My experience with Yamaha Tech "support"

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Steele

Sirs,

A couple of years ago, I purchased a YST-800 from Etronics.com. After a power outage, the subwoofer failed. I contacted Yamaha and I was told you do not HONOR your warranty if the product is purchased from an unauthorized dealer. I was also told that Etronics is an unauthorized dealer. Very classy of you.

I loved the YST-800 subwoofer though, and figured this must be a fluke. So I purchased another.

It has failed as well.

Here is why I am writing you. Do you know what is happening with these subs and how I can fix them?

I was next to the sub when the power came on today. It is on a surge protector. It sounded like something was powering up, then I heard a noise like a match being struck. My stomach sank, and I turned on the system and sure enough, the sub exhibits the same symptoms as the previous one: It comes on, the green led is glowing, but it makes no noise.

Surely this is a known problem. I can't have been the only unlucky person to get two bad ones.

I own a Yamaha 2300 system and an older HTR-5440 which I use in my master bedroom. (And two fried YST-800 Subs) I am a fairly well-invested and loyal Yamaha customer, even if I do not buy from the sources you prefer.

I'd appreciate a helpful response.

Thank you,

Tom Steele
http://www.hawkandtom.com

Y

YECSupport

We don't read the e-mails, and we don't care about our customers!

To: <tom_steele@somewhere.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: Speaker & Speaker Systems

Tom,

Items purchased from Etronics are not covered under our warranty policy and cannot be repaired under warranty. Our policy is not unusual and there are several top receiver manufacturers out there that have the same warranty policy as we do. ( Denon, Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Marantz and Bose.) Yamaha sells its Home Audio products only through a network of high quality, specially authorized dealers were quality service can be assured.

If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me.

Ken

T

Tom Steele

Isn't this fun?

Hi Ken,

I am already aware of your "authorized dealer" policy. Sounds more like price-fixing to me, but luckily for your company, I'm not a congressman and you don't have to worry about any inquiries anytime soon. I have to ask, "How could the company I bought the sub from make any difference into the BUILD QUALITY of your product?" Don't worry, its just a rhetorical question.

Regardless, my bitter opinion of your company not standing behind the products it builds aside, you didn't answer my questions.

I will repeat them here:

------------
"I was next to the sub when the power came on today. It is on a surge protector. It sounded like something was powering up, then I heard a noise like a match being struck. My stomach sank, and I turned on the system and sure enough, the sub exhibits the same symptoms as the previous one: It comes on, the green led is glowing, but it makes no noise.

Do you know what is happening with these subs and how I can fix them?

Surely this is a known problem. I can't have been the only unlucky person to get two bad ones."
------------

I realize you may consider the tone of my e-mail to be less than friendly. But please try to look at it from my position. I've had TWO of your flagship subwoofers fail in identical ways now. Even if you DID cover them under warranty, I'd still have to foot the bill for shipping and be without the sub for the time period it took to repair them.

Here's where I stand with your company right now. I already knew you weren't going to honor your warranty. I wasn't asking for you to do so. You have taken several days to respond to me. You can still salvage your reputation with me by offering something resembling useful information about my problem. If you choose to endlessly repeat what is given to the customer support reps in the official company notebook then I certainly will become a former Yamaha customer. I'll also do everything in my power to dissuade as many people as humanly possible from becoming Yamaha customers in as many ways as possible.

I'd PREFER some help with the problem.

Sincerely

Tom Steele
http://www.hawkandtom.com

T

Tom Steele

Yamaha Reply #2

I would not be able to tell you what is internally wrong with your subwoofer over E-Mails. If there was a power problem it may have affected the internal amp inside the sub woofer, it also may have reset some settings in the receiver causing the LFE signals to not be sent out to the sub. You can always try to plug the sub into you left or right pre outs on the receiver and see if the sub outputs any sound. If it does not then you would need to have a serivce tech take a look at it.

We are not able to guarantee the quaility of products purchased from unauthorized dealers. They could be returned items, repacked items or defective. If you have anymore questions you can call me directly @ 1-800-292-2982.

Sincerely
Ken

T

Tom Steele

mitch57 said:
Well... Did you call him?
Mitch,

I have not. My time has been devoted to selling my old house and searching for subwoofers on the internet, and locally in stores.

Personally I don't know why I need to call him. I can write anything that he needs to ask in e-mail, but I will try to call him next week when I have more time.

-Tom Steele

U

Unregistered

Have you ever thought about complaining about Etronics.com?

Seems like all your anger has been directed against Yamaha, while it actually is Etronics.com that has been acting dishonestly and hiding the fact that they are not an authorized Yamaha dealer; nor are they taking care of service of the product they have sold you.

It was Etronics.com that took your $1200, and most probably they bought the products from an illegimate source since Yamaha obviously did not sell it to them directly (being non-authorized).

Rightfully Yamaha staff could have been more helpful and corteous in actually directing you to a solution of your problem (like arranging to send you a mail reply from their technical support), even though they could not extend warranty privileges due to the fact that you chose to buy from a non-authorized distributor.

On the other hand, dealing and wheeling by non-authorized distributors really causes havoc for honest dealers with honest service policies, because it is excactly by cutting service duties dishonest dealers like Etronics.com are able to cut their prices below those of the authorized dealers that have to follow the rules and provide proper service.

If I were you, I would always made sure that the dealer of any electronic product I buy indeed is authorized by the manufacturer of the product. Then you are of course free to choose the lowest price you can find among such authorized dealers.

If you are not prepared to follow such a simple rule, you deserve what you get. And, when bad things happen to you, do not forget to reserve at least a part of your anger and frustration towards the dishonest dealer that sold you the faulty product ;-)

I am not defending Yamaha for the way they treated you (I think they should have handled the situation far better), even if I also own a YST-800, Yamaha receiver and Yamaha speakers that were all bought at reasonable prices through authorized dealers, if not at rock-bottom prices from dubious outfits.

T

Tom Steele

Unregistered said:
Seems like all your anger has been directed against Yamaha, while it actually is Etronics.com that has been acting dishonestly and hiding the fact that they are not an authorized Yamaha dealer; nor are they taking care of service of the product they have sold you.

It was Etronics.com that took your $1200, and most probably they bought the products from an illegimate source since Yamaha obviously did not sell it to them directly (being non-authorized).
Ok, here's my take on that:

First, Etronics didn't hide anything. I never even knew there was such a thing as authorized or unauthorized dealers until my first sub failed. It is a YAMAHA subwoofer. They MADE it. They won't stand behind it.

If I buy a Ford Mustang, USED from a Chevy dealer, within the factory warranty I am still covered. Ford made it, someone else drove it and someone else resold it, but if it is within 3 years/36k miles they will stand behind what they built.

If Etronics is knowingly buying "bad subs" then I'd have a beef with them for sure, but I'd still have a beef with Yamaha for allowing them on the market in the first place.

Lets face it, if you are manufacturing the subs, and you do a quality test and one fails, it has to be one of three things:

Cabinet leak, cone/driver or electronics. Seems to me you would replace whichever part was bad and then retest and sell it. Not dump the failed piece on the gray market.

Rightfully Yamaha staff could have been more helpful and corteous in actually directing you to a solution of your problem (like arranging to send you a mail reply from their technical support), even though they could not extend warranty privileges due to the fact that you chose to buy from a non-authorized distributor.
I agree with this, but would go a step further. I've had TWO units fail in identical ways. I would think a GOOD COMPANY would want to look into this. Unless they already know the problem and don't want to have to fix it. Again, using the car analogy, manufacturers frequently do recalls to fix known problems on cars because it is the right thing to do. Yamaha is playing a game of "you didn't follow our strict rules" instead of a game of "let's try to make the customer happy so he will remain a customer in the future."

On the other hand, dealing and wheeling by non-authorized distributors really causes havoc for honest dealers with honest service policies, because it is excactly by cutting service duties dishonest dealers like Etronics.com are able to cut their prices below those of the authorized dealers that have to follow the rules and provide proper service.
You're gonna have to explain that to me. What is proper service? I would assume that would involve sending it back to the manufacturer? The local authorized dealer (that doesn't carry YST-800's) says they would have to send it off to be fixed. So what are they doing that adds value?

If I were you, I would always made sure that the dealer of any electronic product I buy indeed is authorized by the manufacturer of the product. Then you are of course free to choose the lowest price you can find among such authorized dealers.

If you are not prepared to follow such a simple rule, you deserve what you get.
Since you presume to tell me what to do, I'll offer similar unasked for advice to you...

If I were you, I'd demand that manufacturers make good quality products. If they didn't, then instead of looking for ways to vindicate the manfuacturer and blame the consumer, I would be outraged at the manufacturer for building a substandard product and not backing it up. Then, I wouldn't buy from them anymore and I'd suggest others choose products that are backed up by the manufacturer.

If you fail to follow such a simple rule, you deserve what you get: Crappy products from manufacturers that HIDE BEHIND price-fixing "authorized-dealer" scams instead of STANDING BEHIND their product.

And, when bad things happen to you, do not forget to reserve at least a part of your anger and frustration towards the dishonest dealer that sold you the faulty product ;-)
I guess I don't see the dishonest part. Etronics never lied to me. I didn't even know that there were such things as authorized and un-authorized dealers until my first sub failed and Yamaha told me they weren't going to warranty their subwoofer.

I am not defending Yamaha for the way they treated you (I think they should have handled the situation far better), even if I also own a YST-800, Yamaha receiver and Yamaha speakers that were all bought at reasonable prices through authorized dealers, if not at rock-bottom prices from dubious outfits.
I don't understand - do you own those items? Good luck with your sub if you do. Warranty or not, it will be a pain in the butt if it fails! It would be less likely to fail if the audio enthusiast community demanded excellence instead of pardoning poor quality from manufacturers.

-Tom Steele

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Etronics is not an authorized dealer. This is not Yamaha's fault. Period. It's your fault, for not purchasing from an authorized Yamaha dealer.

T

Tom Steele

I'm still amazed at some people...

Rÿche 1 said:
Etronics is not an authorized dealer. This is not Yamaha's fault. Period. It's your fault, for not purchasing from an authorized Yamaha dealer.
You sir, are a moron.

I'll do the short version.

I'd never heard of anything like "authorized dealers" before my first Yamaha YST-800 subwoofer failed. I don't know of other industries that do this crap.

Certainly car manufacturers don't run scams like that. You can buy a Whirlpool/GE/Frigidaire/etc.. stove or refrigerator from anyone that sells them and the warranty card will be good. You can buy wireless phones from anywhere and the warranty card will be good. My Brother Printer warranty is still honored no matter who I bought it from. Get the idea?

Here are the SIMPLE facts:

Yamaha made it. They didn't stand behind it. They didn't even offer to HELP me, much less honor the warranty. That is something you appear not to be able to comprehend in the previous posts. My complaint wasn't originally about, or even mostly about, them not honoring the warranty. It was the total lack of support or help they offered me when I asked for it.

But in your world it is my fault?

You are partially right, though. It is my fault for purchasing YAMAHA equipment after I learned of their authorized dealer price-fixing scheme.

I have rectified the situation. I'll never purchase YAMAHA equipment again.

-Tom Steele

U

Unregistered

I agree

Tom I think I agree with you after reading both sides. However these companies do warn do not buy this equipment, it may not be up to par.I take issue with this policy, IF the etailers specifically state the items are BRAND NEW IN BOX. Then why in heck should Yamaha or any other company not honor that? Total price fixing, I am with you. PS I purchased a Pioneer brand new online and so far so good. At least these guys warranty the stuff personally for a year in exchange for the cheap price.

T

Tom Steele

Good points!

Unregistered said:
Tom I think I agree with you after reading both sides. However these companies do warn do not buy this equipment, it may not be up to par.I take issue with this policy, IF the etailers specifically state the items are BRAND NEW IN BOX. Then why in heck should Yamaha or any other company not honor that? Total price fixing, I am with you. PS I purchased a Pioneer brand new online and so far so good. At least these guys warranty the stuff personally for a year in exchange for the cheap price.
You do have a point, I have seen some E-tailers that say, "We are not an authorized dealer for this product, but we will honor the warranty ourselves." I'd worry about that though, from what I've seen of many of the E-tailers. No question that many of these guys are operating on slim margins out of a rented warehouse and might disappear at any moment.

That said, with sites like MySimon and E-pinions, you can weed out the worst and go with companies that have been in business for a while. In my opinion, it just shouldn't make any difference WHO you buy a sealed-box, brand-new piece of equipment from. If it is in the original box from the manufacturer, why should it matter who you bought it from?

And yes, I would blame Etronics at least partially if I thought they were selling defective or B-stock equipment (I'd still blame Yamaha for unloading that stuff on the gray market though), but E-tronic's prices are in line with all the other web merchants, give or take a few bucks and both subs looked to be in OEM, never-before opened packaging to my careful inspection.

They have serial #'s, warranty cards, manuals and wiring. I completely believe they are new Yamaha products.

Now I have no idea where Etronics buys them from. Nor do I have any idea where the rest of the online e-tailing community buys them from.

Here's a question for the Yamaha defenders out there: WHERE DO these e-tailers get their Yamaha equipment from? Yamaha isn't saying. If Yamaha truly cared about you and me as customers, don't you think they would aggressively try to stop these dealers from doing business?

Here's my guess. I suspect it isn't even LEGAL for Yamaha to stop them from doing business because then they would definitely be price-fixing. This way they skirt the issue because there are dealers selling competitively, but you lose the warranty if you insist on competitive pricing.

It is a scam.

Still, I'd also like to point out, for the folks who seem to skip over this when they choose to blast me: I DIDN'T ASK THEM TO HONOR THE WARRANTY. I asked for HELP WITH MY PROBLEM.

Yamaha showed that their customer support is unconcerned with helping me, all they are doing is denying culpability.

-Tom Steele

T

Tom Steele

Depends on how you measure "moronics"

Rÿche 1 said:
Actually, you're the moron for purchasing from an unauthorized dealer.
Well, considering the following, I disagree.

So far I figure I have purchased $10,000+ in audio equipment and other electronics (like digital cameras and such) over the internet from unauthorized dealers.

With savings in the range of 15-20% I have saved in the neighborhood of $1,500-$2,000.

Even after eating the two Yamaha subs, I'm still in positive savings territory.

And now that I'm no longer buying Yamaha equipment, my failure rate should drop back down to the extremely low percentage that it has been up to now, and I should see my savings start to mount again.

-Tom Steele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis