My Brother just about to Race his 1929 Bentley in the Le Mans Classic. Watch Live!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As above my brother Paul is just about to race his 1929 Bentley at Le Mans. His car number is 51.

Watch Live here now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

As above my brother Paul is just about to race his 1929 Bentley at Le Mans. His car number is 51.

Watch Live here now.

There are two more races tomorrow. Because of the time change the first race will be 8:30 PM today. It will be a night time race at 3:30 AM at Le Mans.
I don't think this race will be streamed as they don't stream at night.

The third and final race will be at 4:00 AM our time which is 11:OO AM tomorrow at Le Mans.

My brothers car placed 43 out of 70 contestants. First and second place where taken by two vintage Talbots.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That looks incredibly fun (if also a bit dangerous). I would love to take something out there like a vintage Porsche or early 90's Acura NSX out there. I doubt I could handle any modern car anywhere near their limits.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That looks incredibly fun (if also a bit dangerous). I would love to take something out there like a vintage Porsche or early 90's Acura NSX out there. I doubt I could handle any modern car anywhere near their limits.
In order to compete in these races at Le Mans and other circuits, you have to have a professional racing drivers license, the same as any formula one driver.

The Le Mans Classic is held every two years. There are six categories.

My brother has owned a number of classic cars over the years. He has a BMW and a souped up MGB in his garage in working racing order currently.

At the moment he is restoring a Bentley Derby that was the first Bentley to win Le Mans. Actually two were made including the backup car.

The other to the pair is in a museum on Jacksonville Florida. Unfortunately the records have been lost as to which one raced and which was the backup car. The restoration of this is a long term project, but well advanced.

He also has a rare 1970s Porsche undergoing restoration. He intends to race both.

Paul does not only circuit racing, but very long distance rallies. For instance he was on the re enactment of the Beijing to Paris run some years ago, and came in second in a Bentley Derby six cylinder.

In the car he raced today, he won the Liege (Belgium) to Cortina (Italy) when he was competing against vehicles as new as the seventies. This involved crossing the Alps and Dolomites in mid winter. He said nothing climbs a mountain like a four and half liter Bentley!

That 1929 car is a real handful to drive. The accelerator is between the brake and the clutch. The hand brake is outside the driver's door. There is no synchromesh in the gear box. In addition you have to set the ignition advance and retard from a control on the steering wheel. So when changing down, you have to release the clutch in neutral, brake with your right hand on the hand brake outside the drivers door, as you dip the accelerator to increase revs enough to slip it into the lower gear, and at the same time adjust the ignition from the control on the steering wheel. And of course you have to keep control of a 7.5 ton vehicle at all times! The best I can describe, is like driving a very high speed tractor.

I have driven the vehicle, but I have to say it was a difficult and somewhat scary experience.

I went in the car a week ago last Sunday, as Paul drove it to Enterprise rental when I drove our rental back. Then we went to the super market to get a few items for lunch. Wherever you stop, you gather a crowd. Last but not least the car makes an absolutely gorgeous throaty roar, especially as you accelerate. It will do just over 100 mph.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I believe the 29 Bentley was the original James Bond car in the first few books but not in the movies. It looks like an amazing car but your description of changing gears sounds like you have to an octopus to drive it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I believe the 29 Bentley was the original James Bond car in the first few books but not in the movies. It looks like an amazing car but your description of changing gears sounds like you have to an octopus to drive it.
Yes, you never seem to have enough limbs!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Mark shared quite a long video, for the class his brother races at starts from the 4:13:00 time mark.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That 1929 car is a real handful to drive. The accelerator is between the brake and the clutch. The hand brake is outside the driver's door. There is no synchromesh in the gear box. In addition you have to set the ignition advance and retard from a control on the steering wheel. So when changing down, you have to release the clutch in neutral, brake with your right hand on the hand brake outside the drivers door, as you dip the accelerator to increase revs enough to slip it into the lower gear, and at the same time adjust the ignition from the control on the steering wheel. And of course you have to keep control of a 7.5 ton vehicle at all times! The best I can describe, is like driving a very high speed tractor.

I have driven the vehicle, but I have to say it was a difficult and somewhat scary experience.

I went in the car a week ago last Sunday, as Paul drove it to Enterprise rental when I drove our rental back. Then we went to the super market to get a few items for lunch. Wherever you stop, you gather a crowd. Last but not least the car makes an absolutely gorgeous throaty roar, especially as you accelerate. It will do just over 100 mph.
Did you mean a 1.75 ton vehicle, not a 7.5 ton mass?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Did you mean a 1.75 ton vehicle, not a 7.5 ton mass?
Yes, I did a typo. From memory I thought they were 1.75 tons, but they are almost 2 tons at 1.92 tons. Either way, they are a very high speed tractor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis