My DIY Projects (Pics) CC, Subs, mains and more

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
New to this Forum, don’t know how I missed this place before, I post on many audio sites and most already know about my projects but there seems to be a lot of monikers here I’m not familiar with, so, here is my album of projects if anyone is interested

My latest project is the Center Channel and is the most difficult single speaker project I’ve done to date with nearly a year of work and almost 1K in material cost. The Sonosubs are for sale as the newly installed IB does the sub duties now due to room constraints.

The link is in my sig line below.

Matt34

Matt34

WOW! I don't even know where to begin? That IB sub with the attic as the enclosure has got to bump just a bit.:p What amps are running those BTW?

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
Matt34 said:
WOW! I don't even know where to begin? That IB sub with the attic as the enclosure has got to bump just a bit.:p What amps are running those BTW?
The attic IB with the Avalanche 18" is series paralleled into two 2 ohm loads, A Mackie 1400i is the juice, maxed out in this config at 700W a channel (1400w total). Still could use a bit more power though, the amp will give out before the drivers.

annunaki

annunaki

You have some top notch wood working skills. It also appears as though you have very nice tools to boot. :)

I am curious, what model Scanspeak drivers and tweeters did you use (octagon style design speakers)? How are you crossing them over as well? Active, custom passives?

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
annunaki said:
You have some top notch wood working skills. It also appears as though you have very nice tools to boot. :)

I am curious, what model Scanspeak drivers and tweeters did you use (octagon style design speakers)? How are you crossing them over as well? Active, custom passives?

Thanks, actually my skills are probably not any more then a typical person, I usually make up for lack of skills with perseverance. Most of my projects take months to a year to complete because I will make prototypes and jigs to aid in the construction.:)

The Scan Speak drivers in the front three are all 8530-K00 (mains) and K01's on the center channel. The tweets are all Vifa XT25's and the whole 8 speaker system is all active using Marchand XM44-4 and XM9-3KK crossovers all mids and tweets are using LR 24db filters, the tweet/mids are at 2.8K and the 3 subs are a bit complicated to explain easily.

annunaki

annunaki

They look mighty impressive, but I have to ask, how do they sound? What is the enclosure volume for the Scanspeak drivers? I am kicking around the idea of doing my own as well. Most likely a bit more conventional than yours. ;)

Also, what other x-over points have you played with on the tweeter?

Thanks!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
kingdaddy said:
New to this Forum, don’t know how I missed this place before, I post on many audio sites and most already know about my projects but there seems to be a lot of monikers here I’m not familiar with, so, here is my album of projects if anyone is interested

My latest project is the Center Channel and is the most difficult single speaker project I’ve done to date with nearly a year of work and almost 1K in material cost. The Sonosubs are for sale as the newly installed IB does the sub duties now due to room constraints.

The link is in my sig line below.
Welcome, Kingdaddy. Still up to your same ol' insane level of building complexity, as usual, I see..... :)

-Chris

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
annunaki said:
They look mighty impressive, but I have to ask, how do they sound? What is the enclosure volume for the Scanspeak drivers? I am kicking around the idea of doing my own as well. Most likely a bit more conventional than yours. ;)

Also, what other x-over points have you played with on the tweeter?

Thanks!
Sound is fantastic now that I have it set up properly, however with such a complex system I must admit that there were times I thought I made a big mistake. The main strength with the speakers IMO is the imaging and detail, but extreme detail has caused other problems i never thought about, and that’s recording quality. A bad recording is really bad, a good recording is pure pleasure. The biggest weakness however has always been the room, 14'X14' with 8' ceiling, small rooms are terrible for bass and this room thing has nearly brought me to my knees. I Have recently added (6) 2’x4’ panel traps and that has helped quite a bit, so I've still got some work on the room, but the sound system is pretty much all I could want and the IB sub is capable of dealing with any low frequency signal I put in it down to 7Hz. One other nice thing about the mains is the ability to mechanically time align the tweets with the mid woofers, each tweeter pod can telescope up to 3”.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
kingdaddy said:
Sound is fantastic now that I have it set up properly, however with such a complex system I must admit that there were times I thought I made a big mistake. The main strength with the speakers IMO is the imaging and detail, but extreme detail has caused other problems i never thought about, and that’s recording quality. A bad recording is really bad, a good recording is pure pleasure. The biggest weakness however has always been the room, 14'X14' with 8' ceiling, small rooms are terrible for bass and this room thing has nearly brought me to my knees. I Have recently added (6) 2’x4’ panel traps and that has helped quite a bit, so I've still got some work on the room, but the sound system is pretty much all I could want and the IB sub is capable of dealing with any low frequency signal I put in it down to 7Hz. One other nice thing about the mains is the ability to mechanically time align the tweets with the mid woofers, each tweeter pod can telescope up to 3”.

When I become rich :)rolleyes: ) your going to build me subwoofers..:)

Seriously, great stuff. Your craftsmenship and detail is awesome.

One thing, with your IB sub, did you consider the Fan version that does 110dB and 1Hz? Your system is perfectly set up for it, its just a cost thing I guess.

SheepStar

Last edited:
kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
Sheep said:
When I become rich :)rolleyes: ) your going to build me subwoofers..:)

Seriously, great stuff. Your craftsmenship and detail is awesome.

One thing, with your IB sub, did you consider the Fan version that does 110dB and 1Hz? Your system is perfectly set up for it, it’s just a cost thing I guess.

SheepStar
You wouldnt want me to build you subwoofers, im way too slow, I do have my Sonosubs up for sale however, although they don’t have a good WAF like the IB does. The fan sub was never my kind of thing, but if the price was reasonable I might be interested, but not for 12K, maybe 1K would peak my interest.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.:)

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Thanks alot Kingdaddy,

Now after looking at your stuff, I can't stand the thought of going back to work on my diy speakers, Yea, thanks alot!

Mighty impressive indeed.

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
WmAx said:
Welcome, Kingdaddy. Still up to your same ol' insane level of building complexity, as usual, I see..... :)

-Chris

Hey Chris, glad your here, is this your regular hangout? I've been wondering where you were at, haven’t come across any of your posts on other forums lately. As you can see I’m making good use of your Linaeum account, thanks again.:)

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
droeses58 said:
Thanks alot Kingdaddy,

Now after looking at your stuff, I can't stand the thought of going back to work on my diy speakers, Yea, thanks alot!

Mighty impressive indeed.
Welcome............:D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
kingdaddy said:
Hey Chris, glad your here, is this your regular hangout? I
Yes, this has been my primary forum for perhaps a little over one year. This is my favorite forum because the majority cares only about objectively proven parameters concerning audio reproduction as opposed to those ideas that have been imagined out of thin air.

-Chris

T

t3031999

Audioholic
kingdaddy,

I have been looking to use some of the Scan-Speak sliced cone drivers like you have in your mains and front, Although I would probably use the 7" models.

My questions are: how do you like the sound of them? Are they everything you were looking to get from them? How's the detail, imaging, etc?

Have you tried them without the sub, if so, what's the bass extension like?

I've been debating between these and the magnesium cone Seas Excel drivers. I am looking for clean, detailed sound with good off-axis response.

kingdaddy

kingdaddy

Audioholic Intern
t3031999 said:
kingdaddy,

My questions are: how do you like the sound of them? Are they everything you were looking to get from them? How's the detail, imaging, etc?

Have you tried them without the sub, if so, what's the bass extension like?

I've been debating between these and the magnesium cone Seas Excel drivers. I am looking for clean, detailed sound with good off-axis response.
The 8530-K00 and K01 sound beautiful and extremely detailed and have good output to the low 40ies and high 30ies. Surprising amount of bass from such a small driver, but I would never run a single 8530 per channel. The only critique I have is the price, seems to me that there are probably many good drivers for less money.
:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis