My HT - I'm Done Now

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
OK. Think I'm done now. Almost every component is from recommendation in AH Review & Forum. You guys asked for pics and angles.

Here is the front...
Samsung 55" LED
Aperion Verus Grand Towers and Center
Denon X4000 & Emotiva XPA-5 below TV in black cabinet
Sennheiser RS 120 wireless headphones & Amped wireless access point (flanking Center)
Oppo 103 BDP and satellite receiver in left cabinet

Front looking toward the right...
Shows Rythmik FV15HP

Front looking toward the left. Nothing new, but does begin to show odd shape of the room...

From the TV looking back into the room...
Shows SVS PB13-Ultra, Aperion Verus Grand Towers for l/r Surrounds, and KEF Eggs for rear surrounds. Again some odd room geometry as this part of the room does not have a cathedral ceiling.

And finally, this is part of my alarm system...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks real nice man. Too bad you gotta cover up those beauties. Maybe a little toe-in? Did you tip the center a bit?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Looks real nice man. Too bad you gotta cover up those beauties. Maybe a little toe-in? Did you tip the center a bit?
Thanks guys!

Our chairs are situated a bit to the left of the TV. Mine is directly in front of the left front speaker, so I left it straight. I did toe in the right front, so both are pointed directly at my chair. Not sure if their asymetrical position makes a difference. Maybe I should play with it a little.

I did tilt the center down. It came with a couple rubber cradles, and I added some stuff to the rear of them to give me a little more angle. If I go any more, I'm a little afraid it might slide off. The cradles are pretty tacky, maybe I can try a little more.

There is one thing about the PB13U. The grate on front is curved, leaving an opening at the top. I don't know if a cat would try to go down there on purpose, slip partway in, or just reach in. But any of those could easily mean claw scratches/holes in the speaker. So I think we MUST cover this one, even if we don't care about scratches on the finish.

My wife and I each like 3 things.
I like HT, guns and meat.
She likes Barney, Boo Boo and Skeeter.
It's a fair compromise. ;)

Last edited:
pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
Nice setup, but a couple reccomendations:

1) Move the surrounds back, or move your chairs forward. Having the surrounds in front of your LP is very undesirable.
2) Too much "whitespace" between your TV and entertainment center. If it were me I'd get rid of it altogether. Then you could space your mains a little wider and bring your sub inside of the mains. If you don't want to get rid of the entertainment center, at least lower the top shelf so that it's flush with the top of the TV. Too bad you can't move the main towers closer to TV sides as well, but it looks like the black stand is too wide to allow that.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the suggestions...

1) Move the surrounds back, or move your chairs forward. Having the surrounds in front of your LP is very undesirable.
Agreed. I am thinking of moving the chairs forward. Would be a better distance to the TV too. Working on the wife about it.

2) Too much "whitespace" between your TV and entertainment center. If it were me I'd get rid of it altogether.
You're not married, are you? :D
The "white space" only appears striking because of the camera flash. In fact, it is very subdued and shadowed. But starting from scratch, it would not be my first choice. It's huge, and restricts the size of my TV unless I pull the TV far enough forward that I can still open the cabinet doors. Getting rid of it now would be a serious chore.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I got a solution. You can push the TV back and put the center in front and if it blocks the TV a bit get a board 3-5 inches and put it under the TV legs. Billy Joel :)

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Looks grate buddy well done on the gear, what speakers arnt running off the emo power amp?

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Looks grate buddy well done on the gear, what speakers arnt running off the emo power amp?
Thanks.
All the Aperion Verus Grands... Center, Front L/R, Surround L/R, are running off the Emo amp.
Only the rear surround KEF Eggs are driven by the AVR.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Great looking room and system herbu! I have to say, my favorite shots were the cats. :)

Hope you weren't hit by the severe weather that passed through the southeast.

Last edited:
Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
So much win in the setup clean, and yet not busy looking with to many power amps well done buddy are you happy with it?

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
are you happy with it?
Completely!
I suppose the rear surrounds are the weakest link, but there is so little on these channels, I don't think it is worth any $$$ to upgrade.
If funds were unlimited, I guess the next move would be to move the front speakers to the rear, and get some really great fronts like Salon2s. But I don't see that happening.
TV upgrades, size & maybe 4K, will most likely be the next purchase... but I'm in no hurry.

So, "I'm Done Now", and I'm "completely" satisfied, but I'm sorta putting together a list in my mind of what I would do, if I were to do something.
:D
Does that qualify me as an "audioholic"? :rolleyes:

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
Liking the Aperion Grands more and more each time I see them. Really dig how you wall mounted the Eggs and they seem like they'd be prefect for rear duty. The entertainment center gives you convenient place to put the center speaker. Not a fan of the Emotiva amp at all.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I really am done for a while.
Well, "a while" turned out to be about 6 months. :D

Replaced the front Aperions with Philharmonic 3s. Moved the Aperions to rear surrounds to replace the KEF Eggs.
Huge difference in the front. Some difference in the rear, but not enough I would have spent the money just for that purpose.
upload_2014-11-15_9-55-9.jpeg

upload_2014-11-15_9-56-3.jpeg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Whoa what an update! Dennis does great work huh! Maybe one day I can get a pair of his bookshelves, but right now I'm happy with his Pioneer 52's mod. Enjoy man!!!:D:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis