My first audio system

S

shaishav

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>After much search and comparisons I have decided to purchase the Roksan Kandy MK-I amplifier with NAD CD 521 cd player and Cadence Arita bookshelf speakers with stand from Cadence itself. &nbsp;I havent auditioned them all together but have seen them independently. &nbsp;Advise is sought on the choice.</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,  From your selections, I'm guessing that you're in the UK or Europe.  I googled the Kandy (the MIII seems to be the current version) and it looks like a decent stereo integrated amp.  You didn't mention either your listening interests nor your financial situation.  Your heading indicates that this will be your first audio system.

Why are you looking at a stereo only system?  Is your only interest in critical listening to classical and jazz?  What sort of upgradablity do you want?  Are you never going to be interested in home theater, or DvD audio as it matures?  Is this a lot of money for you or will it be relatively easy to scrap this and get something else should your needs change?

How good is your ear?  Have you listened to a lot of the types of music you like live to have a standard of comparison?  I've always said, don't pay for differences you can't hear.

What sort of room is this system going into?  Have you been educating yourself on room acoustics?  Don't forget, especially when you're critically listening, what you're actually hearing is the synergy between the speakers and the room- a hundred bucks spent on intellegently improving the room acoustics can have as big (or bigger) impact as putting another thousand into better speakers.

By the way- higher end speakers tend to be sold by higher end stores that know how to set them up and thus show better in the store.  There are less expensive speakers that could do a very decent job that you can't get a good impression of in the store as they're running them from a mid-fi receiver through a big switching system in a room that hasn't been very well acousticly set up.  So if you compare them to speakers directly connected to twenty thousand bucks worth of separates in a room put together by a store that does custom installations, you can't really make a good decision.  I had that experience comparing CSW Towers in their low end showroom, and then driving to a high end audio store and listening to the same material on Paradigm Reference Studio 80's through the aforementioned separates in a really great room.  It was no surprise that the Paradigms sounded more open and smoother in the mid-high ranges, but the interesting thing was they weren't hugely better, indicating that the Towers might be a very good value if properly set up.  Six years later, I got them, and am amazed at the musicality of them.. even when I haven't upgrading my amplifier yet.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Excellent advice, Ed. But you have ignored the Awful Truth:

No matter what you buy, you will soon want something &quot;better&quot;.

It's just the nature of the disease. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Don't I know it.  I have found that shopping is 90% of the fun, so I tend to shop a lot before I buy- currently a new receiver, though that new Yamaha 2400 has so much to offer it seems to take the fun right out of comparing  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Hi EdR

Thanks for the detailed reply. &nbsp;I am pleased to answer some issues you have raised:

a.I am in India and not the UK but British equipment has always been the flavour in the local market.

b.Yes the system is expensive but i felt that i may buy a system once which will last me long enough specially when compared to the cheaper component systems which need to be changed almost every 5 years.

c.My listening interests include classical instrumental, pop and rock. &nbsp;I dont have a very keen ear to music but can surely differentiate between colored sound and good clean natural sound (which formed the basis for my speaker selection)

d. I have heard the speakers in different showrooms as well as one which is not accoustically treated and found the sound quality fairly consistent and hence selected them. &nbsp;I still have to work on the improvements of my room which is about 12 feet X 12 feet. &nbsp;I guess i will be able to do this only after i install the system.

e.I would like to believe that a good basic audio system is what one needs to enjoy clean music. &nbsp;Home theatres should be independent.....:)-) dont mean to sound snooty here but i hate multifunction devices)

somewhere from your reply i get an impression that my selections are rather hi end for my first system but would still appreciate your views further on the same. &nbsp;If you could throw some light on interconnects and cables please do as i presently intend to use Ven Dan Hulls for the same.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis