My experiance with a Crown XLS power amp

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm interested too in hearing your perspective. My wife isn't a big fan of me spending additional money on audio equipment, so its easier all around to get a cheaper amp instead of an expensive one.
Is that receiver capable of driving those three speakers? Maybe you don't really need an amp.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
Before I post what I'm working on do the more critical folks have any links to or advice on what you would want to see to make what I post more useful to you?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Before I post what I'm working on do the more critical folks have any links to or advice on what you would want to see to make what I post more useful to you?
I'm already happy with the SQ of the DriveCore based amps. What I would like impressions on are the setup and build quality of the Gen II's. Also is the fan just as whisper quiet even under load as the Gen I's.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
I'm already happy with the SQ of the DriveCore based amps. What I would like impressions on are the setup and build quality of the Gen II's. Also is the fan just as whisper quiet even under load as the Gen I's.
The build quality is pretty good, I have no complaints at all. The unit look nice enough, better in person than the picture lets on. The dsp controls are easy to use and understand, being able to turn off the lights is very nice as they are very bright.

I have not heard any fan noise at all, Ill physically check this weekend to see if its coming on. I've done some listening at reference and not heard the fan running afterward and have never heard them during night time listening(when the kids are asleep).

The sleep/standby control use a 3 pin phoenix connector which the unit does not come with. I found that a little disappointing but not a big deal.

The SQ is nothing to complain about. I wondered about posting an AB compare from REW for the folks who like measurements. Im more than pleased with the improvements for 2 channel and HT and recommend you give it a try if you are in the market for an amp.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Didn't know it had a 12 volt trigger or you could enable front panel dimming. Along with consumer friendly inputs it's seems a really nice component.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
I decided to play NIN Hesitation Marks and switched to pure direct mode to make sure the amp got a workout. The fan did come on, it was inaudible and shutoff very quickly, less than 30 seconds after I turned the volume down.

I ended up listening to most of the album instead of getting ready to leave the house like I was supposed to. Listening at 90db the amps indicators only flickered the 20db till clipping lights and remained cool to the touch the entire time.

I had no idea my speakers had some much powerful deep extension until today. The imaging was is improved to the point that if I didn't know better I would swear the center channel was engaged.
The yamaha 2600 just didn't do my m80's justice.

Last edited:
D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Glad to see this. I decided to rework my system. Had a cheap Denon receiver and a 35 year old pair of Klipsch Forte's.

Only wanted to spend $7k for the new speakers and amps with spending more on the speakers of course. Found a set of used Salk HT3 with a center channel and a Salk 15" sub for $5k. Was going to order two of the big mono blocks from W4S. Then I checked and my Denon doesn't have a pre-out. Crap.

New plan, found a Onkyo reference level pre-amp at a thousand off at $1,499. So the W4S were out. Then I found the Crown 2502 for $550. Got a lot of really good stuff for my money, just not sure about the amp but I have heard good things about them.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Found a set of used Salk HT3 with a center channel and a Salk 15" sub for $5k.
This is a really deal for awesome speakers.
Salk technically doesn't make their own subs, but makes custom boxes for Rythmik - nothing wrong with that as Rythmik makes some really nice subs.

Given your speakers Salk HT3 - are 4ohm and only 84db efficient, having solid amp like Crown is probably good choice.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
This is a really deal for awesome speakers.
Salk technically doesn't make their own subs, but makes custom boxes for Rythmik - nothing wrong with that as Rythmik makes some really nice subs.

Given your speakers Salk HT3 - are 4ohm and only 84db efficient, having solid amp like Crown is probably good choice.
Yeah, they were about $11k new. I am driving 150 miles each way tomorrow to pick them up. And you are right about the Rythmik subs. But with all the braces and 1.5" thick wall he uses, thing weighs almost 200 lbs. Should be solid. I didn't really want the center, but he was selling them as a set and with that RAAL tweeter and the two SEAS drivers, I'll find something to use it for I am sure. May have to add another amp and use a center for HT.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
I would like to hear what your experience was once you get it all setup.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Got the speakers on Saturday. Really nice looking speakers. Sub is incredible. HT3's sound really good through the Denon, but they could use a bit more bottom end. My guess is the small Denon just doesn't have enough juice to drive them properly. I have to run it about 65% to 75% volume to sound decent.

The Pre and Crown 2502 will be delivered tomorrow. I will give you my impressions after that. But there is no doubt the speakers are very good. Can't wait to see how much difference the extra power makes.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Buying an amp knowing beforehand that you're going to run it in the bridged mode is not a good idea.
This doesn't apply to using a pro amp bridged to drive a sub though right?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This doesn't apply to using a pro amp bridged to drive a sub though right?
That would depend on how robust that amp is. Personally, I'd rather go for an amp that provided the needed oomph in it's native mode.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Is that receiver capable of driving those three speakers? Maybe you don't really need an amp.
Its not really about "needing" an amp, its about wanting to give them good power on the occasion I can listen to them in stereo. Based on the Stereophile review, my receiver will give them approximately 140 watts into 2 channels at 0.1% THD. Spread that into five channels and that's dropped to 110 watts. Honestly, I recognize that's more than enough for the room I have it in, but I can't help but to want to tinker with it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Its not really about "needing" an amp, its about wanting to give them good power on the occasion I can listen to them in stereo. Based on the Stereophile review, my receiver will give them approximately 140 watts into 2 channels at 0.1% THD. Spread that into five channels and that's dropped to 110 watts. Honestly, I recognize that's more than enough for the room I have it in, but I can't help but to want to tinker with it.
I am confused a bit. Can I presume you have only 3 channels powered from your list?
Also, when you say stereo listening do you mean two front speakers or 3?
If two, you will have 140 watts continuous power from that receiver. If 3, then somewhat more than 110 watts.
Also, I doubt you will have high powered mono signal going to all two or three speakers at exactly the same time that would require all the power. If stereo, signals will be different in each speaker and you could expect the full 140 watts to each channel and more for dynamic peaks, dynamic headroom.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Got the speakers on Saturday. Really nice looking speakers. Sub is incredible. HT3's sound really good through the Denon, but they could use a bit more bottom end. My guess is the small Denon just doesn't have enough juice to drive them properly. I have to run it about 65% to 75% volume to sound decent.

The Pre and Crown 2502 will be delivered tomorrow. I will give you my impressions after that. But there is no doubt the speakers are very good. Can't wait to see how much difference the extra power makes.
Got everything set up last night. Took a while, but man, the sound is just incredible. The 400+ wpc out of the Crown drive the Salks really well. Good mid bass and bass that I was missing with the small receiver I was using. I have no noise at all through the speakers with the pre and amp on and I have not heard the fan once, but I was not sitting next two it. I played at reference volumes last night for over an hour and never even got warm. I am sure it will get better as it gets burned in, but no issues at all so far.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Glad to hear your impressions. Your Crown is about as burned in as it's going to get. That happened in the first 10 minutes of use :)

Be good to hear your impressions a week or three out.

M

mikey d

Junior Audioholic
my biggest complaint now is that my mains are getting the power they need, they sound amazing (to me) and the integration of my sub into my system has made me unhappy.

Im working towards correcting some of the issues but I must admit in lacking in the knowledge realm a bit here. I want to order a minidsp and start experimenting REW. Ive read some articles that I can use REW with a feedback suppressor to flatten out my subs peaks. I've been just using my db meter and a tone generator to graph out response from my sub and the svs onboard controls to smooth it out with limited success.

If anyone is willing to offer me guidance it would be appreciated.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Get a Dayton Omni mic. Much easier than REW. If your sub has eq on it you should be good to go.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis