My attempt at DIY cables...

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
hello all... I thought I would share some cables I have built over the last few weeks. While I realize these cables have done to improve my setup, I had fun making them.
The first speaker cable is just a simple attempt at using Techflex and heatshrink. Inside is a Beldon 4 cable 14ga and these run my rears.

The second is a simple power cable I made using 12ga 2 conductor power cable, techflex, heat shrink and power ends from Part Express.

The third is my latest and most difficult. I took 6 Cat5 cables and braided them together in pairs of 2. Then stripped the ends and twisted all the whites together and all the colors together (the took the longest time by far). I used some heat shrink and locking bananas. I haven't hooked this cable up yet as I have only made one thus far. I think I did this right? Anyone want to let me know if I did or didn't do this correctly...? Calling Mudcat...

So what do you think? Suggestions are always appreciated...

Attachments

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
edwelly said:
hello all... I thought I would share some cables I have built over the last few weeks. While I realize these cables have done to improve my setup, I had fun making them.
The first speaker cable is just a simple attempt at using Techflex and heatshrink. Inside is a Beldon 4 cable 14ga and these run my rears.

The second is a simple power cable I made using 12ga 2 conductor power cable, techflex, heat shrink and power ends from Part Express.

The third is my latest and most difficult. I took 6 Cat5 cables and braided them together in pairs of 2. Then stripped the ends and twisted all the whites together and all the colors together (the took the longest time by far). I used some heat shrink and locking bananas. I haven't hooked this cable up yet as I have only made one thus far. I think I did this right? Anyone want to let me know if I did or didn't do this correctly...? Calling Mudcat...
So what do you think? Suggestions are always appreciated...
They look really nice and clean workmanship. I only have a comment on your braided speaker cable. Seems like you have two wires running parallel, is that what you wanted to do? Enjoy them.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
thank you very much. It has been fun thus far. I am not sure wht you mean by "two wires running parrallel" - please explain further.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Looks good!

Wanna make me a pair, or 20. :D

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
edwelly said:
thank you very much. It has been fun thus far. I am not sure wht you mean by "two wires running parrallel" - please explain further.

That blue wire has 4 conductors braided, 2 pairs, right?

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
mtry - there are a total of 6 Cat5 cables. I then took the ends and seprated the color wires from the white wires. I used the colors as + and the whites as -

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
BogeyMan said:
The thumbnails are not visible to me. Are they available for viewing elsewhere?

I am looking to run some self made cables from components to TV and am looking for any or all advice in creating 20-30ft component video & audio runs.

My other post: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16415
I can send them to you in email form if you like but they are not video cables. Sorry... Just speaker and 1 power cable.

M

maxse

Junior Audioholic
what are you using to shrink the heatshrink? I am using a lighter and it is coming out very uneven and sometimes the heatshrink even burms a little. Any advice?

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
maxse said:
what are you using to shrink the heatshrink? I am using a lighter and it is coming out very uneven and sometimes the heatshrink even burms a little. Any advice?
Get a heat gun, they're cheap at HD or Lowes. At the very least, hold the heat shrink further away from the flame and rotate it more and faster.

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
maxse said:
It'll take longer but you can use a hair dryer as well.

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Yep, heat gun - I start off with the setting on high and then switch to low to make sure I do not burn any of the Techflex

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis