David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Hello all, First thing first this forum is awesome!!
I'm buying a new home and it will be done in late December and would like all the advice
I can get from anyone. The room is going to be for movies only and the room will be pitch
black if I want it. Here is a list of equipment I plan on using.
Thinking of building my own screen 106" and setting up the room for a 7.1 surround system.

Projector = Panasonic PT-AE900U
Receiver = Integra DTR 8.4
DVD Player = Integra DPC 8.5
Front speakers = Definitive BP7002
Center speaker = Definitive CLR2500
Surround speakers = Definitive BPVX/P
Rear Surround speakers = Definitive BPVX/P
Subwoofer = Definitive SuperCube Reference

2 rows of seats, 4 chairs on each row, and wanting to build a platform for both rows
of seats so I can install bass shakers.Comments please, any help or comments is
better than none at all. Thanks people.

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice - somebody has done their homework!!:D :cool: We'll need pictures when it's done.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
AVRat said:
Very nice - somebody has done their homework!!:D :cool: We'll need pictures when it's done.
Thanks, Yes I have done my homework and my eyes are about to fall out of my head. LOL anyone know where I can get killer prices on this stuff?
Thanks again

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT Setup

Not bad for someone in the Audiophyte section. Concerning speakers, audio is somewhat subjective, so you might consider audioitioning several systems in your online research.

I'm dreaming about adding the panasonic AE900U front projector to my HT setup so I am interested in your review. From what I read, it is a noticable improvement in contrast over the excelent AE700U model.

Also, I've read good things about the buttkickers for LFE you can feel.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Yeah I recently saw my uncles AE900U and it blew his other one out of the water, Said he paid 4,500 for the other projector 1 1/2 years ago (can't remember the name) But the 900U looked better than my 56" bigscreen.
Sharp crisp image, deep blacks and I didn't notice any of the "Screen door effect" That I have seen on other models. So I'm def using it unless they come out with a AE12000U in the next 30days. As far as the Definitive's go I really like the sound of them for my money. I'm leaving after work to go measure the room in the new house, so I can run all my wires before they put up the drywall.

David G

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Make sure you use at least 14ga wires for the speakers, if not 10ga or 12ga. It's worth it for the long runs. Also, don't forget to run electricity and signal cable to the projector mount area on the ceiling. Oh! And be sure to run at least one, preferably 2 20 amp circuits to your equipment closet/area.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Make sure you use at least 14ga wires for the speakers, if not 10ga or 12ga. It's worth it for the long runs. Also, don't forget to run electricity and signal cable to the projector mount area on the ceiling. Oh! And be sure to run at least one, preferably 2 20 amp circuits to your equipment closet/area.
I was thinking to run 2 sets of a 10 gauge monster type wire to all the speakers, Also do I need to run RCA's to all the speakers since they all have built in sub's even the rear surrounds? I plan on mounting the projector on the ceiling so I need power up there and a HDMI cable run from the DVD player right? Oh crap I just looked at the specs of the Integra DPC-8.5 NO HDMI plug! Damn I don't feel like buying the Integra DPS-10.5 just for the HDMI output any suggestions on a DVD player with 7.1 Multi channel out's with the HDMI plug?

Thanks

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you're going to buy monster cable, make sure to pick it up on eBay. PM BMXTRIX for his source, as it's way cheaper than retail. Also, do you plan on biamping or biwiring? If not, then 2 runs of 10ga is pointless. And actually, if you plan on biwiring, I really don't think it's worth your effort. Monster's 14/4 CIPRO wire should be fine for you. If you run it as a pair of wires for positive and a pair for negative, that's an effective 11ga cable, plenty for your purposes.

As for the RCA to each speaker, I think you may want to rethink your rear surrounds. Look for surrounds that have a more limited response and save some money and time. For the fronts, if you plan on running the speakers as large, or setting their crossovers lower, then yes, be sure to run some coax with an RCA termination to each location as well.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
In wall wire

For inwall installation, I still recommend Belden speaker wire designed for the application. The Belden is Type 3 rated and meets all fire codes so you won't have any issues with inspectors.
If you go with Monster, make sure it is designed for inwall applications and has an outer sheath over the two speaker conductors.

Concerning HDMI, you can always add an external HDMI switch from Geffen or another manufacturer. There are also cables that convert DVI to HDMI.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
jcPanny said:
For inwall installation, I still recommend Belden speaker wire designed for the application. The Belden is Type 3 rated and meets all fire codes so you won't have any issues with inspectors.
If you go with Monster, make sure it is designed for inwall applications and has an outer sheath over the two speaker conductors.

Concerning HDMI, you can always add an external HDMI switch from Geffen or another manufacturer. There are also cables that convert DVI to HDMI.
Great thanks for the Info JcPanny!! I found a DVD player with HDMI and a 7 multi channel output. The Yamaha S2500 Anyone heard good thing from this DVD. I like the price too!!.

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Keep your eyes open on the reviews and shootouts between the AE900 and the Sanyo Z4. Currently, the only head-to-head I've read indicates that the Z4 may be a slightly superior overall machine for the money - and it saves you a couple hundred bucks.

But it from VisualApex - you will NOT be disappointed with them!

If you are making a screen, but can test the projection/screen size before building your screen, then I would recommend that so you actually end up with a screen size that you are really happy with. Some prefer going a bit smaller for the extra brightness, others like bigger for the 'Wow!' effect.

Double check: Don't the Def-Techs all need power outlets right next to them as well? Do NOT forget power! I would download the manual to double check on whether RCAs are needed at each location for their sub. It may just pull that signal off the speaker level input.

I'm personally not a fan of Integra. Just my opinion though. I don't think their engineers are as good as the guys at Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer.

Monster CI/PRO 14/4. Search Monster 14/4 on eBay and you will can pick up 500 feet for about 150 bucks. Yes, CL3 rated for inwall use. Very, VERY! flexible stuff with wiring that strips well and works excellent. Until I find anything better, that is what I recommend to everyone. I don't recommend almost anything else from Monster and I do recommend eBay for your purchase. You can sell what's left over if you need to. But, better to have to much cable than to little.

I would definitely run wiring to allow for bi-amping down the road. 14/4 will give you that option.

Don't forget the RCA AND power connection for the subwoofer location.

Run conduit to the projector! You also want to consider the power requirements for the room and ground loops which may be introduced into the system - especially the projector - by electrical circuits being on different loads. I personally ran all my equipment back to a single location and a dedicated 20amp circuit to run it all. Everything BUT my projector. The projector has some interference. The plasma, which is run back and runs off the same equipment, does not have interference. So, I will run power from the projector to the central location now as well.

How? Conduit!

Make sure to run 1 HDMI cable to the projector, plus at least one component cable (3 wires) and 1 composite cable (1 wire). I would also throw a piece of CAT-5 in there as well.

If possible, I would avoid putting the A/V equipment at the front of the room under the screen. Blinking lights and such can detract from the film watching going on.

Have fun with it!

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Sound like an awesom system.

I have recently finished my HT with Def. Tech. speakers. I have the 7002's up front along with the 2500 center and a pair of the BPX surrounds. I have my LFE going to the 7002's. If i were you I would not worry about sending the LFE to any of your speakers if you are getting there Ref. sub., unless you have a very large room. I would set all the speakers to large and run the LFE to the sub. Go the Def. Tech's. web page and ask Chet Pelkowski. I probably asked him about 20 questions and he aswered everyone within 5-6 hours. As far as places to get a good deal, I got mine at Tennessee Valley Protection (TVP) in Huntsville, AL. I checked prices in Huntsville, Birmingham & Tuscalousa. The average mark down from retail was 10%. TVP was going to give me 20% off of every thing except the 7002 (15%). I ended up buying them cheaper that that (right place right time.) They were in the process of moving to a new store so I got the displays for the 7002's for 25% off. He didn't have any 2500 in stock so he had to place a special order for it so i got it for 15% off. He had 4 or 5 pare of the BPX's that he didn't want to move so I got those for 40% off. Im not sure where you live but TVP was by far the cheapest. Good luck and be sure to post some pic's when your finished.

Omega Suprem

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
My Nickel's worth

I'm basically backing-up what other members have advised.

1. Depending on your room (dimensions?, location?), the BPX surrounds should be more than adequate. Especially with the built in subs up front and the SuperCube Reference.:D

2. You still have a couple of months before you purchase your gear. Do more research to get the gear that best suits your needs. Do you have a budget in mind for specific gear, or overall budget?

3. HDMI is the current to near-future connection of choice. Which means it's still in its infancy, so you pay more for it. The current implementations use the 1.1 standard, 1.2 is approved, and 1.3 is in the works. So you may ask yourself, "Do I really want to pay a premium for gear that I will have to upgrade in a couple of years?" Hopefully, some sort of upgrade capability will be implemented to make this a mute point.

4. Get the wiring right, because once the drywall goes up...

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Thanks guys, I think I might just go with the non-powered rear surrounds.
Here is a scale of the room (ATTACHED IMAGE). I need to go and buy my wires and connectors in the next day or so, I went by the build site and the framing, roof and power wires are already run. SO far what I got from everyone is 14/4 monstercable, HDMI cables, component video, RCA's for sub
and a big roll of power wire so when I run my wires it will blend in with the existing stuff. anything else?

Thanks David G

Last edited:
David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
Anyone live in the Victorville CA area wanna help me wire up my room?

David G

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis