My first build thread. The Ocelot(s).

Matt34

Matt34

So someone reported this post and I got an infraction. What exactly did I say here that was insulting, other than give good feedback and advice? What's going on?
Yes and if you keep it up you're getting banned permanently. Tired of seeing your reported posts show up in my email, and not from the same people either.

T

TheStalker

Banned
Yes and if you keep it up you're getting banned permanently. Tired of seeing your reported posts show up in my email, and not from the same people either.
Don't threaten me, ban me. My Audioholics sock drawer is full.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Alright gents, it's about that time again. PICTURE TIME. :p

I really wanted to measure today but I had two problems.

1. I don't have binding posts. (Should be here in a few days)

2. Since my cabinet work needs some work the front baffle does not fit without air gaps. Normally, I'd just use my PL Construction Adhesive to fill in the gaps, but then I wouldn't be able to put in the binding posts later without doing so through a 5" hole.

To solve these problems I did the following:

1. Drilled 4 holes in the back of my cabinet and ran wire though them to the tweeter and woofer. The wire fits almost perfectly in the hole so I'm not TOO worried about the response changing a whole lot due to leakage. When I get my binding posts I'll be able to hammer them right into one set of holes and PL the other set.

2. I bought a foam weather strip and filled in the air gaps between the front baffle and the rest of the cabinet. Not too pretty, but I don't feel any leakage even at low frequencies. :cool:

I'll have pictures and measurements up in just a few minutes. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You're focused on the wrong part. :) A command was given to be banned. Not a request, a command. Who are we to disagree?
I know :p I was just trying to get some last minute information since the end is neigh.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Truth be told, I don't really mind the person being here. Seriously. If someone was physically punching me in the face, well, that would be tough to ignore. Ignoring words on a screen is easy. "Sticks and stones" has never rung more true than in the realm of the internet forum.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Moar PicturesOcelot cabinet compared to the Pioneer BS-22.

Cabinet in position awaiting gated measurement.

Closeup of weatherstrip.

Holy crap - a quarter!!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
What do you think so far?
So far I've had much fun.

since i'm in-room I have to heavily gate my measurements. Unfortunately this means right around the spot where baffle step would occur. I have to figure out a way to reasonably determine the baffle step severity.

I suppose I can use a baffle diffraction simulator and see how close the simulation is to my measurements.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'm taking a break from measurements and crossovers to enjoy a bit of jazz on my Philharmonic 2's. My uncle asked if I was ready to "upgrade" yet -- **** no. ;) :D

Enjoy your New Year's Eve, gentleman...and Adam. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Only 3 screws sure seems strange to me of course my build is way stranger. I'm with you I enjoy building things when time and weather permits.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A build with those two drivers certainly has promise of sounding good. Thanks for the work in progress photos, warts and all :D.

Just curious about the overall dimensions of the cabinet. Why is it so wide? Was it because that's what you had available in scrap MDF, or was there a design reason?

Love the screws. If any audiophile hands you a ration about them, keep a straight face and point out that an odd number of steel drywall screws has been clearly shown to work better than the non-ferrous brass screws favored by them. Just be sure to keep the total number of screws an odd number :rolleyes:.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Only 3 screws sure seems strange to me of course my build is way stranger. I'm with you I enjoy building things when time and weather permits.
If you look at the side that doesnt have a screw, it has a huge airgap. Since the baffle is on tight and the airgap side cant be pushed down, there's no reason to add a screw there.

Just curious about the overall dimensions of the cabinet. Why is it so wide? Was it because that's what you had available in scrap MDF, or was there a design reason?

Love the screws. If any audiophile hands you a ration about them, keep a straight face and point out that an odd number of steel drywall screws has been clearly shown to work better than the non-ferrous brass screws favored by them. Just be sure to keep the total number of screws an odd number :rolleyes:.
Hahahahahahahahah. I should probably get different screws for the tweeter. :p

I had different dimensions in mind but through simulation i found that cabinet had an issue with standing waves at low frequencies. I changed the dimensions a bit and that problem was solved. The width was a result of me putting in a random number to push standing waves higher in frequency. It did push the baffle step lower in frequency which might help me out a little, actually.

The lowest standing wave is at 563hz and most of them are in the Khz. This is why i didn't add too much stuffing. The denim insulation has high absorption coefficients and the standing waves are at high frequencies.

As a fun experiment I'll add more stuffing and see how the frequency response changes. If there is a significant change, I'll be sure to post it. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis