My first DIY sub build but need help

O

osasa

Audiophyte
Hi

I finished building my first DIY 2 drivers subwoofers.

I used:
- Dayton Audio DCS385-4 15"
- Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore 2
- Yamaha RX-V685

I am connecting both subs to stereo port first from Yamaha amp sub 1-2 out to Crown 1-2 RCA input, then from Crown 1-2 cable out to passive sub drivers 1-2.

I tried playing different movies clips. I can hear the bass but not that much strong as my old 25 years Yamaha subwoofer. The drivers barely moves even with full Crown volume and Yamaha at 70%.
Crown setting: low pass, sensitivity 30hz, stereo

Is there anything I am missing?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi

I finished building my first DIY 2 drivers subwoofers.

I used:
- Dayton Audio DCS385-4 15"
- Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore 2
- Yamaha RX-V685

I am connecting both subs to stereo port first from Yamaha amp sub 1-2 out to Crown 1-2 RCA input, then from Crown 1-2 cable out to passive sub drivers 1-2.

I tried playing different movies clips. I can hear the bass but not that much strong as my old 25 years Yamaha subwoofer. The drivers barely moves even with full Crown volume and Yamaha at 70%.
Crown setting: low pass, sensitivity 30hz, stereo

Is there anything I am missing?
Did you run YPAO to incorporate the Crown with the Yamaha? Why are you using the low pass setting in the Crown? 30hz isn't sensitivity sounds like perhaps a low pass setting? Sensitivity would either be 1.4V or .775V....for your avr I'd suggest the .775V setting. What do you mean by 70% on the Yamaha? It doesn't have a volume scale that works that way....

ps What boxes did you build for the Dayton drivers?

O

osasa

Audiophyte
Did you run YPAO to incorporate the Crown with the Yamaha? Why are you using the low pass setting in the Crown? 30hz isn't sensitivity sounds like perhaps a low pass setting? Sensitivity would either be 1.4V or .775V....for your avr I'd suggest the .775V setting. What do you mean by 70% on the Yamaha? It doesn't have a volume scale that works that way....

ps What boxes did you build for the Dayton drivers?
Yes, I run YPod after I connected the subs.
You are wright the sensitivity I set it to 1.4v
I used 0.75 mdf

70% Yamaha receiver volume

low pass 30hz was the crossover setting.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I run YPod after I connected the subs.
You are wright the sensitivity I set it to 1.4v
I used 0.75 mdf

70% Yamaha receiver volume
I'd stick with the .775V setting for sensitivity for now, it would yield a stronger signal for the amp for the pre-out level of your avr. Make sure you didn't enable a crossover in the Crown. You set speakers to small for the sub or were you using just LFE information?

O

osasa

Audiophyte
I'd stick with the .775V setting for sensitivity for now, it would yield a stronger signal for the amp for the pre-out level of your avr. Make sure you didn't enable a crossover in the Crown. You set speakers to small for the sub or were you using just LFE information?
I change it to .776v.
There isn't an option in the Crown to disable Crossover. Only 1 channel or 2 channel.

I choose these drivers from daytona cause some have already made subs from them and they say they are good enough.

Even the crown front light meter gives only one light.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I change it to .776v.
There isn't an option in the Crown to disable Crossover. Only 1 channel or 2 channel.

I choose these drivers from daytona cause some have already made subs from them and they say they are good enough.
You don't want crossover mode. You might want to share each menu setting in the Crown you've made. Did you make a crossover setting (the 30hz you mention) for 1 or 2 channel options? If you change the sensitivity you'd want to re-run YPAO.

The drivers are fine, was curious what boxes....sealed or ported and of what volume.

O

osasa

Audiophyte
You don't want crossover mode. You might want to share each menu setting in the Crown you've made. Did you make a crossover setting (the 30hz you mention) for 1 or 2 channel options? If you change the sensitivity you'd want to re-run YPAO.

The drivers are fine, was curious what boxes....sealed or ported and of what volume.
So I need to rerun YPAO again after I sat 30hz. I made 2 channel 30hz.

If I dont' need crossover setting should I do?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I'm not sure what you've set to 30hz....as I said, it might help if you go thru each menu choice on the Crown and tell us what you did. You would let the crossover between speakers/subs be handled by the avr in any case. The boxes you have built for the subs could matter, too....what are they particularly?

O

osasa

Audiophyte
Well I'm not sure what you've set to 30hz....as I said, it might help if you go thru each menu choice on the Crown and tell us what you did. You would let the crossover between speakers/subs be handled by the avr in any case. The boxes you have built for the subs could matter, too....what are they particularly?
Crown setting:

AMP mode - stereo
Crossover - channel 1 LP 30hz
channel 2 LP 30hz
Input sensitivity - .775V

I found the NO Crossover option for both channels :)

I put the box measurements.

Ported15.jpg

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You should be able to set each channel individually in the Crown to have no crossover enabled. A low pass of 30 Hz is going to really kill any deep bass frequencies that you might get from your newly built subs.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
After reading all this I'm glad I bought the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP. :D
Does it pay to build your own sub?

O

osasa

Audiophyte
You should be able to set each channel individually in the Crown to have no crossover enabled. A low pass of 30 Hz is going to really kill any deep bass frequencies that you might get from your newly built subs.
Yes, that's what I got after I turned of the croosover thanks for @
lovinthehd . Much deeper bass now.

I am so happy for my first build. Thank you everybody.

My build cost me around $350 for 2 subs and a second hand crown amp which I will never find some branded subwoofer with the same sound quality less than $800. :)

I will put in my youtube channel the steps for the project and will put a link here if it is permissible.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

My build cost me around $350 for 2 subs and a second hand crown amp which I will never find some branded subwoofer with the same sound quality less than $800. :)

I will put in my youtube channel the steps for the project and will put a link here if it is permissible.
Glad you got it sorted!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Were you trying to place a protective high pass filter, seeing that this is a ported design? The Crown amp doesn't really have that sort of dsp but would depend on your box tuning point. Post up your youtube link....

jinjuku

jinjuku

After reading all this I'm glad I bought the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP. :D
Does it pay to build your own sub?
It certainly can. HSU and others make great subs. My two Infinity Kappa 120w (four 12" drivers) in a 6.5 cubic foot sealed were $115 per driver, another $100 in 19mm ply, $399 for a Behringer iNuke 3000DSP. So for a bit under a $1000 I have something that easily dominates the VTF-3 MK5 at $930 (shipped).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It certainly can. HSU and others make great subs. My two Infinity Kappa 120w (four 12" drivers) in a 6.5 cubic foot sealed were $115 per driver, another $100 in 19mm ply, $399 for a Behringer iNuke 3000DSP. So for a bit under a $1000 I have something that easily dominates the VTF-3 MK5 at $930 (shipped).
Dual opposed boxes?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis