My Experience with RBH's SV-831R

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
By the way is there a company and a pair of speakers that you don't own or have owned? I swear every time I post on a new purchase you have owned a pair every time you jump into the thread! :D
I have checked out most of the speakers that seem to be very good values for their pricing up to a certain price level.
At the price level of the RBH's, I got in on them only because the T1's had already been discontinued and I think they found parts to put together another pair so I got a great deal on it!
I managed to get in on the Focal beryllium experience via pro audio gear which I believe represents a significant price advantage since they don't maintain the types of showrooms (and associated profit margins) that the guys who sell the Focal Utopias and Electras do! ProAudio is more about utility/competitive business and home audio (especially) at the upper levels is more about boutique and presentation! Also, the Focals are a good example of how you can pay a lot more for some unique design in the cabinet construction for home audio. Of course that cuts both ways as many pro audio speakers are very utilitarian and even down right ugly when considered as "furniture" in your home.
At he same time, some amazing deals are available in the Home Audio arena. Anything Dennis Murphy sells is a deal, and you are well aware of the incredible values of speakers like the JBL series 5, and I suspect you got a pretty good price for your new speakers as well!
I have found that once you reach a certain level (among the better candidates from that level), the differences between speakers get more obscure. They certainly sound different, but deciding which is better is a moving target, and it seems to depend more on the specific section of music as to when one might sound better than the other! Then, other times they sound different, but both sound "right" and I have no preference. Until I hear a speaker with an obvious, discernable improvement over these speakers, I would consider any of them reasonable final (as in ultimate) speakers. Although I have not specifically heard your speakers, I am pretty confident they would belong in this category. I don't think you can bring a different pair of speakers home and A-B them (blind) to conclude they are appreciably better than your RBH's (unless subjective bias is at play).
The speaker I would most like to hear (but can't justify the cost/size/ugly :D ) is the JBL M2!
Next would be Gene's Status Acoustic setup because not only are they some of the most expensive speakers from a reliable manufacturer of good products, but Gene has lots of experience with tuning/adjusting/treating and access to experts to assist (if memory serves, I think Shane came down to help him set it up ... and I believe he has also had room treatment consultant/experts involved)!

PS - I have to confess to being one of the people who lumps ribbons with AMT, but my understanding is that a good AMT has the same kind of extension/clarity/detail/crispness as a ribbon. The biggest difference I am aware of is that there don't seem to be many very many examples of poor ribbons (although I am sure they are out there), while poor AMT's are not that hard to come by - that is why I emphasize good AMT's.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have checked out most of the speakers that seem to be very good values for their pricing up to a certain price level.
At the price level of the RBH's, I got in on them only because the T1's had already been discontinued and I think they found parts to put together another pair so I got a great deal on it!
I managed to get in on the Focal beryllium experience via pro audio gear which I believe represents a significant price advantage since they don't maintain the types of showrooms (and associated profit margins) that the guys who sell the Focal Utopias and Electras do! ProAudio is more about utility/competitive business and home audio (especially) at the upper levels is more about boutique and presentation! Also, the Focals are a good example of how you can pay a lot more for some unique design in the cabinet construction for home audio. Of course that cuts both ways as many pro audio speakers are very utilitarian and even down right ugly when considered as "furniture" in your home.
I have found that once you reach a certain level (among the better candidates from that level), the differences between speakers get more obscure. They certainly sound different, but deciding which is better is a moving target, and it seems to depend more on the specific section of music as to when one might sound better than the other! Than, other times they sound different, but both sound "right" and I have no preference. Until I hear a speaker with a discernable improvement over these speakers, I would consider any of them a reasonable final (as in ultimate) speakers. Although I have not specifically heard your speakers, I am pretty confident they would belong in this category. I don't think you can bring a different pair of speakers home and A-B them (blind) to conclude they are appreciably better than your RBH's (unless subjective bias is at play).
The speaker I would most like to hear (but can't justify the cost/size/ugly :D ) is the JBL M2!
Next would be Gene's Status Acoustic setup because not only are they some of the most expensive speakers from a reliable manufacturer of good products, but Gene has lots of experience with tuning/adjusting/treating and access to experts to assist (if memory serves, I think Shane came down to help him set it up ... and I believe he has also had room treatment consultant/experts involved)!

PS - I have to confess to being one of the people who lumps ribbons with AMT, but my understanding is that a good AMT has the same kind of extension/clarity/detail/crispness as a ribbon. The biggest difference I am aware of is that there don't seem to be many very many examples of poor ribbons (although I am sure they are out there), while poor AMT's are not that hard to come by - that is why I emphasize good AMT's.
Very well put Kew! I'll admit the reason I'm drooling and scheming all over these is a whole lot more about the cool factor of having big huge beautiful speakers than it is about any feelings of lacking in sound quality. I would expect them to maybe be different, but mostly lateral in that regard. But man oh man would they look nice in my living room flanking my tv...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Very well put Kew! I'll admit the reason I'm drooling and scheming all over these is a whole lot more about the cool factor of having big huge beautiful speakers than it is about any feelings of lacking in sound quality. I would expect them to maybe be different, but mostly lateral in that regard. But man oh man would they look nice in my living room flanking my tv...
Yeah, the RBH's would probably have your Ascends for lunch in a high school auditorium (certainly the three mids would have a real advantage, I don't know how loud the AMT can go for max SPL), but at normal listening levels in a typical residence, I don't think you will hear much difference blind; however, it is always nice to know that those RBH's aren't even breaking a sweat where you might actually work yours in a more spirited listening session!
Also, the sheer size of the RBH's have a great "Sh!t, this guy is insane" factor! They are visually intimidating speakers and that is great fun!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, the RBH's would probably have your Ascends for lunch in a high school auditorium (certainly the three mids would have a real advantage, I don't know how loud the AMT can go for max SPL), but at normal listening levels in a typical residence, I don't think you will hear much difference blind; however, it is always nice to know that those RBH's aren't even breaking a sweat where you might actually work yours in a more spirited listening session!
Also, the sheer size of the RBH's have a great "Sh!t, this guy is insane" factor! They are visually intimidating speakers and that is great fun!
That's why I love massive headroom all the sound I want and my speakers and subs aren't even breaking a sweat which means my amps aren't being pushed or clipping. Which means I love every thing I hear with no effort at all with equipment that will last me a mighty long time. Beam me up.Scotty ;)

I'm not gonna gush just had another listen session with these beauties

I can't stop listening I love them my brain and ears feel so good I'm going to sleep so good now.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's why I love massive headroom all the sound I want and my speakers and subs aren't even breaking a sweat which means my amps aren't being pushed or clipping. Which means I love every thing I hear with no effort at all with equipment that will last me a mighty long time. Beam me up.Scotty ;)

I'm not gonna gush just had another listen session with these beauties

I can't stop listening I love them my brain and ears feel so good I'm going to sleep so good now.
No you're not... you're still listening or watching another movie, aren't you! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am starting to not like you, Dan. You just want me to change out my whole speaker/sub setup instead of more reasonable use of the funds. Damn you.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am starting to not like you, Dan. You just want me to change out my whole speaker/sub setup instead of more reasonable use of the funds. Damn you.
Just build yourself a Devastator, Lovin', and you'll be ok. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just build yourself a Devastator, Lovin', and you'll be ok. ;)
LOL I think I got the bottom end covered enuf :) It's those damn mains and surrounds from RBH (or Salk) that just make me feel like spending some money.....but really not that much, definitely more a fantasy :). Building massive subs isn't all that hard with a bit of commitment :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Actually I'm the one whose jealous of cus you can just build the whole dang thing Lovin! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just had started to listen to some Ben Harper...so some nice bottom to start but so much more.....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
LOL I think I got the bottom end covered enuf :) It's those damn mains and surrounds from RBH (or Salk) that just make me feel like spending some money.....but really not that much, definitely more a fantasy :). Building massive subs isn't all that hard with a bit of commitment :)
I'm not going to lie when that money left my account they're was some anxiety that what have I done type. After the last 4 days with them that anxiety is GOOONE. Best dang money I've spent in a long time

And I'm smiling as I'm picking up OT at work :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Do it! Just do it! You know you want to!!!! :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I feel ya. ;)
Pogre got me looking hard at Subs... other than my fantasy TL job. When I started looking and asking around, everybody was all up in my face sayin', "You must build a Dev!" ;)
The good thing is that I've got a lot more familiar with the Pro Driver scene... And those Devastators are no joke!...
But I still don't think they are right for what I want.
(Though to be fair, I would like to experience a set of those letting loose in a room. That video I linked was two 21" Eminence NSW 6021s iirc. Way more output than I need!)
I do want something that will up the game at 15Hz over what the X-13s can do. If I could get F3 there around 105-110dB and a 2nd order slope, I'd be fine. :p o_O :cool:

Reading about the Devastator builds has been fun, though. Same guy that shot that curtain vid had one of the wall anchors holding an acoustic panel straight up EJECT itself from the wall! He also showed a picture of the aftermath of those two Beast Mode Devs and all the cr@p that came down from his drop ceiling.
(He built them for kicks at the start of the Pandemic cause he had nothing else to do. Sold them off within a very short time.)

Soon... I'll be figuring mine out.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I feel ya. ;)
Pogre got me looking hard at Subs... other than my fantasy TL job. When I started looking and asking around, everybody was all up in my face sayin', "You must build a Dev!" ;)
The good thing is that I've got a lot more familiar with the Pro Driver scene... And those Devastators are no joke!...
But I still don't think they are right for what I want.
(Though to be fair, I would like to experience a set of those letting loose in a room. That video I linked was two 21" Eminence NSW 6021s iirc. Way more output than I need!)
I do want something that will up the game at 15Hz over what the X-13s can do. If I could get F3 there around 105-110dB and a 2nd order slope, I'd be fine. :p o_O :cool:

Reading about the Devastator builds has been fun, though. Same guy that shot that curtain vid had one of the wall anchors holding an acoustic panel straight up EJECT itself from the wall! He also showed a picture of the aftermath of those two Beast Mode Devs and all the cr@p that came down from his drop ceiling.
(He built them for kicks at the start of the Pandemic cause he had nothing else to do. Sold them off within a very short time.)

Soon... I'll be figuring mine out.
So what are you listening to that makes you think "I need more output at 15 Hz"?
Is this home theater or do you actually have music that has appreciable content that low.
I know I'm not as much of a basshead as some of the guys around here, but I've never thought twice about replacing the x-13s. Of course, I don't listen to much electronica or synthetic instruments that put out that kind of low frequency! You've got me wondering if I'm missing out on something!
Now, TL is something I can get on board with!
I wonder if TLS guy can come up with a diy transmission line design that could give you your "15 hz fix" as well!?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not going to lie when that money left my account they're was some anxiety that what have I done type. After the last 4 days with them that anxiety is GOOONE. Best dang money I've spent in a long time

And I'm smiling as I'm picking up OT at work :D
Now it's time to find some good movies and music to enjoy. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I love my JBL's I love my JBL'S!
RBH rules! o_O:oops:;):p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So what are you listening to that makes you think "I need more output at 15 Hz"?
Is this home theater or do you actually have music that has appreciable content that low.
I know I'm not as much of a basshead as some of the guys around here, but I've never thought twice about replacing the x-13s. Of course, I don't listen to much electronica or synthetic instruments that put out that kind of low frequency! You've got me wondering if I'm missing out on something!
Now, TL is something I can get on board with!
I wonder if TLS guy can come up with a diy transmission line design that could give you your "15 hz fix" as well!?
KEW! How ya doin, man?! :)

I just wanna clarify, I never said "Need." Rather, "Want." :)

Pipe organ and some electronica are part of my listening. The occasional HT indulgences would obviously benefit, too. For me, it's not that the X-13s aren't doing a very good job, but whether it might be done better still by different design.
I would liken it to the argument for having Amps with more Headroom than one might ordinarily use (like having 5 2200s on tap, for example ;) ). I would like the same from my Sub in that I may never have pushed it to its full ~94dB CEA2010 potential at 16Hz, but consider that the Performance Paradigm of Concert Venues and Movie Theaters is much higher than that and I would just like to have that possible potential for that one moment every so often when I want to push it harder than I should.
:D
:cool:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
KEW! How ya doin, man?! :)

I just wanna clarify, I never said "Need." Rather, "Want." :)

Pipe organ and some electronica are part of my listening. The occasional HT indulgences would obviously benefit, too. For me, it's not that the X-13s aren't doing a very good job, but whether it might be done better still by different design.
I would liken it to the argument for having Amps with more Headroom than one might ordinarily use (like having 5 2200s on tap, for example ;) ). I would like the same from my Sub in that I may never have pushed it to its full ~94dB CEA2010 potential at 16Hz, but consider that the Performance Paradigm of Concert Venues and Movie Theaters is much higher than that and I would just like to have that possible potential for that one moment every so often when I want to push it harder than I should.
:D
:cool:
If you are wanting something to outperform the X13s, you will need to spend big. Those are very good subwoofers. I would be looking at JTR Captivators or that Monolith dual 15" for a really tangible upgrade. Something else you can do is just get more of them thereby smoothing out the response even more and getting the perfect bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis