Music Streaming Options: Buy or Build? Help Needed

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've posted but I'm facing a decision and would love to hear your expert opinions.

I am a Squezebox Duet owner and I've been aware of its quality issues but I've been streaming optical out of the SB into my Integra DTR 7.8. I recently purchased a NAS (used Synology 411) to accommodate my growing storage needs. I've had connectivity issues with my Logitech Media Server on Windows 8.1 and now - I'm over Squeezebox.

My initial thought was HTPC. I did some research (here's a great resource btw http://mymediaexperience.com/) and picked out a mid-line configuration, planning on Kodi. Then I got cold feet thinking through the integration with my existing cable (Verizon FIOS). I’m not ready to be a cord cutter. Further, reading a number of sites etc. there seems to be some pretty low level operating system and coding sometimes required, which while I can probably make do, it’s not where I want to spend my time. Lastly, I think the HTPC configuration would be limited to streaming to my Integra without the option of a DAC upgrade (its Burr Brown 1796 DAC is 8 years old or older). So, TV and video are not my priority.

Which turned me to a Network Music Player – I started to refocus on a purpose-built music streamer, noticed the greatly discounted NAD C446, the Pioneer N50A, the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 and CNX, and a couple of others. Prices are generally higher than the HTPC, and this will not allow me to “grow” into TV streaming if I wanted to later. The upside of a music streamer is the possibly better DAC opportunity. I don’t know if it’s helpful to try to pick a DAC from the spec sheet but having a unit here will allow me to do A/B testing and maybe get a great pickup in my Hi-Fi. My new Goldenear Triton One’s have a lot of soundstage so I may be able to kill two birds with one stone (replace SB and upgrade my listening experience). Above and beyond the higher res music files I’d be able to stream.

I thik my requirements for a streamer are pretty simple: High res streaming (192+/24 or 32), Gapless playback, Pandora service plug-in. Having a great user experience in the player/renderer would also be a plus. I understand Minimserver and Plex are options I should consider, you may suggest more.

So, if you were me would you-

a) Stay with the HTPC option and maybe add some DACs (if that's even possible for a DIY)?

b) Forget HTPC and stick with the purpose built streamer, if so which would you pick? Or what features should be on my minimum list? It hurts to get to the $1000-1100 for this but that looks like the cost of entry for quality.

What do you suggest? Thank you all for getting this far and giving me your opinions and advice.

Mark

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Kodi is very flexible, but also requires more fiddling. Have you heard about Plex?
It has several advantages over Kodi - like central watch status including pause/resume from any client
Imo better media scrapper (I used both) - transcoding to mobile devices, with a bit of networking setup (simple port forwarding) you can enable plex to be available on any device or using plex web portal

The good news you could install plex server directly on your new nas.

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
That's helpful BSA, thanks! If I go with HTPC I'll definitely look hard at Plex. Appreciate the advice.

jinjuku

jinjuku

A HTPC is going to afford you more flexibility. Including better / more robust DAC options.

Although any of the integrated solutions will surely deliver on the Audio SQ front they lack the video portion as you said and they are one trick ponies.

A

Archimago

Enthusiast
I would also advocate the HTPC route although I love the Squeezebox system and the Transporter / SB3 / SB Boom / SB Radio remain my main players in the home.

Quiet, small, powerful HTPCs are straightforward to build these days.

I wonder why you're having issues with LMS and your Windows setup however. I've been running LMS with minimal issue for years and extremely reliably.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis