My 7 Channel System

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
DSCF1436(a).jpg

SYSTEM: MARANTZ SR5010, 3 QSC DCA 1222 AMPS. DRIVING THE FRONT CHANNELS IN ACTIVE BI-AMP CONFIG.
QSC DCA 1824 (4 CH. AMP.) FOR SURROUND CHANNELS
OPPO BDP-95, REVOX B77, TEAC AN-80 (NR), AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-LP1240, SHURE M97XE,
HITACHI HCA-8300, PANASONIC TH-50PZ80U, FURMAN PS-8R, APC H15
FRONT LEFT, CENTER & RIGHT SPEAKERS: DAYTON RSS390HF-4 SUB IN EACH CABINET CROSSING OVER TO 2 PEERLESS P830991 AND 1 AIRBORNE RT-4001, QSC XC-3 ACTIVE CINEMA CROSSOVERS (SUB-MIDRANGE) -ENCLOSURES: 7.8 CF DUCTED PORT (OWN DESIGN)
SURROUND L & R AND SURROUND BACK L & R: SB ACOUSTICS SB15MFC30-8 WITH AIRBORNE RT-4001
CABINETS: 0.38 CF DUCTED PORT (OWN DES.)

Attachments

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
View attachment 24200

SYSTEM: MARANTZ SR5010, 3 QSC DCA 1222 AMPS. DRIVING THE FRONT CHANNELS IN ACTIVE BI-AMP CONFIG.
QSC DCA 1824 (4 CH. AMP.) FOR SURROUND CHANNELS
OPPO BDP-95, REVOX B77, TEAC AN-80 (NR), AUDIO-TECHNICA AT-LP1240, SHURE M97XE,
HITACHI HCA-8300, PANASONIC TH-50PZ80U, FURMAN PS-8R, APC H15
FRONT LEFT, CENTER & RIGHT SPEAKERS: DAYTON RSS390HF-4 SUB IN EACH CABINET CROSSING OVER TO 2 PEERLESS P830991 AND 1 AIRBORNE RT-4001, QSC XC-3 ACTIVE CINEMA CROSSOVERS (SUB-MIDRANGE) -ENCLOSURES: 7.8 CF DUCTED PORT (OWN DESIGN)
SURROUND L & R AND SURROUND BACK L & R: SB ACOUSTICS SB15MFC30-8 WITH AIRBORNE RT-4001
In regards to your QSC DCA 1222, that’s what I would call power under the hood... nice set up!

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Impressive! Have you thought about going to a projector? Seems like the perfect room for it.

Where do you sit?

I love all the media on the wall too. Besides probably working as diffusors it is such a comfy atmosphere having a big library like that.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Impressive! Have you thought about going to a projector? Seems like the perfect room for it.

Where do you sit?

I love all the media on the wall too. Besides probably working as diffusors it is such a comfy atmosphere having a big library like that.
Thanks for your impression. That's always appreciated.

I've never thought of installing a projector. The system is installed in a 12.5 X 18 feet living room in a 3½ room apartment. I can't think of installing one. With the equipment I have, I can play at over 120 dB and at frequencies going down to 16 Hz and break my lease any time. :D
The building has concrete walls and floors fortunately; that was the minimum prerequisite for signing a lease.:D It's not completely isolated from neighbors, but really acceptable. One of my neighbors actually told me that she sometimes heard the music I was playing, when volume was around 85dB or above and that she liked it. I don't have any reason to complain then.

I have about 2500 CDs/SACDs/DVD-As, close to 600 DVDs/Blu-rays and over 100 reel-to-reel tapes in my collection.

Cheers,

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Holy Smokes! That has got to be loud!:eek::p:eek: That setup would most certainly get me evicted. Very impressive. Congrats! Enjoy! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for your impression. That's always appreciated.

I've never thought of installing a projector. The system is installed in a 12.5 X 18 feet living room in a 3½ room apartment. I can't think of installing one. With the equipment I have, I can play at over 120 dB and at frequencies going down to 16 Hz and break my lease any time. :D
The building has concrete walls and floors fortunately; that was the minimum prerequisite for signing a lease.:D It's not completely isolated from neighbors, but really acceptable. One of my neighbors actually told me that she sometimes heard the music I was playing, when volume was around 85dB or above and that she liked it. I don't have any reason to complain then.

I have about 2500 CDs/SACDs/DVD-As, close to 600 DVDs/Blu-rays and over 100 reel-to-reel tapes in my collection.

Cheers,
If you live in an apartment with that set up, you have some serious self control. I'm honestly really shocked you still have your lease.

Just curious as this was a bit before my time, but I thought reel to reel tape was a 60s/70s method of recording. Back then was a reel to reel recording machine a common play back device? Is that what the audiophiles of the 70s used?

Judging from your set up I'd assume your using it for play back. If so, what are your thoughts on reel to reel tape vs. vinyl's?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you live in an apartment with that set up, you have some serious self control. I'm honestly really shocked you still have your lease.

Just curious as this was a bit before my time, but I thought reel to reel tape was a 60s/70s method of recording. Back then was a reel to reel recording machine a common play back device? Is that what the audiophiles of the 70s used?

Judging from your set up I'd assume your using it for play back. If so, what are your thoughts on reel to reel tape vs. vinyl's?
In the 1960-70's. reel-to-reel was the best recording medium for studios and audiophiles. The Revox B77 deck which I have was about the best audiophile quality tape recorder which you could have at the time and it was among the last ones built for audiophiles. I now use it for playback only but it still can record. But with digital processing today, it is less complex than having to use magnetic tape, but you have to be careful not to allow the dB meter to exceed 0dB by one bit if you don't want the recording to show edginess as happens on so many CDs.

In my opinion, a well recorded commercial reel-to-reel tape sounds better than a vinyl. It has more dynamic range and this dynamic range can be increased with Dolby noise reduction processing and higher recording speeds (15 ips (and even 30 ips with some machines). To me, a good tape has more presence than any LP and is not subjected to clicks and pops after many playbacks as it happens with a vinyl.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nice setup. You won't be running out of power any time soon...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Where do you sit?

Thanks! My late reply but better late than never !

I sit about 5 feet in front of the console, so I have easy access to it.

This is an apartment living room. In any case, it wouldn't be big enough for the installation of a screen but most likely for a bigger TV at a later time.

Cheers,

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here are additional pictures of the bookshelf surround speakers which I built:
DSCF1565.jpg (Reduced).jpg
DSCF1181.jpg (reduced).jpg
DSCF1167.jpg (reduced).jpg
DSCF1178.jpg (reduced).jpg
DSCF1179.jpg (reduced).jpg

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I noticed the curved PE cabinets on the surrounds which you swapped out for the squared off variety for the rear surrounds. I have a pair of the curved ones too that ran about $500 for the pair in parts. I'm curious what your design might cost. I'm kind of itching to build something.

EDIT: Oh, and where do you get those little terminal thingies? In an electronics class, we had things you would place resistors into to solder them up to make circuits. Your terminal thingies look like half of those boards we used. Anything is better than using that presswood crap with holes all over.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I noticed the curved PE cabinets on the surrounds which you swapped out for the squared off variety for the rear surrounds. I have a pair of the curved ones too that ran about $500 for the pair in parts. I'm curious what your design might cost. I'm kind of itching to build something.

EDIT: Oh, and where do you get those little terminal thingies? In an electronics class, we had things you would place resistors into to solder them up to make circuits. Your terminal thingies look like half of those boards we used. Anything is better than using that presswood crap with holes all over.
The rectangular cabinets are indeed more practical when you want to lay them on their side. The pair cost me around C $600 overall to build several years ago. I used Solen polypropylene caps and inductors. The company is located nearby in the South Shore of Montreal.

As for the terminal thingies, I got them from an Hong Kong eBay seller. It seems that I cannot PM you?

Last edited:
HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I love the whole flow of that setup. There’s being an enthusiast of the hobby and then there is being passionate about the hobby! I can tell your of the Latter breed! Getting what you want doesn’t require spending a fortune on all of the equipment as long as you have patience, persistence, tenacity, and a whole whack of creativity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was curious about what looks like a molded baffle. It looks factory made.

I just noticed your apt. dweller status.

One of my neighbors actually told me that she sometimes heard the music I was playing, when volume was around 85dB or above and that she liked it.
Sounds like she wants you to come over and cut her grass. That's cool.
Don't forget the hedge trimmers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis