My HK AVR235 just died! HELP

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Ok, my HK just died on me. I was watching TV and it all went silent. What happened? I didn't touch the remote. This is what i have done so far:
- Check the mute button (it's not muted), thought it was the tv, turned it to tuner, still no sound!
- Check cables (no lose cables)
- Couldn't get the OSD on TV
- Power is ok, all displays on the receiver is up (working properly)
- Subwoofer not getting any signals (light goes orange/yellow if there's no signal)
- Unplugged the receiver for 10 min (not working either)
- Exchanged the receiver with my Marantz, and they all worked just fine
- Tried to use HK in my bedroom, to no avail.

Question: what might have happened? Anything else i can do?
While asking for any help, i have also emailed the CS at HK for repair (no answer yet, promised response time of 3 business days on their web). Anybody can give me some ideas i can run through?

Thanks.....

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Last time I had an amp or receiver do that, the output transistors had blown out, and luckily, it was covered under warranty. The time before that, it was about 80 bucks for them, and I fixed them myself. It made a loud SNAP when they blew..:eek:

Good Luck..

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Harman Kardon

I had a Pioneer Elite that used a sound card similiar to computers for the sound output. When I lost all the sound is was due to the DSP card in the reciever which cost alot to have replaced (After the warranty). I have never heard of Harman Kardan having that problem but it's another thing to check.

I Hope whatever it is,that's its a quick fix.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
hemiram said:
Last time I had an amp or receiver do that, the output transistors had blown out, and luckily, it was covered under warranty. The time before that, it was about 80 bucks for them, and I fixed them myself. It made a loud SNAP when they blew..:eek:

Good Luck..
That reminds me of the smell, i thought it was my imagination when i smelled like a burnt smell:eek: .

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Factory Reset.

Try leaving the receiver unplugged for a day or doing a factor reset as described in your manual.
However, if you can smell something then that is a bad sign.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Got a reply from HK. They are going to replace my 235 with 240 series. This is one of the smoothest warranty request transaction I've ever experience. Just an email and a phone call away and they are with you. Thumbs up the CS, if i got the new one in hand, then it's gonna be two thumbs up for them:D .

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
HK Receiver 235

Glad to hear that HK is standing behind on their product. Let us know how it goes with the new one when you Get it.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Gary935 said:
Glad to hear that HK is standing behind on their product. Let us know how it goes with the new one when you Get it.
I just received the replacement on yesterday. I hooked it up and it works perfectly. Nice new addition to the 240 is the "bridge" for ipod hookup, not that i have an ipod...:eek: but it sure is a plus. It also has more surround sound options. One thing i'd also like to mention is you can hookup your hdtv cable box/dvd via the component video input and the ez-set microphone.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
masak_aer said:
That reminds me of the smell, i thought it was my imagination when i smelled like a burnt smell:eek: .
I got a nice dose of that when the old NEC Dolby Pro-Logic amp I was using on my PC until a few months ago blew up when I turned it on one morning. The filter blew right off the PC board with a big POP. I looked inside and took it out and put it out a week later for "unlimited pickup". I saw some old guy put it in his truck and cart it away about an hour later. I don't think he got it going!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis