My first attempt - “home theater”

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
although, I don’t have a dedicated home theater/man cave, I built this set-up in our first floor open-concept living room attached to the kitchen which leads to the dining room. The entire first floor is about 1000sq foot with 8 foot ceiling.

I finally sold my Bose v20 system for $500 which lead me to build a better video/audio gear.

So here’s my set-up I collected within a month:

VIDEO:
Sony XBR-75X900E LED TV ($1999 refurbished unit from Amazon)

Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player ($160 new from Amazon)

5.2 SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM
Marantz SR6012 AVR ($499 new from Amazon)

Crown XLS2502 Two-channel amplifier – powers the Martin Logan Source Speakers ($450 new from Crutchfield)

Atlantic Technology 642e SB subwoofers (mint $500/pair from facebook marketplace)

Martin Logan Source speakers (mint $800/pair from facebook marketplace)

Polk Audio S35 center channel speaker ($210 refurbished from Polk)

Polk Audio S10 rear channel speakers ($139 refurbished from Polk)

SAFETY COMPONENTS:
Aircom T8 cooling fan system ($99 from amazon)

APC H15 power conditioner ($200 from amazon)

SMART Components:
Echo Dot ($40 from Amazon)

Logitech Harmony Hub ($71 from Amazon)

Monoprice 4K HDMI cables, and Mediabridge speaker/sub cables, and etc = $100

Total $5267 - $500 (sold my Bose V20 5.1 sound system)

$4767 TOTAL COST

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats on your new system! I wish I had gone to a 75in display like you instead of 65in. Maybe in a few years I will. :)

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
Thank you!!!

Yeah, I actually ordered 65” online. But after 2 days, I changed my mind & went with the 75”. It was a tough decision lol.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
1st world problems, right? LOL Well if Seattle is granted an NHL team it would get me off the fence and out looking at 75in displays... :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Holy Smokes! Looks very impressive. Congrats to you. Looks like you have done your homework and then some! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
Thank you Phil!

I was so set to get a 65” LG OLED actually. But after months of researching & several Best Buy in person comparisons, I went with 75” Sony X900E and I love my decision.
Their PQ difference is minimal to me & my wife........but the size difference is huge and more immersive with Sony.

And all the gears I’ve also learned from researching at several forums :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! Did you really get a Marantz SR-6012 for $499 or was that a typo (currently at $1499)?

Great deal on a pair of Martin Logan Source Electrostats for only $800! Never heard of Facebook marketplace!

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I also recently just found out about FB market place. Then I saw those pair of Marin Logans being sold for $900 slightly used since the guy is moving. So I drove almost 2 hours to get to NH and picked them up for $800 ;)

That actually led to me getting rid of my Bose v20 system....and started buying gears lol.

Then this guy at fb marketplace was selling his Atlantic technology sub for $350. Then I found out he has a pair......so I got them for $500 :)
They’re about $2400/pair brand new....so they’re a steal too.

About the Marantz SR6012....yes it’s only $499. I tried buying a refurbished unit from amazon for $499 but they ended up running out of stock and system error. A little complaining to customer service and they sent me a brand new unit instead :)

Got lucky with those 3 purchases

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you Phil!

I was so set to get a 65” LG OLED actually. But after months of researching & several Best Buy in person comparisons, I went with 75” Sony X900E and I love my decision.
Their PQ difference is minimal to me & my wife........but the size difference is huge and more immersive with Sony.

And all the gears I’ve also learned from researching at several forums :)
Sounds like lady luck is smiling down on you my friend. Might be a good time to buy a lotto ticket. You never know, you might win enough to share with all of us.....LOL!!!!!:):):cool::):) No really, congrats on the good deals.

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I also recently just found out about FB market place. Then I saw those pair of Marin Logans being sold for $900 slightly used since the guy is moving. So I drove almost 2 hours to get to NH and picked them up for $800 ;)

That actually led to me getting rid of my Bose v20 system....and started buying gears lol.

Then this guy at fb marketplace was selling his Atlantic technology sub for $350. Then I found out he has a pair......so I got them for $500 :)
They’re about $2400/pair brand new....so they’re a steal too.

About the Marantz SR6012....yes it’s only $499. I tried buying a refurbished unit from amazon for $499 but they ended up running out of stock and system error. A little complaining to customer service and they sent me a brand new unit instead :)

Got lucky with those 3 purchases
I have never had the good fortune to hear anything from Atlanta Technology, but by reputation they make quality products! IIRC they believe in sealed subs which can save you some room integration problems (though they might not have the deepest impact for HT).
Nice gear all around.
My area doesn't support such good deals, they tend to get picked clean as soon as they appear!

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
^^^

thanks!

Yeah, I was prowling fb marketplace & craigslist day & night for the past 2 months lol. But yeah being lucky and right place at the right time plays a part.

I was planning to just have 1 sub.

I bought a refurbished Martin Logan dynamo 500 and tried it. It was weak, and wanted to return it to get the 700. The seller said get another dynamo 500 and have a pair and it will be good.

But when I met this guy selling Atlantic technology, and found out he has 2, I grabbed the opportunity esp for only $500/pair.

Although, I can only compare it to a dynamo 500, they’re clearly Day & night difference. Being not as deep bass compared to HSU, Velodyne, etc......I think, I’ll be fine esp coming from the Bose bass (v20 system) for the past 8 yrs lol. In addition, with my $500, I won’t even be able to buy a single sub from those companies.

Having a pair of these Atlantic technology is way good enough for me :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
^^^

thanks!

Yeah, I was prowling fb marketplace & craigslist day & night for the past 2 months lol. But yeah being lucky and right place at the right time plays a part.

I was planning to just have 1 sub.

I bought a refurbished Martin Logan dynamo 500 and tried it. It was weak, and wanted to return it to get the 700. The seller said get another dynamo 500 and have a pair and it will be good.

But when I met this guy selling Atlantic technology, and found out he has 2, I grabbed the opportunity esp for only $500/pair.

Although, I can only compare it to a dynamo 500, they’re clearly Day & night difference. Being not as deep bass compared to HSU, Velodyne, etc......I think, I’ll be fine esp coming from the Bose bass (v20 system) for the past 8 yrs lol. In addition, with my $500, I won’t even be able to buy a single sub from those companies.

Having a pair of these Atlantic technology is way good enough for me :)
Dual matching subs for $500 of decent quality is still a good thing. +/- 3dB 25-300Hz with a 107dB output into 2500 cuft per it's spec sheet. Beats hell out a Bose bass module :) or even the Dynamos (well, the X1500 or their dual opposed at a big discount can be okay). You did well with several purchases, score!

Now, how did you choose sub location and do your integration?

Do I remember correctly that Outlaw Audio is a sister brand to Atlantic Technology?

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
Thank you!

Yes, from what I’ve read thru forums, they are sister company of outlaw audio.

Regarding sub placement, unfortunately, I was limited to placing them where I placed them since wife will kill me if I place them all over our living room.

I didn’t do any crawl test since I can’t put the subs to a proper location anyway :(

I was just limited to what the Audyssey xt32 auto calibration gave me, even if that helps.

Plus I thought, having a pair opposed to having a single sub will “help” a bit with integration.

Crossovers: all speakers are set to 80 hz except the subs LFE 120hz.

Martin Logan front channels were set to “small”

My biggest question is, “amp assign”. I have a 5.2 sound system......where the Martin Logans and the subs have their own amplifiers. The Martin logan fronts are also powered by the crown amplifier.

For “amp assign”.....I chose 5.1 (bi-amp) + zone 2 , even though I’m only powering the center and surround rear speakers by the Marantz AVR.

Other choices were:
-7.1 + front b
-11.1 ch
-9.1 ch
-7.1 + zone 2
-7.1 ch (bi-amp)

Did I choose the correct “amp assign” setting”?

Or it really won’t matter with my set up?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
WAF can indeed limit sub placement options ;) Hopefully they work well enough there. Dual can help smooth room modes to your benefit, tho. You didn't really set the sub to 120, your speakers/subs are crossed at 80hz, you're simply limiting the LPF of LFE to 120hz for content with the LFE, or .1, channel content (but is the normal setting).

With your amp setup I don't think the amp assign setting matters, altho the bi-amp thing in general I wouldn't bother with; I left mine in the 9.1 position, but did have a 9.1 setup for a bit. Curious tho as to how you connected the powered portion of your MLs?

Enjoy!

A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
Yeah wife, didn’t expect we’ll get all these gears!!!
She’s so used to with the small bose v20 sound system and small landscape they occupy.

I was originally planning to just have the Martin Logan speakers in replacement of the Bose.

So I originally just bought Marantz nr1608 and crown xls1502 amp to run the Martin Logans.
But I wasn’t content w/ just playing stereo set up....and wife was complaining about not having the “surround” sound.
Plus we barely can hear the dialog.
In addition the crown 1502, even tho it’s rated at 525w x 2 at 4 ohms.....it feels like that it’s not enough juice for the electrostats!

So I upgraded to crown xls2502, which is 775w x 2 at 4 ohms. I’m hoping it gives enough juice.
And ending up getting subs, center, and surround.

But our old 55” Sony xbrh929 looked outdated and small compared to my new & bigger audio gear ....so I sold my kidney and grabbed the 75” Sony unit lol.

How did I connect the powered portion of the MLS? I didn’t do anything. They’re built-in, and automatically runs the 8” woofers. I know they’re working since I can hear & feel the woofers moving & producing sound.
Not sure if I answered your question correctly?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Curious tho as to how you connected the powered portion of your MLs?
Crown XLS2502 Two-channel amplifier – powers the Martin Logan Source Speakers ($450 new from Crutchfield)
Some Martin Logan Electrostats have an amp built into the bass module, but the source has pretty much normal banana-plug connections. Of course, it does plug in for the E'stat part.
:)

Last edited:
A

Antonio Grajo

Audioholic Intern
^^^ Yes, just normal banana plug connections at the back

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah wife, didn’t expect we’ll get all these gears!!!
She’s so used to with the small bose v20 sound system and small landscape they occupy.

I was originally planning to just have the Martin Logan speakers in replacement of the Bose.

So I originally just bought Marantz nr1608 and crown xls1502 amp to run the Martin Logans.
But I wasn’t content w/ just playing stereo set up....and wife was complaining about not having the “surround” sound.
Plus we barely can hear the dialog.
In addition the crown 1502, even tho it’s rated at 525w x 2 at 4 ohms.....it feels like that it’s not enough juice for the electrostats!

So I upgraded to crown xls2502, which is 775w x 2 at 4 ohms. I’m hoping it gives enough juice.
And ending up getting subs, center, and surround.

But our old 55” Sony xbrh929 looked outdated and small compared to my new & bigger audio gear ....so I sold my kidney and grabbed the 75” Sony unit lol.

How did I connect the powered portion of the MLS? I didn’t do anything. They’re built-in, and automatically runs the 8” woofers. I know they’re working since I can hear & feel the woofers moving & producing sound.
Not sure if I answered your question correctly?
You weren't getting enough juice with the amps set to max gain with the 1502? Just how loud do you like it? :) I'm familiar with the 1502, have four 1500s.

Yes, was wondering if the speakers had a separate bass module you were connecting to the sub pre-out or not...seems it's simply built in to the internal circuitry when you make a normal speaker connection?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis