Music vs. Home Theater Setup

J

JAB11

Enthusiast
I've got a decent home theater 5.1.2 setup (Denon X1600H, all Def Tek Pro2000center/front/surround bookshelfs, B&W M1 front heights and a sub). I do like listening to music and it's not exactly an inspiring setup for that. I'm toying with the idea of grabbing a NAD or Sonos amp and a couple of high quality bookshelf speakers to listen to streaming music separate from the home theater, or is there some way to do both from the same system? I assume the Denon isn't the greatest for music reproduction, my speakers are average, is the home theater upgradeable to something noticeably different for music or should I just have a second type of system in the same room? I figure an amp and speakers might be $1400ish, maybe the money is better spent somehow upgrading what I have to do both.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've got a decent home theater 5.1.2 setup (Denon X1600H, all Def Tek Pro2000center/front/surround bookshelfs, B&W M1 front heights and a sub). I do like listening to music and it's not exactly an inspiring setup for that. I'm toying with the idea of grabbing a NAD or Sonos amp and a couple of high quality bookshelf speakers to listen to streaming music separate from the home theater, or is there some way to do both from the same system? I assume the Denon isn't the greatest for music reproduction, my speakers are average, is the home theater upgradeable to something noticeably different for music or should I just have a second type of system in the same room? I figure an amp and speakers might be $1400ish, maybe the money is better spent somehow upgrading what I have to do both.
There is absolutely no conflict between a good theater system and a good music system. If it is bad for music, then it is no good for theater either.

So I would upgrade your theater system.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Concentrate on upgrading your front L/R speakers (and to a lesser extent the center channel).
- I would not expect any discernible improvement from AVR/amp upgrade, unless new speakers are beyond ability of current Denon to drive them.
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

J

JAB11

Enthusiast
Definite Technology ProMonitor 1000 are the front and surround speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What are you using for your main L/R?
Def tech pro2000 LCR

OP, imo as tls mentioned, there should not be a separate system approach. I believe in one system to rule them all. What is your sub/s?
I would start with the mains and center and subwoofer. Experiment with positioning and make sure you have good integration with the sub/s and mains.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oops. Thought I fat fingered the pro2000 but it is in the OP.

Agreed. Those will NOT deliver a big lifelike sound.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Keeping your current receiver something like these would give better sound quality

J

JAB11

Enthusiast
The sub is an old JBL (10+ years?), long discontinued. So what I’m hearing thus far is stay with one system, upgrade front L/R, sub and center, the Denon amp will work fine for both theater and music. And, how important is it that the front L/R and center brand of speaker match? The music by the way is a little “flat” sounding, could be the speakers. I also see Denon recommends the Auto EQ feature which I use so I am not controlling bass/treb/mids on my own - wonder if that is something to change too or if better speakers will just bring everything to life. Thanks for the input, expensive decisions.

Trying not to get off topic, but do you listen to music on Neural X, Dolby Sur, Multi Ch Stereo, 2 ch stereo, etc.? The Denon receiver provides all of these choices for music playback.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
One system.
Period.
Lose the DefTechs as you can. Start with upgrading your front 3 and Sub(s). It's OK if you want to slide the DTs around and build a 7.x system... eventually you will outgrow those there, too.
Eventually you will upgrade your electronics, but that is not SQ, rather connectivity and room correction more than anything else.

Regardless, start small and plan for the change. Get the best Front 3 and single Sub you can allow yourself to afford, as soon as possible. Add a second matching sub when you can. If you do it smartly, this could be the foundation of your system for 5-10 yrs, maybe longer.

What is your budget?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
One system.
Period.
Lose the DefTechs as you can. Start with upgrading your front 3 and Sub(s). It's OK if you want to slide the DTs around and build a 7.x system... eventually you will outgrow those there, too.
Eventually you will upgrade your electronics, but that is not SQ, rather connectivity and room correction more than anything else.

Regardless, start small and plan for the change. Get the best Front 3 and single Sub you can allow yourself to afford, as soon as possible. Add a second matching sub when you can. If you do it smartly, this could be the foundation of your system for 5-10 yrs, maybe longer.

What is your budget?
Hey rynodyno!!! Hope you’re safe out there brother.

I agree with all of this. Imo, the LCR should ideally be from the same line, but it’s not necessarily a deal breaker either. I’ve had Frankenstein systems and IME, matching is better. So yes. I think you’ve gotten the gist of what we’re saying. So...do you have a budget? Or are we going down a path with no return? Lol

J

JAB11

Enthusiast

I agree with all of this. Imo, the LCR should ideally be from the same line, but it’s not necessarily a deal breaker either. I’ve had Frankenstein systems and IME, matching is better. So yes. I think you’ve gotten the gist of what we’re saying. So...do you have a budget? Or are we going down a path with no return? Lol
I was thinking $1500+ initially to get some high(er) quality sounding music from my current theater system. Can’t say I am disappointed with the theater sound today but I know what I don’t know so maybe speakers would be a game changer. It seems L/C/R are the priorities for best overall initial investment? Compactness is important, trying to avoid heavy/towers gear, never know what room the gear could end up in.

I’d spend what I have to to for an upgrade in sound without going overboard. If a sub upgrade is needed, then so be it. I have this thought that spending a lot of money on a different sounding low frequency than the old JBL sub I have will be noticeable, but that’s why I ask you all on the forum for guidance. Ultimately I want an easy to use, high(er) quality system to watch movies and listen to music.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Compactness is important, trying to avoid heavy/towers gear, never know what room the gear could end up in.

Ultimately I want an easy to use, high(er) quality system to watch movies and listen to music.
You already have "Compactness". Doesn't seen to work so why ask for the same thing?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

Bill, we be safe, for now. That’s the sky this morning... around 8,9am. No filter applied.
1D294DA3-3372-49FE-B6C1-EA32444DB37A.jpeg

Streetlights still on, headlights still on. Apocalyptic AF.

Still have my fingers crossed I don’t have to try and pack out the 3s again... or if it goes that way, I have the luxury of time to do so.

FML
(And that’s the royal ‘my.’ E’rybody out here on the west side is f’n stressed to the breaking point right now.)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Bill, we be safe, for now. That’s the sky this morning... around 8,9am. No filter applied.
View attachment 39658
Streetlights still on, headlights still on. Apocalyptic AF.

Still have my fingers crossed I don’t have to try and pack out the 3s again... or if it goes that way, I have the luxury of time to do so.

FML
(And that’s the royal ‘my.’ E’rybody out here on the west side is f’n stressed to the breaking point right now.)
I swear I’ve see that scene in a movie somewhere! Looks horrible. Can’t imagine.

J

JAB11

Enthusiast
You already have "Compactness". Doesn't seen to work so why ask for the same thing?
There seems to be a lot of product out there between the small monitor size speakers I have now and towers. So a bookshelf realm of size would be great, but if I don't get a solid upgrade in sound for music/movies then I'd have to reevaluate the "go big or stay home" option.,

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There seems to be a lot of product out there between the small monitor size speakers I have now and towers. So a bookshelf realm of size would be great, but if I don't get a solid upgrade in sound for music/movies then I'd have to reevaluate the "go big or stay home" option.,
There are definitely good BS options out there. Especially paired with good subs. I am a towers guy, but there are good options. Such as SVS ultra BS. In fact, one of our favorite members, @Pogre has some for sale. Hmmmm

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There are definitely good BS options out there. Especially paired with good subs. I am a towers guy, but there are good options. Such as SVS ultra BS. In fact, one of our favorite members, @Pogre has some for sale. Hmmmm
Brotha Bill! Yup, the Ultra set is still for sale!

Tho I think shipping would kill a deal for me so prefer local. If you happen to be in the general Phoenix area I can pretty easily set up a demo. I have 3 books, used 1 for my center channel I can let go for $1100 for all 3...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis