharfedale WH-2 (center).
Panasonic CT-20*24A 20" television.
Sony Playstation 1.
Sony Playstation 2.
Nintendo NES.
Nintendo SNES.
Nintendo 64.
Nintendo GameCube.
Microsoft X-Box.
Sega Genesis.
Sega Dreamcast.
Atari Jaguar.

Yeah, it would seem I spent a lot of money on the game consoles but I didn't. It is a pretty humble system and isn't even really surround sound being that the receiver is just a four channel stereo receiver. If any of you recognize some of these model numbers you will realize that most of my equipment is pretty old. I use this rig as my music and home theater rig. I does either just fine for the room it is in but I am looking into some new equipment.

Portable rig:

Pioneer SA-1060 stereo receiver.
Pioneer TX-1060 AM/FM tuner.
Pioneer PD-590 CD player.
BSR EQ-3000 10 band equalizer.
Sony TC-WR531 tape deck.
Technics SL-B3 turntable.
Custom 3-way speakers with Cerwin Vega 10" subwoofers (main).
KLH 687 (monitor speakers).

I mainly take some of this rig to parties or use it when I want to listen to some old vynil.

Some misc audio stuff:

Headphones:
Used for LAN parties and portable audio, nothing fancy.
Sennheiser HD-202.
Optimus LV-20.
Optimus Nova44.

Reel to reel:
Sounds much better than standard audio cassettes, just eats up a lot of tape. :)
Webcor 4-Track.

Computer speakers:
They do just fine for music; I don't watch movies on the computer.
Klipsch Pro Media 2.1

In the near future I am going to buy some new equipment for the main rig. I would like to find a good receiver that would allow me to use an equalizer for my analog components, but I can't find one that suites my needs, that or I'm not looking hard enough. I am looking to buy the following components very soon:

Denon AVR-1804 receiver.
Velodyne DD-15 subwoofer.
DBX Soundfield V loudspeakers (for my future 7.1 system).

I am looking at getting a new television, most likely a 36" or larger CRT tube and possibly a new DVD player because I wouldn't mind having DVD audio. I also need a whole slew of cables. Things are subject to change but I want to buy in the next week or two so if you have any suggestions shoot them my way.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Equalizers

Aside from my unit, I've seen mention in a couple of threads the BSR-EQ3000.

Did you all get yours at the same place and time (DAK/mid 80's)?

I remember that I bought mine because of built in Spectrum analyzer in addition to the equalizer portion. Prior to the dismantling of my wife home studio and the acquisition of my ART 351s, it occupied a central place in the downmix. It still performs an important function in my current rig as a visual to confirm my Yamaha's YPAO settings, as well as a tape switcher, and lots of moving light bars to impress in the ignorant.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
hawke said:
Photos, man PHOTOS! :)
Alright, I'll get some up this weekend. :)

Mudcat said:
Aside from my unit, I've seen mention in a couple of threads the BSR-EQ3000.

Did you all get yours at the same place and time (DAK/mid 80's)?

I remember that I bought mine because of built in Spectrum analyzer in addition to the equalizer portion. Prior to the dismantling of my wife home studio and the acquisition of my ART 351s, it occupied a central place in the downmix. It still performs an important function in my current rig as a visual to confirm my Yamaha's YPAO settings, as well as a tape switcher, and lots of moving light bars to impress in the ignorant.
My dad bought his from a Hi-Fi shop locally and then I bought it from him later on. In fact, that is where I got a lot of my equipment such as my receiver, equalizer, CD player, tape deck, and the DBX speakers. He bought them all locally and sold them to me a while back. I was only four when he bought them. I bought my second one off eBay and I'm trying to buy another one off eBay for a friend. I would love to keep my EQ in my main rig so that I can adjust each frequency as I see fit. Too bad the AVR-1804 is not able to use the EQ.

Also, you noticed the thing with the light bars too? I always get the comment from people "I want one of those light things on my system, it looks sweet!"

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
What do you want to buy? An EQ-3000 or more Soundfield V's? Cause I have two DBX Soundfield Vs that I would part with. But I've always been afraid of attempting to package them.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
Mudcat said:
What do you want to buy? An EQ-3000 or more Soundfield V's? Cause I have two DBX Soundfield Vs that I would part with. But I've always been afraid of attempting to package them.
Both.

I want to buy another EQ-3000 for a friend and I want another pair of Soundfield V's for myself when I have a 7.1 system for proper timbre matching. So I'll have a pair of V's in the front, V's in the back, the WH-2's on the side and the center, and the Velodyne up front.

I would be interested in the V's if you have pics of them. I can understand your reluctance, they are a big pair of loudspeakers but I'm sure they would be fine if packaged in the original boxes, that is if you still have them.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I bought my Vs back in 85 or 86, moved three times since then. The best I could do is package them in an appropiate sized hanger box that movers use.

I'm going on vacation for a week or so, but when I get back I'll send or post some pics of the speakers. They are in very god shape though.

Last edited:
J

joelincoln

Junior Audioholic
I have a Soundshaper SS-525x that I got from J&R in the late '80s. I just recently pulled it out of my system when I upgraded to 5.1 with my Yammy 2400.

I did consider leaving it in the system if only as a spectrum display but I thought that would be too geeky. But maybe I should reconsider putting it back in for just that reason.

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
Mudcat said:
I bought my Vs back in 85 or 86, moved three times since then. The best I could do is package them in an appropiate sized hanger box that movers use.

I'm going on vacation for a week or so, but when I get back I'll send or post some pics of the speakers. They are in very god shape though.
Alright, as long as you're sure you can pack them well enough in those. I can't wait to see the pics.

Speaking of pics here are the pics of my stuff:

The main rig:

The Consoles:

The Soundfield V's:

The Wharfedale's:

The portable rig:

The reel to reel:

The tape decks:

And the Pro Media's:

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
A question from the relatively computer helpless. I have a photo of my system I'd love to share but it is about 400KB and the site says anything over 100 won't do. I don't have a web page. Suggestions?

Polygon

Polygon

Audioholic
Dan said:
A question from the relatively computer helpless. I have a photo of my system I'd love to share but it is about 400KB and the site says anything over 100 won't do. I don't have a web page. Suggestions?
I could host it for you on my server.

Or you could shrink it using any graphics program it would likely fit... We have a limit of around 65k that is fairly adequate for anything that is ~800 x 600 pixels and JPEG compressed...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis