mutiple subwoofer even out room response

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've seen and heard about this many times before and I'm now seeing the value in this because of yesterday's experiment. Yesterday, I wanted to tweek bass in my main system using the bass crawl method. I pulled out a test CD that I burned which had mp3 files of individual frequuencies. All of these frequencies have been recorded with the same signal strength,verified using Audacity. I disconnected one lead from each of the mains, inserted the CD, hit 7 channel stereo, and played 20, 30, 40, and 50 Hz frequencies. I noticed that 40 and 50 HZ locations were louder in different areas of the room compared to that of the 20 and 30Hz which was loudest at the original subwoofer location. If I bought a second Rythmik and put it in the location where the 40-50Hz location was the loudest, then would I would have a more even bass response compared to what I have now? It doesn't surprise me that the bass is loudest with different frequencies in different areas of the room based on wavelength alone.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you have only one sub right now? Multiple subs will always help even out the bass response. As far as placement goes the spot you found sounds like it would be a great place to start for sure.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I only have 1 sub in each of my systems. What I tried to explain is that evening out bass response by employing multiple subs is frequency dependent based on room location. Each location of the sub within the room will have a different frequency affect. My current sub's location is good for the 20 to 30 Hz range. Buying the 2nd sub and placing it in the corner beside my listener position will augment the 40 to 50 Hz range thus smoothing out the 20 to 50 Hz range from my listener position. This is how I'm understanding this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could download REW and play around with the room simulator function to predict room modes, too. Don't need a measurement mic to use it....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis