H

Harryoh

Audiophyte
I got my Rotel components several years ago after my mother passed away (meaning I really knew zero about them) an RX 1052 receiver and RCD 2072 CD player. I had to get speakers so I picked up an old pair of Paradigm 9se MK II. I've always assumed it was a good match but, as they say, the more I learn the less I realize I know.

Thought?
Opinions?
Suggestions?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Pretty good reviews on the Paradigms depending on how much you paid for them. Never heard them myself but the Rotels are quality components depending on age and condition...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What was the first question? :) Sounds like a decent setup. Does the system sound good? What did you expect to not "match" with components intended to mix and match, tho? Only thing I can see from a glance at spec is that perhaps the Rotel receiver isn't rated for 4 ohm for your speakers, but is likely adequate (altho perhaps not at high volume levels....). Might not be the best setup for a digital source but for analog looks fine.....and you can always add an outboard DAC for that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Most here will liekly agree that "matching" speakers to Amps... in the sense, say, that Marantz and Boston Acoustics have an affinity for each other... is pretty much cr@p.

If the speakers sound good to you: +1
If the Amp stage can drive the speakers with out protection circuitry tripping: +1
If you score at least 1 on this test, and your Amp hasn't blown up yet... you are probably fine! :p

H

Harryoh

Audiophyte
My question had two parts I suppose. 1 does the quality match up and 2 is the receiver rated High Enough to match the speakers. No, so far I haven't blown anything but I've barely pushed the volume to 60 and probably will never go any higher so I guess I'll never know what might blow up if I tried pushing it to 80 or 90 LOL
It's always sounded good what's great low ends because of the duel woofers, but I'd have to agree with One reviewer who described the speakers sound as being kind of "dark"

H

Harryoh

Audiophyte
What was the first question? :) Sounds like a decent setup. Does the system sound good? What did you expect to not "match" with components intended to mix and match, tho? Only thing I can see from a glance at spec is that perhaps the Rotel receiver isn't rated for 4 ohm for your speakers, but is likely adequate (altho perhaps not at high volume levels....). Might not be the best setup for a digital source but for analog looks fine.....and you can always add an outboard DAC for that.
Thanks but what the hell is an "outboard DAC"?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A Digital to Analog Converter sold in a box (or as a bare board sometimes) so you can add it to old analog gear. They come in various flavors as to capability and types of digital connections (usb, digital coax and optical would be the main types for 2ch audio). You can review extensive testing of them at audiosciencereview.com, DACs are the sites specialty.

H

Harryoh

Audiophyte
Pretty good reviews on the Paradigms depending on how much you paid for them. Never heard them myself but the Rotels are quality components depending on age and condition...
I think I paid $250 CDN (or about $1.95 US lol) 7 years ago for the pair of Paradigms. The Rotel stuff is in good shape.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis