My Denon 2910 Discovery

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I have discovered something in my Denon DVD 2910 that i want to run by you guys. I have been researching why my back up of DVD's are pixelating, stuttering, and freezing when I get about 3/4 of the way through a movie.

Overheating.

My theory is the player is getting too warm and causing the laser to not read the disc properly. I tried the same DVD in my Yamaha 657 in the bedroom, plays fine. Tried burning on many different medias, still does the same. Using the best, Fuji and Verbatim. Started the movie a few minutes later at the same place, about 3/4 of the way through, did not skip or stutter.

It has to be a heat thing. Can a fan be inserted in the player to correct this problem?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Johnny Canuck said:
I have discovered something in my Denon DVD 2910 that i want to run by you guys. I have been researching why my back up of DVD's are pixelating, stuttering, and freezing when I get about 3/4 of the way through a movie.

Overheating.

My theory is the player is getting too warm and causing the laser to not read the disc properly. I tried the same DVD in my Yamaha 657 in the bedroom, plays fine. Tried burning on many different medias, still does the same. Using the best, Fuji and Verbatim. Started the movie a few minutes later at the same place, about 3/4 of the way through, did not skip or stutter.

It has to be a heat thing. Can a fan be inserted in the player to correct this problem?
Why would that one heat up though? Have you placed your hand on that 2910 with a factory dvd and your own to see if you can feel a temp difference? But, that may not be a very good way as you will have such a time lag in comparing, not side by side:eek:

Maybe that 2910 just cannot properly read the data from a dvd burner?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Just to be sure, while the player is under warranty, I am sending it to Denon Canada. They recommended they take a look as the laser may be weak.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
They get hot. The Axion 7" player I won here at Audioholics gets toasty warm on long road trips, and does the same thing. The kids can't even hold it in their lap because of the high temps. Possibly put a fan in the cabinet, blowing over the air vents. Just make sure it's an ultra quiet fan, as some are down right annoying.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My 2200 got farily hot, and so does my 2900. I think that heat is from the disc motor and it is relatively normal, but your other errors (from the other threads) don't sound normal. That sucks man, it sounds like you just got a bad unit.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
99% of the time this is due to poor quality disc's and/or poor quality burn. These two are the main problems with backups. Try some Taiyo Yuden or similar quality disc's and burn no faster than 4x and you should never have an issue. You will also find that cheaper players are more forgiving of poor quality disc's/burns but many more expensive players are fussier and need a good read rate.

cheers :)

Last edited:
Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Thank you..nobody in town seems to have the Taiyo Yuden discs but I will order some on the net..thanks again

L

ltworf13

Audioholic Intern
LOLOL:D Back up DVD's I like that!!

I agree with MACCA350. I have about 6, lost count, diff. DVD players from cheap to very expensive and that is exactly what happens with the more expensive units. Fuji media isn't that great. If you can't find those other brands he suggests. Try the Maxell’s they are very good with backups;) and ya don't burn higher than 4x. FYI Anydvd + clonedvd are very good back up apps. Also the new nero is very similar plus it has and additional analyzing feature when burning. Since I started burning with this app. my one DVD player that gave problems has been much better.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I have used, to record, Nero, DVD Dycrypter, and the new ImgBurn, which is supposed to be fail proof. I never go over 2.4X speed. The Denon 2910 says "Fujifilm compatible" right on it. Fuji's usually work, not now,

maybe a bad batch.

anyways, sent it to Denon Canada while under warranty. Won't have it for a month or so, but i will know if the player is defective or not. Good piece of mind.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Brand names like Fujifilm, JVC and others often badge disc's from manufactures like Taiyo Yuden and Ritek and sell with their packaging. So you cant be guaranteed to have the same disk every time you buy a stack. You can check the Media Code from the disc(but these can also be faked, but rarely) by using a program like DVD Identifier. But the best solution is to buy OEM disc's from a reputable wholesale supplier who buys direct from the manufacturer, this way you know for sure that you are getting what you want.

cheers:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis