My busted Onkyo, a Yamaha and an RZ50

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I heard back from the repair shop that has my Onkyo TX-NR696. They said it was locked up and not broken. I do not know what that means as I did not speak to the tech. She said he went into some menu settings and now it works. Interesting. I hope she is right. We are having historic weather here this week, so I won't be able to get it back until probably Monday. They are billing Onkyo, so that is great.
In the meantime, I ordered an RZ50 today. Because of a reduced price on Amazon, I decided to pull the trigger. It might go back up at any time of course, since it is Amazon. But I like the pre-amp outs for future expansion. Funny that I'd buy another Onk after just having one (sort of) bust on me. TLS Guy suspects it was because my previous center I was using had too low of impedance and was possibly wreaking havoc on the amp. Now that I have the Cornwall, that situation has been alleviated.
I will check to make sure the NR696 indeed works and list it for sale.
Although...... I wonder if I should sell my Yamaha RX-A670 (which is a 6 year old amp) instead and then put the NR696 in the bedroom system. Opinions wanted! The Yamaha has been trouble free. The NR696 has not been so much.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Yamahas have been reliable for me. I have a 770 and a 2060. I do have an emergency fund for disasters, but I plan to run them as long as I can. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like the idea of using gear up in another system. Can't tell you which of the two avrs is more appropriate (or if the Yamaha has some lesser risk in terms of longevity from here on out...). Good luck.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I'll switch back and forth every week or so after the Crites center arrives hopefully next week. Maybe it'll reveal itself which one to keep. The Yamaha does do heights.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I heard back from the repair shop that has my Onkyo TX-NR696. They said it was locked up and not broken. I do not know what that means as I did not speak to the tech. She said he went into some menu settings and now it works. Interesting. I hope she is right. We are having historic weather here this week, so I won't be able to get it back until probably Monday. They are billing Onkyo, so that is great.
In the meantime, I ordered an RZ50 today. Because of a reduced price on Amazon, I decided to pull the trigger. It might go back up at any time of course, since it is Amazon. But I like the pre-amp outs for future expansion. Funny that I'd buy another Onk after just having one (sort of) bust on me. TLS Guy suspects it was because my previous center I was using had too low of impedance and was possibly wreaking havoc on the amp. Now that I have the Cornwall, that situation has been alleviated.
I will check to make sure the NR696 indeed works and list it for sale.
Although...... I wonder if I should sell my Yamaha RX-A670 (which is a 6 year old amp) instead and then put the NR696 in the bedroom system. Opinions wanted! The Yamaha has been trouble free. The NR696 has not been so much.
Well, if it was locked up and you had no means of unlocking it, then it was broken. If that is truly the case, then the unit contains software not ready for public release. I would not keep that unit.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'll switch back and forth every week or so after the Crites center arrives hopefully next week. Maybe it'll reveal itself which one to keep. The Yamaha does do heights.
No telling what it was and may have been a network glitch. The RZ50 processes 11 channels. so, get some more speakers and set it up for 7.1.4 and use the 696 to power two height channels. Disable its network features, configure it for 2.0 and run it in DIRECT mode for the height speakers using say, the CD analog inputs. You can change the input source display from CD to HEIGHT 2 and specify the power on volume to the level that you use to watch movies. It should do fine in that scenario. Why not keep it around and still get some use out of it?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
No telling what it was and may have been a network glitch. The RZ50 processes 11 channels. so, get some more speakers and set it up for 7.1.4 and use the 696 to power two height channels. Disable its network features, configure it for 2.0 and run it in DIRECT mode for the height speakers using say, the CD analog inputs. You can change the input source display from CD to HEIGHT 2 and specify the power on volume to the level that you use to watch movies. It should do fine in that scenario. Why not keep it around and still get some use out of it?
Man, you know your way around these Onkyos! Interesting possibilities. I could get creative and figure out what I can do. I am single, so running more wires up to the ceiling, no one's going to complain! I will hang on to it just in case. Thx!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Well, if it was locked up and you had no means of unlocking it, then it was broken. If that is truly the case, then the unit contains software not ready for public release. I would not keep that unit.
I am hoping it still works correctly. I might hang on to it in case I can use it like Trebdb83 suggests. Not sure yet.
I did sell the Academy center speaker and am temporarily using one of my Minimus 7's from a pair not being used for anything at the moment. It sounds surprisingly OK or even good. ha.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Searching on ebay, the TX-NR696 doesn't seem to fetch much at the moment.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The RZ50 processes 11 channels. so, get some more speakers and set it up for 7.1.4 and use the 696 to power two height channels.
Thx for your reply Trebdb83. I am going to add some mid-heights. I have 6 pairs of Minimus 7's around the house, all upgraded from stock. One pair isn't used at the moment. So, now they will all be spoken for! Parts express has nice wall mounts.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Good thing I didn't send my Onkyo TX-NR696 in for servicing again. I had to wait for the snow to melt where the box is in storage. Earlier this month, Trebdb83 told me about a new update that was supposed to fix buggy issues. It has been working perfectly ever since that download.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Update: the 696 locked up again. I will not hook it up ever again. Obvious I got a lemon.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It really is enough of the Onkyoblow nonsense. It is one unit of many out there. Accessories4Less hasn’t stayed in business all of these years selling refurbished Onkyos. They can thank Denon/Marantz for their orchards full of lemons.;)

Diagnosing problems sight unseen without any firsthand information is more the practice of talk radio and TV “doctors” than that of any experienced, respectable physician. Perhaps leopards can change their spots, and not for better in this case, it seems.:confused:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It really is enough of the Onkyoblow nonsense. It is one unit of many out there. Accessories4Less hasn’t stayed in business all of these years selling refurbished Onkyos. They can thank Denon/Marantz for their orchards full of lemons.;)

Diagnosing problems sight unseen without any firsthand information is more the practice of talk radio and TV “doctors” than that of any experienced, respectable physician. Perhaps leopards can change their spots, and not for better in this case, it seems.:confused:
Actually in years past, I had a disproportionate number of Onkyo units brought to me to fix. I was not impressed with them. I know they have new owners now, but the pedigree of those owners is not encouraging.

The whole design of this HT equipment is actually poor, and unintelligent design. If I was heading the design teams there would be radical changes pronto.

The design layouts need massive rethinking and improvement. Auto diagnostics and serviceability needs to radically improve. In addition when up grading you should not have to throw out large boxes. It should be updatable. Don't tell me this is impossible as home computers can be updated over many years. I know that because I have done it.

I have to say the rot set in with the start of Far Eastern manufacture back in the seventies.
I remember years of much better design, and still have some of it working in my system.

I know there is a much better way, and actually I personally think current design practices are appalling.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Update: the 696 locked up again. I will not hook it up ever again. Obvious I got a lemon.
Did you ever try a factory reset on the 696? Good luck! And know it is frustrating. Enjoy the RX50.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did you ever try a factory reset on the 696? Good luck! And know it is frustrating. Enjoy the RX50.
Yes, he should try this time. However last time this happened he could not reset it, and had to take it to the service center.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
RZ50, but thx! That name always reminds me of my Yamaha Rz350's. I had 3 of them. Super fast two-stroke motorcycles. Also had several of the predecessors, RD350 and RD400. One was a Daytona Special, which would be incredible to still own. So would a couple of the others I had. I'd love to build up another one, but those days are behind me.
I would try resetting it again, but that means I'd have to hook it up again and I am not interested in that. Still under warranty, so off it goes (shipping this time), then I will sell it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis